X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My day made my head hurt.....

@ the Dollar Store

So, I'm at the dollar store picking up some cheap, craft type stuff for a school project. I'm waiting in line and I hear over the speaker system "We have a little girl here, with a pink striped sweater named *A* looking for her mommy. Please come to front if this is your child."

I thought it was a fairly normal announcement, kids wander off/parents dont pay attention, whatever...it happens. Anyway, this lady comes skipping () to the front and giggles a little and says "Aww..come here*A*"...And the little girl A goes running over happily saying "Grandma.." and they walk away together. I hear the grandma say loudly down the aisle...

Grandma: "Hey *B*...I found your daughter.
    A's Mom: OG MI GAWD!!!!!!! Was that for her that they called overhead?!?!?!??
    Grandma: Yeah, didnt you hear them, they described what she was wearing.
    AM: I dont know what the hell shes wearing!! Hey *A* come here.
    *A* goes over.
    AM: Dont you ever do that again....you dont ask people for help..thats just embarassing. I cant believe you just did that to me.
    *Little girl frowns and then they walk away,*

So nice job lady, you just instructed a 4 year old girl to never ask for help b/c you'll be too embarassed....you jackass.

Bonus: Is that really surprising??

If you're standing at the top of a very BUSY public stairway of a hospital having a conversation, are you really going to be surprised when you're smacked in the face by the door? Yes??? Oh ..ok. Watch out for that door then.

BG: I came through the door and almost hit two ladies having a conversation,I go down the stairs and they then moved even CLOSER to the door resulting in the one lady getting smacked in the face by the door...... Some people never learn...

Quoth Amina516 View Post
    AM: Dont you ever do that again....you dont ask people for help..thats just embarassing. I cant believe you just did that to me.
    *Little girl frowns and then they walk away,*

So nice job lady, you just instructed a 4 year old girl to never ask for help b/c you'll be too embarassed....you jackass.

What if she had gotten lost in an amusement park or a large public area? Is she going to tell the people who try to help her that they can't, because her mommy will be too mortified to get her child back?

I'm hoping the grandmother can fix that notion, or the girl will do the right thing and ignore it.
    It's like the people in Vegas who have sex in video-monitored elevators.. -MoxisPilot
    The elevators are monitored?!!! OH CRAP!!! -Sheldonrs

Comment

Any chance of the "Mother" from the first story standing in front of the door in the 2nd story?
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
        BG: I came through the door and almost hit two ladies having a conversation,I go down the stairs and they then moved even CLOSER to the door resulting in the one lady getting smacked in the face by the door...... Some people never learn...
        Same people that stop at the end of the escalator to discuss where they're going, while people are trying to get off. I have gotten into the habit of yelling, "Excuse me."
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

dont most people usually dress their children or even NOTICE the kids gone so when an announcements made they go to see if its theirs?

oh wait, thats logical.

Comment

Whenever I took any of the brats (my neices and/or nephews) out and about, I made sure to memorize what they were wearing just in case they wandered away.

Just made sense to me.
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

yeah, doesn't bother remembering what her kid was wearing
              doesn't want the kid to seek help if she gets lost

parent of the year indeed

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                @ the Dollar Store

Because the back of a milk carton is a great way to start your career as a photo model.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                  And here we have another candidate for the Idiot "Parent" of the Year Award.

It reminds me of one day last summer at Major Electronics Retailer, shortly after my surgery. I worked the front security station so I wouldn't have to walk so much. Two kids (about seven and five, I would guess) came up and told me they couldn't find their mother. So I invited them over to my little desk so they could see the security monitor, and I used our motorized store cameras to help them find their "fat mommy in a bright red sweater" (their description). We finally figured out where she was. I told the kids it was very smart of them to ask for help from someone in uniform when they got lost, and they happily ran off to rejoin their mother.

The mother glared at me about 20 minutes later on her way out of the store, but the kids smiled and waved. I wonder if it was a similar situation.
                  I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                  - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                  - IPF

Comment

Sadly, it seems the kids realize they're lost and look for help at least 10-minutes before the parents realize they're gone.

Also, I hate a person in uniform being used to scare kids into behaving. We get parents who will tell their kids 'if you're not good that 'police man' is going to arrest you!' And we had one parent tell her kid 'if you don't behave that cop will shoot you!' My coworker told her NOT to say that and told the kid not to be scared. What kind of environment must he have at home?
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth artifical sweetner View Post
                      dont most people usually dress their children or even NOTICE the kids gone so when an announcements made they go to see if its theirs?

oh wait, thats logical.
                      Hell, when we went to the Big E (giant multi-state fair), we took pics on the cell phones of both kids, and stuffed our cell #'s in the older one's pocket, just in case we got separated. The younger was riding around in his covered wagon (which everyone loved! ) so we weren't too worried about losing him.
                      Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth AriRashkae View Post
                        Hell, when we went to the Big E (giant multi-state fair), we took pics on the cell phones of both kids, and stuffed our cell #'s in the older one's pocket, just in case we got separated. The younger was riding around in his covered wagon (which everyone loved! ) so we weren't too worried about losing him.
                        That's an awesome idea. I know some friends who wrote their contact info on a note they stuffed in their daughter's pocket when she went on a trip with her Grandma, just in case. Our own daughter's winter coats (and maybe some of the others; I'd have to check) actually have labels sewn to the inside for writing down parental contact information.

I also plan on making sure my kids are aware that they can go to anyone in uniform to ask for help if they get lost, though with our daughter (age two) right now, we use the monkey harness we bought her when she's not in a stroller or shopping cart.
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

can't get much more current than a pic taken a few minutes to hours ago. Only thing it might be missing would be fresh scrapes or food stains. Then we don't have to worry about remembering what he was wearing while we're freaking out about losing him.

We're planning on doing that anytime we go to large event for more than a few hours.
                          Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

OooOoo isnt the big E a blast? I finally went this past fall [only lived in CT since 1990 ... ] I had my manual transport chair, next year we decided i would rent a scooter =)

though I missed out on the baked potatoes, I ate WAY too much yummy food...

Did you take the kids through the animal barns? they had some of the cutest sheep in there, made me want to get more sheepz - I miss my sheep =(

can't get much more current than a pic taken a few minutes to hours ago. Only thing it might be missing would be fresh scrapes or food stains. Then we don't have to worry about remembering what he was wearing while we're freaking out about losing him.

We're planning on doing that anytime we go to large event for more than a few hours.
                            That is actually very good advice, I m going to keep it in mind and pass it along. I have a fair number of friends with young kids.

Another thing you might do, is take a viscot medical marker [or heck, just a regular sharpie indelible marker] and write their name and your contact number somewhere hidden under clothing, in case someone grabs them and does a clothing change, or maybe add a fancy hair braid or tiny cute temporary tattoo of something colorful that can be seen on a general lookaround.
                            Last edited by Broomjockey; 04-16-2009, 08:30 PM. Reason: multi-quote
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                              OooOoo isnt the big E a blast? I finally went this past fall [only lived in CT since 1990 ... ] I had my manual transport chair, next year we decided i would rent a scooter =)

though I missed out on the baked potatoes, I ate WAY too much yummy food...

Did you take the kids through the animal barns? they had some of the cutest sheep in there, made me want to get more sheepz - I miss my sheep =(
                              They were really only interested in the hatchery, since they can see all the other animals by looking out the window. Lots of rides, although we missed out on the unlimited rides tickets. And the covered wagon came in very handy when it started raining. We slit a couple clear garbage bags and taped them down. Everything stayed nice and dry.

Comment

Working...
                              X