This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really? You're doing that here?

Had this one late last night, my partner has been in the hospital for a few days to have a quick surgery, and he finished that part yesterday (finally comes home today, woo!). Anyway, I went in last night for a late night visit to help him get to sleep, and he makes me shut the door so he can whisper that he doesn't think the graveyard nurse wants to help him at all...he'll call and not get a response for 5-10 minutes, things like that. I'm just about to speculate as to why this might be, when said nurse finally shows up, and we get to sit in on this conversation between him and the desk nurse.

RN= Room Nurse
    DN= Desk Nurse

DN: RN, 23's filled her pan again.
    RN: *deep sigh* Well I can't be everywhere at once, can I?
    DN: She's called for it 3 times now though
    RN: If you want to get up and go over there fine, otherwise I go when I have the time.
    DN: You know I'm not allowed to do that, I'm not even supposed to come over here and leave the desk.
    RN: Well I'm a bit busy here.
    DN: Well we're all busy RN.
    RN: And?
    DN: *Finally notices that I'm glaring daggers at them* Er...can I talk to you outside for a minute? *RN finally notices as well*
    RN: Oh...er...uh, yeah.

Ok, seriously, I know that being short-staffed with a floor full of pre-and-post-surgery folks can't be EASY persay, but you two are honestly going to have an argument in front of a patient who's half-doped up and trying to get comfortable enough to sleep? And one of you is responsible for monitoring his vitals throughout the night? I ended up staying there another hour or so just to make sure things were ok, and RN/DN were both fine after that...but I left instructions for my favorite patient to call me if anything else went on overnight.

/le sigh
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

I think I would have asked for their boss or something. That's not right.

Comment

That was off the charts (no pun intended ) inappropriate. And I can't help but wonder what the RN was doing that was so important she couldn't get to the bedpan in 23. Which, by the way, neither of them had any business discussing in front of you and your partner. I'm sure the person in 23 didn't want the whole hospital to be aware of her toileting habits. Since I'm entering the medical field, can I ask if there were any CNA's around? That's odd for an RN to be handling bedpans and vitals.
      The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

I usually never have a problem with hospital staff - especially nurses because of how much they are required to do, but this was wrong - very wrong. I hope you consider saying something.

I had WLS a couple years ago & most of my nurses were great, but on the day I was being discharged I wanted to shower before my parents arrived & the nurses encouraged it. I was totally shocked & dismayed though that I had to ask for EVERYTHING & not one thing was offered to me - not even soap or a towel and they acted like I should have known to bring those things from home & not ask them for it. If I have to go to the hospital again - I plan on bringing everything with me.
        "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann
        RIP Plaidman - you are loved & greatly missed.

Comment

I don't think the Desk Nurse is really sucky, just sounds like she is tired of the RN being a lazy pain and forgot herself.
          "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
          James from Pokémon.

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
            That's odd for an RN to be handling bedpans and vitals.
            I should note that he may not have been an "RN" specifically, we just started calling him Room Nurse
            "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
            "What IS fun to fight through?"
            "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

and im thinking... someone had to call 3 times to get a bed pan cleaned out? i mean wtf who wants to be stuck in their own bodily waste like that

Comment

Was the desk nurse actually a unit clerk or secretary possibly? That would make sense then if she wasnt allowed to go over there b/c of that.

Im sorry you had to listen to that. It is unacceptable for that kind of conversation to take place in front of patients. Sadly, it happens all tooo often.

Comment

Working...
                X