This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playstation Suck

The giant creature, hereby referred to as my little brother, is something like a puppy who hasnt grown into his paws. Hes 14 and 6'4. He doesn't realize hes a freaking GIANT and he doesn't realize his own strength sometimes, and still has the mindset of a kid..

For Christmas, he got a PS3 from my grandma. He was thrilled. I helped him set it up and everything *seemed* fine. Yesterday afternoon, I heard the all too familiar sound of a controller smashing through the wall. Turns out the black paperweight decided it wasn't going to read discs anymore. In an effort to be the great big sis I pretend to be, I find the number to the Sony support line and unhook the console to get the numbers off the serial code.

For all my Nintendo and Microsoft problems, they could look up my warranty info via this number, I figured they would be similar.

After being jumped around to a few departments, I finally got a human.

Me: *explains whats happening, tried different discs* So, does it need repairs? I believe its under warranty since it was bought for Christmas.
    Sucky Operator: Yeah, whatever, do you have the receipt?
    Me: No.. it was a gift.. is there something we need to register? I have the serial number right-
    SO: Stop talking! It'll be $200, plus shipping, to be repaired without a receipt. Whats your name.
    Me: O.O;; Uhm.. Well, why can't you look up the date of purchase through the serial again? Let me see if we can find the receipt real fast.
    SO: *sigh* whatever.

I ask my little brother to go see grandma about it, he comes back with grandma, who insisted that the Wal-Mart she bought it from told her she wouldn't need the receipt for its warranty since it was offered through Sony. I relay this info back to SO.

SO: Look do you want the repairs or not?
    Me: I'd like the warranty repairs, yes..
    SO: Fine, have a nice day. *click*

Wonderful black paperweight, wonderful screeching 14yr old, wonderful SO to make my day..
    You seem to harbor barbaric tendencies. I suggest you visit a physician at your earliest convenience.

"Stop talking!"?
    It's people like that who help CREATE SCs.
    Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Sucky indeed.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to get in touch with Walmart and ask them to track down the purchase and print out a receipt copy if you can remember the date and approximate time? After all, it was them who gave Grandma wrong information to begin with.
      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
        Sucky indeed.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to get in touch with Walmart and ask them to track down the purchase and print out a receipt copy if you can remember the date and approximate time? After all, it was them who gave Grandma wrong information to begin with.

I stopped by the Walmart on my way home from classes, they said they couldn't help me with anything over 90 days old. ><; So.. I dunno what to do now.
        You seem to harbor barbaric tendencies. I suggest you visit a physician at your earliest convenience.

Comment

First, find either the booklet or go online and get the warranty information. It should include the information necessary to make a claim. (Doesn't look good: http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-...LEwj&p_lva=106 ) Is there any chance that it was paid for with a credit card? You might be able to get something from the credit card company. Same thing with a debit card, there should be some kind of record with the bank.

Then, you call back and ask for a supervisor.

If that doesn't work, you start sending emails to every possible address at Sony, as high up as possible.

If that doesn't work, you send a letter to the Sony America president and cc it to all his VP minions. http://www.sony.com/SCA/senior_mgmnt.shtml

FYI, scan the receipt and save it. Always register your stuff with the company. Save a copy of the webpage or the form you filled out. Scan it into your computer and if at all possible save the hard copy. That way, even without a receipt, you have a record with the company.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

wagegoth: I always registered my consoles, even my brothers consoles, the second they come out of the box for this kind of thing... After all the problems i had with my 360.. /cringe.

Knowing grandma, she paid in cash. She is one of those old women who hide their life savings in their mattresses. Shes always very good about asking questions though, and getting warranties on things. Three very picky grandkids will do that..

With that kind of attitude, I'm just going to (try to..) fix it myself and stay with Nintendo. They have a support staff that is next to godly.

I just couldn't believe how rude someone could be. They even hung up on me!

Comment

What is it with consoles of this generation breaking down? I know the X-Box was made crappy, but the PS3 too? I have never had a problem with my PS2, having owned it for 5 and a half years, and putting in well over 2000 hours of use. All that's happened to it is that it's making weird grinding noises whilst loading. You should definitely keep trying with Sony. The way they have been going this generation, they should be more than willing to retain you as a customer.
              All Hail Blortash, King of the Time Traveling Space Bears, who comes to us from Future Year 3032, known to us Earth Mortals as Regular 3032.

