This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird things dropped wherever in stores

Sometimes when shopping in a store, (usually a large place like a super-retail store or a grocery store) a customer will decide they don't want something and then instead put it wherever. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's facepalm worthy. Other times it's just "WTF WHAT IS THAT?!" or "...DARN IT!!"-worthy.

Stuff I have found:

-A jug of bleach right next to the bread
    -Ice cream in the chicken heater
    -a shirt in the booze cooler
    -Bread in the turkey cooler
    -Ground Beef in the freezer
    -Soda in the freezer
    -Various frozen products dumped carelessly on the floor.
    Kangaroo Squee!

If it's merchandise that they drop I really don't think much about it, seven years of retail experience tends to do that.

But watching a customer let a turd drop through their pants and onto the floor stops me in my tracks every time. Though it hasn't come up since I quit working in retail.
    "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

oh god I hear people do it in the fitting room all the time. >.<
      Kangaroo Squee!

Comment

back to less-disgusting, but still odd, things found misplaced in stores...

a kiddie pool on top of the bottled water- were they going to fill it up with Evian, before they saw how pricey that would be?
        (that happened yesterday, while I was picking up some soda)

Comment

Quoth Ringtail Z28 View Post
          If it's merchandise that they drop I really don't think much about it, seven years of retail experience tends to do that.

But watching a customer let a turd drop through their pants and onto the floor stops me in my tracks every time. Though it hasn't come up since I quit working in retail.
          I think I saw that on youtube once. some security camera picked up the vid of it

Comment

Quoth 4love View Post
            back to less-disgusting, but still odd, things found misplaced in stores...

a kiddie pool on top of the bottled water- were they going to fill it up with Evian, before they saw how pricey that would be?
            (that happened yesterday, while I was picking up some soda)
            Was it really an abandoned item, or a display in the middle of being set up? With Spring/Summer coming, the grocery stores around here tend to set up displays with 'summer' items and foods 'in use'. (eg a BBQ on a platform surrounded by boxes of condiments, BBQ Sauces, etc...). I'm pretty sure I've seen them use kiddy pools in their displays occasionally too, usually with drinks now that I think of it.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
              Was it really an abandoned item, or a display in the middle of being set up?
              It was abandoned, no special display stuff anywhere. It was a single kiddie pool, in its box, stuffed into the space above some bottled water but below the next shelf up. Guess I didn't make that clear, sorry.

Comment

Yesterday I pulled a spray bottle of some flea treatment for cats out of our Coke fridge. Right next to my register. I'm still wondering how someone managed to sneak it in there.

I've pulled clothing out from the potato chips, condoms from the kids toys, and every other possible item from the store out of the candy by the registers.

Comment

I've had the "everything in the candy rack by the registers".

I've also encountered deli meat on a conveyor belt, a plush toy with the drinks and a chicken on an endcap (basically the stuff that faces out into the back or front of the store)
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                    I've had the "everything in the candy rack by the registers".
                    Yeah, by virtue of being a cashier, I'm probably disqualified from playing due to having far, far, far too many things left at my registers. If it's sold in the store somewhere, rest assured it's been left in the candy racks at some point (maybe not that same item, but certainly one of its type).

Probably the worst find ever, though, was the gallon of milk tucked back under the display of hanging beach towels my first time working at Walmart (when I was a toy associate instead of a cashier). At least that one's still more pleasant to remember than some of the open and half-eaten or half-melted/spoiled food items I've found. Ugh. (Someone's half-finished coffee cup tucked down in a flag box, anyone?)
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Yesterday at W*M, DH found a bag of dental floss picks in the chip aisle. I had to go to HBA anyway, so I tossed it in the cart, meaning to put it away when I got there. I find the floss, but that brand is. not. on. the. shelves. or. pegboards. Not just that size package, but that brand. Sorry, but I left it there.
                      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Better in HBA than in the chip aisle. And I, at least, will forgive you. I've been zoning (cleaning up) areas before while working and found things that clearly came from a different store, or were probably purchased ages ago and returned long after the product was no longer carried. Can't claim/damage them out because none of our suppliers provide that product anymore, but can't really sell it either because it's not in inventory. So we usually end up slapping a price sticker on it and throwing it in Clearance.
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

When I was at the toy place from Hell during Christmas season(never again not even if I'm starving to death) we were doing the reshop at the end of the night and BEHOLD! Behind some doll boxes I found(and touched *shiver*) a half-eaten moldy chicken wing! I sprinted to the bathroom to scrub the flesh from my hands. We made one of the backroom guys throw it away.
                          My Wajas cave

Comment

YS says at the store he used to work at, there was a nasty smell coming from the Hamburger Helper® shelves. They looked and looked and couldn't find anything.

A couple weeks later, they found it.

It used to be hamburger.

I don't go to that store, because this story illustrates that they do NOT rotate stock there. The hamburger was stuck behind some boxes of HH.
                            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                              They looked and looked and couldn't find anything.
                              It doesn't sound as if they looked very hard.

Quick question...was it the OTHER store?
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X