Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bread now with extra protein (gross warning)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bread now with extra protein (gross warning)

Thinking about the places that charge a lot for water reminds me of one of the deployments I was on... my liberty buddy use to insist on tap water cos it was free. She got a few odd looks for that...

Mainly because one place we went to... I forgot what we drank but, bottled water would have been the smart choice after what happened..

Us: Waiter? Can we have another basket of bread please?
    Man: What's wrong?
    Us: There's a roach in it....
    Man: <Takes the basket but gives us a look like we're lying or being SCs>
    Me: It's still in there.

He flinched. But I wasn't lying. I saw the roach run across the bread while he was still holding the basket.

After that I sat with my feet tucked up under me.

Yeah we didn't leave. I think it was late and there wasn't a lot open. But thinking back it does make me shudder a bit.

That reminds me of a story my mother told. Way back when she and a friend were in a restaurant. They ordered iced tea. After they were served, the friend called the waitress over and said there was something in her iced tea. The waitress said it was just a tea leaf. The friend responded, "First tea leaf I ever saw with legs." The waitress quickly took the glass, and brought a fresh one.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't have left, either.

What I would have done would have been to run, screaming, retching, and howling "oh dear God in heaven" for the emergency exit. I would have probably hosed down the door with projectile vomit while I shoved it open, causing all the alarms to go off, then I would have gone loping down the street, screaming and crying incoherently between bouts of dry heaving.

Eventually, I would probably faint and up in the drunk tank.

Which would be fine, as long as there were no roaches in there.

Comment

This reminds me of the story my sister told me last year. When she still worked at her old job for some online university, there was a Thai food place near her work she loved to go to. One day, when her and a coworker went in; they sat down, saw a roach run across the table next to them, got up and left.

She was really upset because she loved their crazy noodles. A few months ago, she started going back to the restaurant since it's near her new job at the bank. My mom and I took turns with making weird faces and roach jokes.
        "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

On my way into work yesterday morning I saw a dead cockroach outside one of the pubs. I never knew they were so big.

My mum tells a story of when she was backpacking around egypt, and she stayed in a really rundown hotel. In the night she woke up, thought she was dreaming because the floor looked like it was moving. She turned her torch on, and the floor was covered in roaches, covered. She slept in her friends car the following night.
          Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

When my Mom was going to college at MSU in the mid 50's she helped out at a bar there. It wasn't as rowdy then as what it turned into in the 60's. After she had been out of there and for some time working in a small grocery store the bar was going to be renovated. As Mom stood for the bus the building came down and then the screaming from grown men began.

As workers made a hasty retreat Mom was looking around to figure out what she (a lady in her 20's) should do. And then she saw what made the men scream, from the rubble of the building came a stream of rats. And not little ones either these were great big rats, East Lansing had a heck of a time clearing them up.

Finally the bar was rebuilt and things seemed good until it failed in the 80's. This time when it was torn down, rats didn't emerge but huge cockroaches did. Again East Lansing was going to have a huge cleanup but Frandor tookthe brunt of the cost and almost failed completely.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              ...my liberty buddy use to insist on tap water...
              Right, there's this awesome thing they have in Mexico called Montezumas Revenge.
              It has a host of other names across the globe and is one of the numerous reasons why, when visiting foriegn climes... You never, ever, ever, ever drink the local water!!
              Waiter? ... Waiter?
              Curses! When will I ever remember- Order dessert first and THEN kill everyone in the restauraunt.

Comment

Quoth Phantomgrift View Post
                Right, there's this awesome thing they have in Mexico called Montezumas Revenge.
                It has a host of other names across the globe and is one of the numerous reasons why, when visiting foriegn climes... You never, ever, ever, ever drink the local water!!
                Drink the booze. It'll kill anything living in the liquid.
                "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

these bug stories make me wanna cry n puke all at once i would die of a heart attack if i saw a roach in my food

once i was eating grapes (bought from food store) and i washed em and everything but as i was eating i noticed a cob web AND spider in them. i freaked out and couldnt eat grapes for a really long time.

knowing a lot of produce workers, trantulas often come with bananas. ICKY!

Comment

I was helping my G-ma pick Appricots last year. We dumped them in a sinkful of water to clean them, and on one I found a huge, big, fat ladybug.

I plucked her up and relocated her outside. G-ma had bought a few boxes of the things to eat the aphids that ruined her fruits.
                    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

run, screaming, retching, and howling "oh dear God in heaven" for the emergency exit.
                      Sadly however there wasn't much better in the immediate area.

come to think of it the hotel sucked too. quoted us rates for the room and then told us the rates were "per person" afterwards. O_o

Since then, I've found one port that was actually worse... but I didn't see any roaches. I think the (blanked so you won't barf)raw sewage in the streets there scared them off.
                      Last edited by PepperElf; 04-25-2009, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Quoth artifical sweetner View Post
                        these bug stories make me wanna cry n puke all at once i would die of a heart attack if i saw a roach in my food

once i was eating grapes (bought from food store) and i washed em and everything but as i was eating i noticed a cob web AND spider in them. i freaked out and couldnt eat grapes for a really long time.

knowing a lot of produce workers, trantulas often come with bananas. ICKY!
                        Oh me too! I remember seeing a story on the news YEARS go about someone finding a black widow spider in some grapes...ugh. Since I prefer red grapes, every time I buy them, I dump them out in the sink, and poke around to make sure there isn't anything crawling in them before I put them in the fridge! I want NO surprises!

And your banana story reminds me of one recently; in Texas I think, someone at a Whole Foods found a very poisonous spider from brazil in the bananas....ugh...that makes me shudder as I HATE spiders...they give me the heebie jeebies....

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                          Which would be fine, as long as there were no roaches in there.
                          You've never had to sleep one off in county before, huh?
                          Last edited by Fox One; 04-25-2009, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Quoth Phantomgrift View Post
                            If you're only there for a few days, no, don't drink the water.

If you're there for an extended period of time, drink up but expect to be unwell for a few days.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

yeah. i think that port we were told it was safe to drink the water.
                              but it hadn't always been that way.

one of my friends had been there i think before. he ONLY rinsed his mouth out. and yeah he got deathly ill.

come to think of it one of my own shipmates went whitewater rafting ...i think it was there in maritious but i don't totally remember. something in the water got him sick enough they flew him off.

When we were in Albania... as I mentioned before... we had to be careful. we were ordered in writing NOT to swim in the ocean water by the hotels...(more blanking out) ... (The hotels dump raw sewage right there in the ocean) But one hotel I went by... they had a pool out in front. I didn't touch the water but, it's sad when the smell of chlorine is strikes you as sweet compared to everything else you're smelling.

One of my shipmates picked up some kind of bug there in Albania. Poor guy was sick in medical for a while... he missed out on our second visit to Croatia.
                              Last edited by PepperElf; 04-25-2009, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X