Comment

Quoth sanchopanza65 View Post
                What is it with consoles of this generation breaking down? I know the X-Box was made crappy, but the PS3 too? I have never had a problem with my PS2, having owned it for 5 and a half years, and putting in well over 2000 hours of use. All that's happened to it is that it's making weird grinding noises whilst loading. You should definitely keep trying with Sony. The way they have been going this generation, they should be more than willing to retain you as a customer.
                And it makes me so glad that I haven't bought any of the new generation consoles. I have a PS2, which still works faithfully, I also have a Super Nintendo (which no longer works). In fact, the only problems I've had with the PS2 are with the controllers themselves, rather than the actual console itself (one of the analog sticks keeps getting stuck, which is handy in a RPG/Platform game, but bites anywhere else)
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth BuggedMei View Post
                  With that kind of attitude, I'm just going to (try to..) fix it myself and stay with Nintendo. They have a support staff that is next to godly.
                  Nintendo was fantastic when our Wii started having problems. Paid for everything and had it back to us in under a week, then extended the warranty.

The coworker who sits next to me went out last night and bought a PS3. I told him some of your story, gave him the information on the warranty requirements and suggested he scan the receipt, just in case.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                    And it makes me so glad that I haven't bought any of the new generation consoles. I have a PS2, which still works faithfully, I also have a Super Nintendo (which no longer works). In fact, the only problems I've had with the PS2 are with the controllers themselves, rather than the actual console itself (one of the analog sticks keeps getting stuck, which is handy in a RPG/Platform game, but bites anywhere else)
                    Our SNES still works. So does our NES, I think.

By any chance are you talking about Logitech controllers? We have a pair of wireless ones that have served us faithfully for years, but one has the stuck analog stick you mentioned (really crappy on some games, I agree) and I don't know what's wrong with the other one. Still, they've put up with so much we're scraping together the $60 to get a new pair.
                    Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

I had problems with my original PS2, and it's replacement 'slim' also managed to crap out within a few months.

My original PS3 lasted from a few months after release up through last summer, but the Sony rep I got was wonderwoman to say the least. *thanks my psychic foresight for keeping the receipt* and I didn't have to pay a dime since it was from a flawed production run.

The 80GB they gave me is working just fine so far, which is more than I can say for my brother's 360.

Generally speaking, next gen gameplay *can* be better, and there are plenty of really good next gen games out there. It's just that the reliability, stability and overall game quality and length has taken a dive. I can't count how many next gen games have come out that are, quite simply, crap.

Shame your bro put that controller through the wall, I could really use a third...

P.S. sorry to hear about your troubles with new technology, which we all know is certainly the latest, but not always the greatest.
                      I like things that go *bang!*

Comment

What wal-mart fool doesn't give a reciept with an electronic purchase?
                        Granted they don't hire the brightest crayons but that's ridiculous. I tell EVERY customer to make paper copies of reciepts. Ugh!
                        "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

If its just not reading discs, try a lens cleaner disc. One of those discs with the little bristles that clean the lens. My PS2 stopped reading discs, I ran one of those through it twice and never had a problem after that.

Comment

Quoth AriRashkae View Post
                            By any chance are you talking about Logitech controllers? We have a pair of wireless ones that have served us faithfully for years, but one has the stuck analog stick you mentioned (really crappy on some games, I agree) and I don't know what's wrong with the other one. Still, they've put up with so much we're scraping together the $60 to get a new pair.
                            Uh no, I'm actually talking about the one that came with the console. I'm planning on scraping together another $20 or so for the controllers, but I also need to fork out around $80 for another Singstar kit...one of our mikes broke.
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth BethB View Post
                              What wal-mart fool doesn't give a reciept with an electronic purchase?
                              Granted they don't hire the brightest crayons but that's ridiculous. I tell EVERY customer to make paper copies of reciepts. Ugh!
                              I think she was given one, told to hold onto it for 90 days if it didn't work, and then tossed it because everything -seemed- fine and Grandma was told the warranty was through Sony, and not them, and did not need the receipt.

I was looking some info up and alot of people seemed to have this problem, yet Sony refuses to admit it. (40gig PS3, laser dying so it no longer reads discs) I guess that...hopefully... means its an easy fix.

...and if I can't fix it, I'm gutting the thing to make a Playstation Grill. All are welcome for the BBQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X