Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The.....slowest..........customer.............

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The.....slowest..........customer.............

....ever!

I happened into The Sandwich Shop today to buy a Sandwich. (As opposed to a yak, I suppose.) The total population of the sandwich shop at the moment of my arrival was myself, the Sandwich Maker, and a Customer. The Customer was somewhere in her late 50's - ergo, not doddering - and had probably already been there a while.

She was up to the bread.

I have to confess that I have never seen the decision-making process function on quite that level before. This was a woman who didn't seem aware until this moment that processed luncheon meat came in different kinds. Every single decision was grueling for her. Every one. I have no idea how long it took her to choose a bread from the six varieties offered, but I'm guessing she was probably still in grade school when she began.

Three different kinds of cheese took her about a minute and a half. And then, dear God, the clerk asked if she wanted it toasted. You could hear the gears grinding. After three or four eternities, she said, in a very small voice, "...toasted?"

She had to repeat it.

This was how it went as her sandwich moved on down the line. Every vegetable was an agonizing decision for her, requiring at least a couple of minutes of consideration of the possible ramifications of her choice. At times, when the time stretched particularly long, she'd start looking anxious and shifting her weight, as if Jack Bauer was holding a gun to her head and shouting that she had to choose cucumbers NOW, because he was RUNNING OUT OF TIME!

Honestly, lady, they're yellow peppers, not a University major. The earth will not open up and swallow you whole if you choose not to include onions. Lives do not hang in the balance here. Make a decision and get on with life.

Somewhere, a dog barked. An ice age came and went. I could hear my beard growing. The tattoo faded from my arm.

After some twenty-four minutes of heart-wrenching, Scylla-and-Charybdis, Pit-or-Pendulum choices on her behalf, during which I began to become convinced that hostages were involved (The pirates want a perfect sandwich or they'll start shooting sailors!), she had her sandwich. Though I thought for a moment she was going to put her head down and scamper from the room when it came time to choose a dressing, now that she was no longer limited to binary selections.

Meanwhile, the line was growing. Five people. Then ten. Then twelve. By the time she was rung up, eighteen people had crowded into the line, and others were walking in, taking one look at the line, thinking "no thanks," and walking away.

At one point, she poked her head out of her little SC bubble, saw the chaos she was causing, went "Eep!", dashed back inside, and slammed the door. Once she had her food, she tottered off to a table, head down, and pretended not to exist.

Which might have been the end of it, except, in an effort to clear the line faster, the Sandwich Maker decided to make several sandwiches at once, and asked half a dozen of us what bread we wanted, all at the same time. The guy behind me was on a cell phone and couldn't be arsed to end his conversation for five minutes, thus punctuating everything he said with an ingredient. "Yeah, I'm at the sandwich shop - ham, please - There's a long line here - Pepper jack, thanks - No, not you, I was talking to the clerk - Toasted, please..."

I appreciate trying to clear the line as fast as possible, but I've just spent 24 minutes waiting for the woman in front of me. Now I'm waiting for the guy BEHIND me. Forgive me, but that seems a little unfair.

Then, of course, it all backfired horribly when she started getting the sandwiches mixed up. She already had to ask me what I was having every time she turned her divided attention to me. Now she was scooping tuna onto a chicken salad sub. I seriously considered getting a burger.

The line didn't really start to move for another fifteen minutes or so, when help arrived, by which time I was pretty much finishing up and a number of veteran queue denizens had left in disgust. Meanwhile, the woman who had caused this 20 customer pileup was still sitting in the corner, trying to keep her face hidden.

Love, Who?

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
    At times, when the time stretched particularly long, she'd start looking anxious and shifting her weight, as if Jack Bauer was holding a gun to her head and shouting that she had to choose cucumbers NOW, because he was RUNNING OUT OF TIME!

ahahahaha. Thanks for that.

That poor worker. It was a good attempt to catch up but a risky one.

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
      ....ever!

The total population of the sandwich shop at the moment of my arrival was myself, the Sandwich Maker, and a Customer.
      Was he from Bob?
      <.<
      >.>
      He's ineffable, y'know. *scampers!*
      We have enough youth. How about a "Fountain of Smart"?

