This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sh! It's a Library!

Today, I had to use the library for research for my thesis paper for English class. At the library, I pulled a few books, took out my note cards, and began.

I heard the little bell ting that signaled someone coming in. I look and notice that the group of girls that walked in are sophmores at my school. I turn back around and keep on working.

Out of the three girls, only one is speaking.

L= Librarian
    G= Girl

G:"Can we use the computers?" She was speaking in a normal voice, which is a no-no.
    L: "Do you have a card or parental permission?"
    The girls look at each other and the ring leader shakes her head.
    L:"Then I cannot let you use the computers."
    G: "How old do you have to be to use the computers without parent permission?"
    L: "Eighteen."
    G: "We really need to use the computers!"
    L: "I can't do anything for you."

So the group of girls go sit on the couches. Silence for a minute.

Then I hear one of the girls, talking loudly in Spanish on the phone.

The librarian went over to her and told her to take it outside.

So, she takes it to the foyer, where everyone can still hear her.

Rude much? I'm lucky I got done what I did during that time.

As a side note: I'm excited about this paper. We had to pick anything to deal with England and I chose Pride and Prejudice. My thesis statement is : Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is a popular classic because it is ahead of its time, has a familiar love story, and has detailed descriptions.

I know it sounds horrible, but the teacher is being leninent and says it's ok to use the word 'because', since it is our first thesis paper. I am excited, though.
    "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Off topic-YAY for Pride and Prejudice! I'm also doing it but putting it more in the context of Regency England.

On topic: I hate entitlement whores, especially the rude kind.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

There's a new book out called 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' by Seth Grahame-Smith.

Perhaps that would help your research?

Good luck!

Comment

Quoth Igorina View Post
        There's a new book out called 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' by Seth Grahame-Smith.

Perhaps that would help your research?

Good luck!
        checking this out immediately

Comment

In our Library, normal voices at the Ref desk and the Public Access computers are fine. It's also okay to use cell phones in that area. We don't find that terribly annoying.

What we do find annoying are people who are over-reverent in a Library. Most of these seem to be European visitors. We appreciate that their trying to be polite but the combination of an accent and words muttered just above the threshold of hearing make service very difficult. I've reached the age where I can say, "Could you speak a little louder, please? I'm a bit hard of hearing." even though my hearing is fine.

Years ago, I remember a situation some years ago when our Library was in a different location. The Library then was not a quiet one. It was a place where visiting scholars would discuss things with our guys. Often, the discussions would get a bit heated.

One day, we had some girls come in to do research. They were trying to be on their best Library behavior. To them, that meant speaking in the loudest and most irritating whisper possible. It's hard to describe but it was the vocal equivalent of kids 'not running' at the pool.

We told them it was fine to speak in a normal voice but they weren't buying it. They were settled with their research materials when one of our Curators and a visiting scholar burst into the place. Their discussion was very animated.

"Wait, Luigi, I'll show you exactly what I mean!"

Books were pulled from the shelves and spread out on the table beside the one our young lady researchers occupied. Fingers were stabbed at passages and illustrations as the voice boomed out.

"THERE! THERE! THAT'S WHAT I MEAN!"

Luigi's response was equally fervent.

The girls looked around and their reaction to this sort of talk in a Library can only be described as

""

For the rest of their time with us they spoke in normal tones to the great relief of all.
          Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Our library is teeny tiny, so once you walk into the foyer, no talking unless it's whispering because the WHOLE library will be able to hear you.
            "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

Comment

Heh the cellphone thing reminds me of why they're not allowed in Librarys in my area anymore... too many loud conversations on the phones.

aaaaaand why is it I can't get that one All That sketch out of my head.

QUIET! THIS IS A LIBARY!!!!!!111eleventy!1

Comment

Quoth bunnyboy View Post
                aaaaaand why is it I can't get that one All That sketch out of my head.

QUIET! THIS IS A LIBARY!!!!!!111eleventy!1
                I know what you're talking about!!

Comment

Look for a recent paperback "The Annotated Pride and Prejudice". The full text of the novel on each left page, with textual and historical notes on the right. The annotations are quite good, filling in things like the meaning of different conveyances, the system of entails (why property passed from son to son), income levels and class differences, and some notes to help interpret the flow of the story.
                  I do love that book; also Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Persuasion, Emma, and Northanger Abbey.

Comment

I'll add to this thread, since this is library-related.

Every Monday I go with Mom when she takes nephew to his GED classes, because the library stays open till 8:30 on Mondays. I can get some test studying done, complete any homework due, and still have time to get myself a book to read and maybe some DVDs to watch. I shall now write an open letter to my fellow 'patrons' that joined me tonight.

Dear WoW moron,

Normally I don't care what you people do when you bring in your laptops and use the library's connections to play games or watch videos. I do, however, have an issue with the fact that you had a headset on, talking to one of your fellow basement-dwelling companions and trying to teach them the ins and outs of this game. For over an hour and a half, a large section of the building could hear you saying things like:

"Click on the robot. The robot. Click on the robot, there's a little machine down there, click on the robot. Did you click on the robot? Click on the robot."

"Stop running, dammit!"

"Ok, let's use *some sort of move I'm not familiar with as I'm not a gamer* so we don't have to keep walkin'."

Really, how lazy have you become as a person if you can't bear the thought of making your RPG character walk as opposed to some easier method, let alone yourself.

"You need to go turn your quest in. Did you go turn your quest in? You need to go up and turn your quest in. Turn your quest in."

"That's beautiful, that's how it's done there! I'm proud of you."

You sir, are at least 30 if you're a day. And while all this was going on, your two young daughters were galloping back and forth bringing books from the children's section, reading them aloud, and desperately trying to get your attention so they could show off to you how well they read. I don't have the heart to be mad at them for the loud and repeated yells of "Daddy. Daddy. Dad. Daddy. DADDY! Daddy look at me, see what I can do!" because at least they were reading. It's them I'll feel badly for, and not you, when you look up from your pixilated world on a screen and are startled to realize that they're graduating college and you can't remember when it happened. I leave you with the parting words of 'Kindly STFU, you are in a library. Also, grow up and get a job, please.'

Unkindly signed, LB

To the two women who met in the magazine/newspaper area, I'll just cut to the chase and tell you to kindly lower your damn obnoxious voices or STFU altogether as well. The entire building now knows about what your cousins and daughters and daughters cousins did last week and why it made you mad. We also know your undying dream of going on a cruise and blowing every last dime in your pocket in the slot machines. Next time, please go to Starbucks or KFC or maybe someplace where your loudness can't be heard as well. I think a drag racetrack might just be loud enough to cover your noise.

Yeah, didn't get much studying done. Hopefully it won't affect my test too much tomorrow morning; I usually do pretty well. I did get four DVDs to eat away my time watch this week though
                    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Working...
                    X