This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And these "kids" are our future?

For some reason ( ), my school has always had difficulties getting pencil sharpeners to stay in the wall, much less getting any that even work well. Tuesday morning, I came into my room only to find the sharpener lying on the floor, and three large holes in the sheet rock where the anchors had been. Even when the sharpener was there, I would always direct my students to use the sharpener next door, as ours did. not. work. A few minutes before class, one of my "pet rocks" walks up to the wall, looks at the holes, and sticks his pencil into one of the holes at which time I remind him, again, to use the sharpener next door.

I also have a box full of sharpened pencils on my desk available for anybody who wants/needs one. Thursday, another "pet rock" came in half an hour late, and spent 5 minutes trying to beg a pencil off his classmates before I reminded him that I had a whole box full on my desk.

Last time I checked, I was a college professor, not an elementary school teacher.

Thank goodness there are only four more weeks in this semester!
    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

I see you teach at my esteemed institution; either that, or there are two places where it's that bad

My college is quite diverse. It has a university-transfer stream, several applied degree programs including Nursing, and a variety of diploma and certificate programs; it also has a Transitional Vocational Program for individuals with cognitive handicaps or developmental delays. That's a great program, and those kids work hard and are justly proud of their accomplishments. I just wish I could say the same of some of my classmates in the university-transfer stream... sigh. (Some of whom I actually heard making fun of the TVP students!! )

I do wonder sometimes. The coursework isn't that different from the traditional University where I did my first degree; the students, however, are something else. Or maybe I am just old and cranky!

Comment

Wow all this time I was reading and thought this took place in an elelentary school until you revealed it was a university in the final paragraph.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
        A few minutes before class, one of my "pet rocks" walks up to the wall, looks at the holes, and sticks his pencil into one of the holes at which time I remind him, again, to use the sharpener next door.
        I laughed out loud. It seems like something I'd do, but I'd do it as a joke.
        wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
        ----
        Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Comment

Wow, Target manager in the making right there.
          "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

the in me says to hand them a razor blade and sharpen the pencil with it.

but i know that would have glorious failures all around. and as much fun as it might be... we can't do that.

heh most of my college classrooms don't have pencil sharpeners at all. i guess they expect us to come prepared since we're in college and all.

personally i just use a pen.

i do have some pencils at home but i don't know where my shapener is... though ... to be honest i'd be more apt to just grab my Gerber multi tool, pop the knife out and use that on the pencil instead

Comment

Jesus Christ!! A college student that thinks his pencil will magically sharpen when put into a hole in drywall? I must meet this kid, so I may end his suffering.

That is.... well... just too sad for words.

Comment

Mechanical pencils FTW. Always stay sharp, too.
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Ah, mechanical pencil. How I love thee.

When I use regular pencils, I carry a tiny sharpener with me. In college this turned out to be a healthy habit. There were four sharpeners on campus: one in the art building, one upstairs in the gym, one in a science lecture hall and one in a stairwell in the admin/education building. Still trying to figure that one out.
                  NPCing: the ancient art of acting out your multiple personality disorder in a setting where someone else might think there's nothing wrong with you.

Comment

Quoth wynjara View Post
                    There were four sharpeners on campus: one in the art building, one upstairs in the gym, one in a science lecture hall and one in a stairwell in the admin/education building. Still trying to figure that one out.
                    If someone could explain that one I would be really impressed... My brain is wracked.
                    !
                    "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth Jbball View Post
                      Jesus Christ!! A college student that thinks his pencil will magically sharpen when put into a hole in drywall? I must meet this kid, so I may end his suffering.
                      Please...end MY suffering!!
                      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Wow. I haven't used a pencil since 1991. Or maybe earlier. Yet I still have the sharpener I got when I was 8.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                          Last time I checked, I was a college professor, not an elementary school teacher.
                          So I read along, going, "gee Primer, aren't you being a little hard on these kids" thinking you're talking about elementary students.

Then I get to the last paragraph. I'm afraid, very afraid. Sticking a pencil into the hole in the DRYWALL? I think even most 8yr olds are smarter than that.

Though my college also had pencil sharpeners few and far between. Most people used pens or mech pencils. Or carried their own sharpener, 'cause you'd never know if your classroom had one.
                          "This isn't a home, this is a swirling vortex of entropy." - Sheldon "The Big Bang Theory"

Comment

University students...???

Mommy and Daddy's money for their precious little flower's education is being went spent.

Follow Bill Engvall's suggestion and keep a few signs at your desk.
                            "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Silly old me, when I was in college, I'd just pull out my pocketknife and wittle it sharp. It always amused me that someone in the area would think it was so cool to sharpen my pencil with a knife.

--and yes, shavings went into the trash. I'm not a jerk, y'know? <hurt expression>
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                              X