This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was trying to help!

I was filling my car yesterday (poor thing was on Empty), and something went wrong with the pump - it sounded and acted like it had stopped filling, but the numbers were still clicking away. I pulled the nozzle out of my car, only to realize FUEL WAS STILL COMING OUT!

Luckily, I didn't panic, just put the nozzle back in the car and waited for it to officially cut off at my pre-paid dollar amount, at which point the pump completely shut off. Went to the attendant (who was in a plexiglass booth in the middle of the center island) to tell him that there was a gas spill.

'What do you want ME to do about it?'

'I thought you might want to know, since it's, y'know, a bit of a hazard...'

'So?'

'What do you mean 'so?' Don't you want to clean it up?'

'What do you want me to do about it?'

At that point, I kinda just gave up. Other Half, however, wasn't so inclined. He and the attendant got into a screaming match over it, with Mine saying that we were just trying to help him and he didn't have to be a dick about it, and the attendant saying 'why don't you just call the police then!'

I finally dragged Mine away, and let him vent about the idiot for a while.

I think the guy thought we were trying to get money back...

I've had people pull that on me when I was just trying to help. I just shrug and say, "I don't care what you do about it, I'm just telling you." and then walk off.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
      Went to the attendant (who was in a plexiglass booth in the middle of the center island) to tell him that there was a gas spill.

'What do you want ME to do about it?'
      "Thank me for telling you."
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

"Uh, try not to blow the town sky high when the next guy roills in smoking a cigarette?"

Seriously, if I was in his position, I would've been thanking you for telling me gas had spilled. I hear about so many people spilling and driving off, you'd think they'd appreciate the info.

Comment

I think I'll mutter "can't win, don't try" and move along.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
            ... the attendant saying 'why don't you just call the police then!'...
            Should have. You told him there was a hazardous material on the ground and he did nothing to clean it up. Technically, we were supposed to call the fire department everytime we had a spill...and maybe the DNR...or something. It's been a while.
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
              I was filling my car yesterday (poor thing was on Empty), and something went wrong with the pump - it sounded and acted like it had stopped filling, but the numbers were still clicking away. I pulled the nozzle out of my car, only to realize FUEL WAS STILL COMING OUT!
              Actually, I had this happen to me as well. I was filling my roomie's car (I'm a week away from taking my practical to get my Class 5 so I can take my car to work...), and I had it prepay. I heard the pump stop, but the numbers were running still until they stopped. I was confused slightly, then it registered that these things had sensors to tell them when to stop pumping gas so as not to overfill the tank and would correspondingly shut down the supply, allowing what was then left in the hose to drain into the tank.

Think of it kind of this way... if you have a detachable shower head that loops back up to the showerhead attachment, not the spout below, when you shut off the water, there's still water in the hose. So, while the water supply is off, you still have a little water left over that will come out, if you take down the attachment to drain it.

Sorry if that was a little confusing.
              "FUCK NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FREAKY ALIEN MOTHERSHIP ORANGES. " - Cookiesaur
              ~~

Munkie's NaNo WC: 9648

Comment

Bella, the really funny thing is that there were cops nearby. If I'd been thinking anything other than 'ZOMG IT'S GONNA BLOW!' I would have grabbed them.

Munkie, this was different. It wasn't anywhere near the amount I had prepaid, it wasn't just a little bit dribbling out, and it wasn't a case of 'some left in the tube.' I've had that happen. This was a still-running pump.

It really flipped me out, I've never seen something like that happen before.

The station is still standing, or at least it was this morning. All I know is I'm not going back. There's a perfectly lovely Mobile and BP a few blocks away, I can use one of those.

Having different prices for cash and credit probably should have been a clue to the nature of the station in the first place, shouldn't it?

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                  Having different prices for cash and credit probably should have been a clue to the nature of the station in the first place, shouldn't it?
                  Actually, not really. Some places charge less if you pay with cash, because it costs *them* if you use a card, something like 75 cents or so. That really adds up.

Seriously, gas costs the station 5-20 cents less per gallon then they charge. They charge that "little bit" more to try to turn a bit of a profit on it.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                    Seriously, gas costs the station 5-20 cents less per gallon then they charge.
                    I hear somewhere (NPR, probably) that the average profit off a gallon of gas is 10 cents. I think it's a little more right now, since anything seems reasonable after what prices were a few months ago. Gas stations make all their money on impulse sales.
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                      I hear somewhere (NPR, probably) that the average profit off a gallon of gas is 10 cents. I think it's a little more right now, since anything seems reasonable after what prices were a few months ago.
                      I'd say that's about right, give or take.

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                      Gas stations make all their money on impulse sales.
                      Exactly. That's why you'll generally find milk cheaper at the gas station then at the grocery store. At the 'Lounge and at the 'Q, we'd have people come in buy 2-3 gallons of milk at time, amongst other items. We were charging something like a dollar a gallon *less* then the store.

Comment

Working...
                      X