This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinny for a fat Chick

I went to Lane Bryant and was looking for work pants. Its no secret, I'm chubby.

The sales woman there seemed very nice but I felt embarassed the whole time. She held up a pair of pants she thought might fit me and said:

SW: Turn around so I can see your butt.

I turned to my side and was a bit embarassed because that's not something I'm normally asked.

SW: Wow, you're really skinny.

Me: REALLY?! I've actually never heard that, thank you!

I was really happy until...

SW: Well for a plus size store anyway...

Me:

She should've left the last part out. So, I'm skinny for a fat chick? lol I let it go, tried on the pants, they were too small and so I left.

Maybe it was a slip of the tongue? But it really discouraged me from shopping and I must say I won't go back-- Not only for that but the prices are pretty outrageous. I am too cheap lol

Am I over sensitive?

It was pretty tactless. If anything, stop shopping there for the inflated prices.
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Wow. That was, as HorrorFrogPrincess said, very tactless. I'll shop at Lane Bryant, ONLY when I can redeem real woman dollars, or they're having a sale. The Cacique lingerie is the best fitting I've found for someone of my curvature, and the Right Fit jeans are the best for me as well. But I onlt shop when they're on sale or through the clearance section.

It's not cheap. The prices ARE insane.

Comment

What a tactless b*tch. You're right not to shop there again. Even if it was a slip of the tongue, she should know better to say something like that to a customer, regardless of where she works.
        It's like the people in Vegas who have sex in video-monitored elevators.. -MoxisPilot
        The elevators are monitored?!!! OH CRAP!!! -Sheldonrs

Comment

Yeah, I think I'd say something to her boss. Evidently, she's one of these idiots that think it's okay to say insulting things to total strangers.

I wonder how many times a day she recycles that oh-so-clever routine?

Comment

Their bras are marvelous, but the rest of their clothing is not such great quality, given what they charge. I actually had a fifty dollar shirt from there leak dye all over my sheets.

Not from being washed with them. Oh, no. From being rained on, and then I lay down a few minutes. I got up and there were purple marks on my sheets!

Comment

Went shopping with Mrs. GRB the other day at a place called Catherines, another Plus Size Women's shop. She is an 18/20. Not huge, just curvy because I feed her too much.

The missus needed a couple tops and I humerously noticed that the 18/20's at this store were "0X" or "1X"... as if they could now say "I'm a size zero"

LOL.

Comment

Quoth Metody View Post
                ...I got up and there were purple marks on my sheets!
                Are you sure that wasn't from the last time Barney spent the night?

"All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I've actually got that comment many times when I visit a special "plus-size" store.

Dunno if it has to do with the fact that plus-size stores normally gets REALLY plus-size customers.
                  But I actually experienced that I had to buy a waay too big blouse (which I needed for a wedding) and get my MIL to adapt it to my size - simply cuz I'm too skinny for a plus-size store but too fat for a regular store.
                  A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth jiarby View Post
                    as if they could now say "I'm a size zero"
                    I'm missing the humor on this. I know what you're trying to say, but it doesn't seem that amusing to me...
                    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

wow i thought that store was suppose to be a place where you could find classy woman size clothing without being insulted

apparently they need to re-evaluate some of their staff

Comment

My problem is that I can't seem to find another plus sized store in my area that sells things I like. Most stores sell things that my grandma might wear, but not me.

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                        Right Fit jeans are the best for me as well.
                        I love those.

Quoth Metody View Post
                        I actually had a fifty dollar shirt from there leak dye all over my sheets.
                        My problem with the shirts is that the hems always seem to rip out.
                        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                          I've actually got that comment many times when I visit a special "plus-size" store.

Dunno if it has to do with the fact that plus-size stores normally gets REALLY plus-size customers.

Nobody needs to be commenting on another's body size. Period. Not to say they are skinny. Not to say they are fat.

It doesn't need to be said. People like that need to learn that it's not okay to just say everything they think.

Comment

Oh for the dye issues you might want to check out the dye sheets ... I forget what they call them, but Mom uses them. Put them in the wash and they help soak up excess dye.

Granted it can't do much for rain-wet stuff, but it might be able to soak up some of the excess dye before hand

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                              I'm too skinny for a plus-size store but too fat for a regular store.
                              That's me.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X