This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People paying with a $20 for a $0.85 purchase

Okay, high school cafeterias. $20 float, which is reasonable - the cheapest item is $0.85 and they don't accept $50's, $100's or $1000's (Yes, they exist and are legal tender). Split as 2x5, 2x2, 2x1 and a mix of other change. They open in the mornings at around 8:00 am. I go in and get a small chocolate milk ($0.85). Person ahead of me is getting the same thing. They pay with a $20. That's right, a $20. At 8 am, when the float is $20. It left them with 1x20, 3x0.25 and a dime, that's it. I ended up also buying a cookie ($1.50). I pull out my film canister of change (am I the only one to still do that?) and take out $2.35 in various coins, pennies, 2 loonies, quarter and a nickel and pay and leave.

But honestly, you pay for a $0.85 purchase with a $20 when they open, at a high school cafeteria?!? WHAT THE FUCK! And the idiot complained about the change that they received ("What, don't you have any 10's?")
    Otaku

Happens all the time. I'm sure I've posted on here about the guy who demanded I change a $50 when I had literally no notes. I refused, so he bought some gum and said "There! Now you have to change it!" So I counted out $49 in coins. Really pissed him off, afterwards my trainer (did I mention it was my first day?) said "if you look up arsehole in the manual, you get a picture of him".

Comment

Oh yeah I didn't mention this, the cashier (the only person working, I'm guessing she's the manager for this school, Chartwells has the contract for the whole Peel DSB) said (when they were walking away) "I like this guy, he brings exact change when buying anything in the morning"
      Otaku

Comment

I'll admit I'm guilty of paying for an $.85 purchase (ok, so it was $.86... close enough) with a $20... but that was legitimately all I had and I asked before even grabbing my stuff if they'd have enough change and if they didn't I'd just come back later when I had smaller bills...
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I can top that.

$2 or $3 purchases with $100 bills.

And I'm on the receiving end.

The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I find it fairly common for people to pay for small purchases with a $20, since around here it's the smallest denomination an ATM will give you. A float should always be large enough to break at least a few twenties. I think the smallest float I've ever worked with was $50, and I complained about it until they doubled it.

A $20 float just isn't large enough. It must be a constant pain in the neck for cashiers and customers alike.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

They enforced a new rule the ending of my Sophmore year at my school. We used to be able to pay with 20s, but now, we cant. It was for that reason.

Whenever I used a 20, I would use it for a purchase that was at least $4. Of course, I'm not everybody and people used 20s to pay for smaller.
              "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

I recently worked at my daughters school festival in the confetti egg booth. Confetti eggs seen here. Anyways you could buy 1 egg for 25 cents 6 for $1.50 a dozen for $2.50 dozen and half for $3.75. I had so many people come up and want one egg and pay with a $20.00.

Comment

I agree with Boozy. This is a case where changing policy can help the cashiers & customers alike. But so many companies refuse to acknowlege their systems don't work.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

i had a guy pay for a 99 cent purchase with a 100 dollar bill....no lie...i was pissed

Comment

Quoth sarasquirrel View Post
                      i had a guy pay for a 99 cent purchase with a 100 dollar bill
                      That happens a lot more often than you'd think.

Really.

There's a reason why I prefer getting 5s and 10s instead of bigger bills.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Lurking Sockpuppet View Post
                        I recently worked at my daughters school festival in the confetti egg booth. Confetti eggs seen here. Anyways you could buy 1 egg for 25 cents 6 for $1.50 a dozen for $2.50 dozen and half for $3.75. I had so many people come up and want one egg and pay with a $20.00.
                        Am I correct in assuming that this was a fundraiser for the school or another charity? If so, that is just unbelievably cheap of those people. It's one thing to buy one egg if all you have is a dollar. It's quite another to buy just one when you've got a $20 bill in hand. Why not buy half a dozen?

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Lurking Sockpuppet View Post
                          I recently worked at my daughters school festival in the confetti egg booth. Confetti eggs seen here.
                          I read how to make a confetti egg, and I have a question. Do you crack open the small in the manner favored by Lilliputians, or the big end as favored by Blefuscudians? Or is a discussion along these lines more appropriate for Fratching?
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I remember when I worked in the supermarket, I literally had no notes cuz of cashback. End of the month, everyone gets paid and wants cashback; basically, two people asking for £50 cashback had decimated my £100 float. Then this guy comes up and buys a pack of chewing gum costing 30p with a £20 note. I had no £2 coins, so I had to give him nineteen pound coins. He was seriously pissed off and accused me on doing it on purpose. My response was, "I'm not a bus driver," and I opened my till to show him that the only note I had in there was the twenty he'd just given me. He muttered something unintelligable and flounced off in a huff.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

How about having your first customer of the day get $100 cashback...on a $100 float.

Quoth Boozy View Post
                              A $20 float just isn't large enough. It must be a constant pain in the neck for cashiers and customers alike.
                              I'm willing to give exception to high school registers, since students aren't coming fresh from the ATM (usually) with their money. Parents should be able to give them smaller change if the school requires it.
                              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                              X