Comment

Quoth Rappunzill View Post
        Was he from Bob?
        <.<
        >.>
        He's ineffable, y'know. *scampers!*
        ahahahahahaahahahahaa!!!! The ineffable will of Bob! *runs off to find a pikka bird*
        "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

It would have been faster for her to consult a magic 8 ball for every question

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
            I happened into The Sandwich Shop today to buy a Sandwich. (As opposed to a yak, I suppose.)
            hahaha best thing I've read all day!
            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

You know, I've been trying to imagine instances where my own decision-making process has been hampered to the point of frustration. I know there have been times when I, too, have stared a little too long at the restaurant menu in pursuit of food, usually resulting in my shaking myself out of my torpor with the realization that life WILL go on whether I have the Big Mac or the Quarter Pounder.

I mean, what's the rationale? "My God! If I get something other than the Ultimate Menu Item, I may find myself slightly less satisfied!" (Considering my weight, I really have no right to be picky about what I eat. My driver's license photo looks like Shrek with hair.)

So, yeah, I think we all do it, briefly forgetting that the gentleman/lady serving us is building a cheeseburger and not a suspension bridge. But if I've been in a Sandwich Shop for half an hour and I haven't been able to pick something, I'm going to check myself into a hospital immediately, because the human brain isn't meant to work like that.

And the next time I'm in that sandwich shop, I think I'll ask the Sandwich Maker if he has Perfectly Normal Beast. Maybe he'll laugh.

Love, Who?

Comment

Sounds like she could have had a stroke in some time and her thought process was damaged. Poor lady, hope she didn't inwardly beat herself up too much since you said she was trying to make herself look invisable.

Comment

personally that's why I stand back from the line first and figure out what I want. So when other people come up... they ask if i'm in line and i can say, "No I haven't figured out what I want yet" and the world moves smoothly on.

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                    After some twenty-four minutes of heart-wrenching, Scylla-and-Charybdis,
                    As a FFXI player, this decision would be a no-brainer. I'd take Charybdis because of the nice sword it drops.
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                      Sounds like she could have had a stroke in some time and her thought process was damaged. Poor lady, hope she didn't inwardly beat herself up too much since you said she was trying to make herself look invisable.

I am thinking the same thing.
                      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

While she was humming and hahing over the cheeses I'd have piped up quickly with "While she's thinking about that I'll have a chicken teriyaki on 6" wheat, cheddar, toasted, and all the salads please". There is no way on god's green earth I'd simply wait behind someone in that kind of store for over 20 minutes. After 3-4, I'd be "Excuse me, I know what I want, do you mind if I break in while you choose whether to have that fresh or toasted?"

Comment

Well, my story pales in comparison, but I had a similar death-defyingly-slow person at my register. It wasn't an internal battle of brain cells, however. It was another effing cell phone. I work register. I barely have to say a few words to you if that's how you want it. I could care less if you're on the phone so long as it doesn't interfere with my job.

A woman rolled up and starting unloading her cart of twenty odd items. She'd put a can of soup at the end of the belt, yakking away on her phone. The can would roll all the way down the belt, I'd scan it, bag it, then stare at the woman. Who then slooooooowly reached into the cart to grab another can, paused to look at it at few moments, then set it down to roll all the way down the belt. Where I'd scan it, bag it, then stare. A few more moments pass before she starts reaching for the next item and the same process repeats. Over and over.

For only having twenty items or so, it took almost fifteen minutes to check her out. She used the same sloooooow motions while scanning her credit card. The poor woman behind her stared in shock, mouth hanging agape (I kid you not, the look was priceless) and she started developing an eye twitch. I've had distracted people on cell phones before, but this one took the cake.
                          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                            I am thinking the same thing.
                            Well, at this late stage, I don't have any evidence to display, but I assure you that that wasn't the vibe I was getting here. (Bear in mind that I had about a half hour to observe this woman.) Had I for one moment believed that her indecision was caused by a medical condition, I assure you that this thread wouldn't exist. She was able-bodied, focused, even chatty at times, until she began to realize she was causing a twelve-customer pileup and sort of withdrew. She just couldn't make a decision to save her life. I have a feeling that if she hadn't noticed the line, she'd still be standing there.

I suppose dietary restrictions could be a culprit...

Love, Who?

Comment

Working...
                            X