This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Just Gets Worse and Worse.

I've posted here about a University student who didn't know what an Editor was. I've written about the Honor Student who needed a step-by-step. letter-by-letter hand-holding to learn how to write a decent citation for her paper.

I've posted about a University student who didn't know how to read the flashy typography on a book jacket and about others who didn't know how to use an index in a book. I've even encountered a University student who couldn't recognize a Table of Contents when he saw one. Today was the worst.

At Lunch, I was chatting with another employee of the Museum. He was asking me about what life was like in the Library. On a Lark, I told him about the Professor who gave his students an insane assignment. One of the questions they had to answer was,

"Where does the Occident begin and end? Provide exact co-ordinates."

I expected a laugh but there was a thoughtful. pregnant pause and then, the guy said,

"I don't know what an Occident is."

I tried to be respectful and kind but there's only so much you can do with a hit with that! Hey, dude! The Occident is the Western World. We're talking here about Europe. We're talking about North and South America. Australia and New Zealand are also parts of the Occident.

His response?

"Oh, yeah, I guess I wasn't there when the teacher covered that in 'Global History'."

Please know, this is a personable and seemingly intelligent young man. He has an Associate Degree and a position in the Museum that means he must wear a tie to work. This young man is also getting married in the Fall.

May the deities of your choice help us all!
    Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

In all my years of schooling I've never heard the term "Occident". I had to Google the term to really understand it.

I have a Bachelor's degree and consider myself a fairly intelligent person even if my knowledge is better informed in the areas of math, science, art, and random facts (english/writing was always my worst subject).

Was the guy you were talking to expected to know a term like this? I just not seeing where the "suck" comes into play here...

Comment

Quoth LibraryLady View Post

Please know, this is a personable and seemingly intelligent young man. He has an Associate Degree and a position in the Museum that means he must wear a tie to work. This young man is also getting married in the Fall.

May the deities of your choice help us all!

I guess that I am stupid by your standards. I have not gone to a university or to a collage. And I still don't know what that is. I had to look it up also.

I know what you meant by that, but you could have worded that differently.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth Custard Chick View Post
        In all my years of schooling I've never heard the term "Occident". I had to Google the term to really understand it.

I have a Bachelor's degree and consider myself a fairly intelligent person even if my knowledge is better informed in the areas of math, science, art, and random facts (english/writing was always my worst subject).
        I had to Google it, too. I've got 2 Bachelor's and a minor. I never saw that term in school and haven't come across it in random research in other things since graduating in 1994. And believe me, having a college education doesn't make one "smart". I know plenty of PhDs that are dumber than a box of rocks.

Comment

I've run into similar situations. When / where I grew up, in one of my math or science classes, we learned all about Archimedes and the Crown.

Thus, when I first heard The Doctor say 'Did you know Eureka means 'my bath is too hot'?' I got it immediately.

When I moved out to California, no one I mentioned that to got it. And virtually all of my friends and associates have Bachelors, most in some form of science.

I've since chalked it up to regional differences.
          The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Just a friendly note here guys - I'm sure LibraryLady wouldn't have mentioned it if that sort of knowledge wasn't related to the job in some way.
            If you are offended by a statement in any thread, PLEASE USE THE REPORT BUTTON. Calling someone out publicly is very much frowned upon.
            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

My university had no standard citation set, every department got to decide how they wanted citations.... it drove me insane!

Technically both of my majors were supposed to use the MLA style but OHHH no we couldn't have that... my ancient history professors wanted it one way, my modern history profs another. My art history profs wanted it a completely different way and instead of just picking a well known style

they invented their own!!!!ELEVENTY!!!!
              .... our workbooks had an example for the most common we would need, which meant I had to constantly email my profs with oddball resources to see which way they wanted it cited. I literally spent hours making sure my footnotes were right for the specific professor.

We had one cow in Renaissance 101 who world mark you down to a B automatically if she found mistakes in your footnotes. One of my art profs was so "over it" that he said "look as long as I can find the quote or document then write it however the heck you want". I loved him!
              I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I'm familiar with the term "Occident", and yes, I would have been as surprised as LibraryLady to find someone who didn't know it.

Comment

Bachelor's with a double major in English Lit. & History. Never heard the term "occident" that I can recall either. Mind you it's been...*counting on fingers and toes*....16 years since I graduated

.....damn. Now I feel REALLY old.
                  "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

I've heard of Occident and Orient, but I had a very old-fashionned education. :-)

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                      I'm familiar with the term "Occident", and yes, I would have been as surprised as LibraryLady to find someone who didn't know it.
                      ditto. Occident, orient. And really occident and orient refer only to the old world.
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

The only reason I knew what the Occident and the Orient are is because I've on my own time studied myth... still get a kick out of people saying the mid-east is the orient though.... it may be east, but it's had more of an affect on the western world than just about ANY other area...

and I always thought it was tied to where the main religious traditions came from... Occident Judaism (the Levant, which gives us Christianity and Islam) and Orient Vedic Hinduism (India, which gives us Buddhism, Jainism) ... guess I was wrong...

though I could be looking at it from a non-geographical standpoint and am therefore biased)

Comment

I have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science and I'm pretty well versed in other subjects. I've never in my life heard the term "Occident".

Comment

My poor Mom saw this kind of thing coming. She was a school librarian before she retired, and she heard teachers and even the Principal say things like "all you do in here is check out books, right?" So she kept being asked to do other things. Not even the school board seemed to think that what is done in Library Classes could possibly be useful.

So there you go. This is why college students can't do basic library skills. The state just doesn't know "library skills" exist.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                              I have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science and I'm pretty well versed in other subjects. I've never in my life heard the term "Occident".
                              People. Can we please, for the love of everything EVER held holy, cruise PAST this point soon?
                              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                              X