X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Had to Ask...

...But I'm not Sure I Want to Know.

When researchers come into our Library they are asked to fill in a short form. It asks their names, affiliations and the topic they are researching. We also ask if the Patron would like to be connected with others doing similar research. It's an innocent thing, right?

Usually, topics of research are things like 18th century furniture, 19th century jewelery or information about not very well known artist. This one was a little bit different.

The topic of research was (Please Highlight to read)

The Use of Bodily Fluids in Performance Art .

Who says the life of a Librarian is dull?
    Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

all I can say is.... WOW
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Maybe it's me, but I'm used to seeing those kinda searches. I myself have once searched in a library for 'cannibalistic serial killers'.

...is it me?
      http://www.customerssuck.com/?p=7499
      Now appearing in comic form!

Comment

Maybe it's the fact that I was an art major, but that doesn't seem so odd to me. There's tons of performance and installation art that does use bodily fluids. Some of it's even tasteful, like Ann Hamilton's work with pre-chewed bread (sounds gross, but isn't) or some of Janine Antoni's work.
        "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
          , like Ann Hamilton's work with pre-chewed bread (sounds gross, but isn't)
          PRE-CHEWED BREAD?!?! sick! that's up there on my top 3 list of nastiest things! *shudder*
          Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

actually the first thing that comes to mind is that guy who decided to put a religious icon in his bodily fluid and photograph it. i'm assuming that's the kind of stuff they were looking for?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              actually the first thing that comes to mind is that guy who decided to put a religious icon in his bodily fluid and photograph it. i'm assuming that's the kind of stuff they were looking for?
              Thanks, PepperElf. Andre Serrano's "P*ss Christ" is a Classic. The artist submersed a crucifix in his own urine and photographed it. If you can divorce the photograph from the source, it's an image that's haunting and strangely beautiful.

Our reader was talking about something very different. She was talking about performance art pieces from the 70s in which participants danced naked and, let us say, performed excretory functions on each other.

I know that I'm an old prune but that doesn't quite sit well with me.
              Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

yeah that's the one. Wasn't sure if I should refer to it by name or not...

hmmmm... i didn't realize they had artistic um... "water sports" (I believe that's the old phrase for it) and um... or would that be scat dancing?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  hmmmm... i didn't realize they had artistic um... "water sports" (I believe that's the old phrase for it) and um... or would that be scat dancing?

Would you need to sing scat for it to really work
                  I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

Quoth Spork4pedro View Post
                    PRE-CHEWED BREAD?!?! sick! that's up there on my top 3 list of nastiest things! *shudder*

OH my god that was too funny
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                    X