Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know, I don't really want to be that kind of parent....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know, I don't really want to be that kind of parent....

But sometimes, you just got to be.

My kid was at a playground at the zoo yesterday. She is three. Obnoxious asshole kids bigger than her everywhere. I kind of had to keep a close watch on her. I didn't plan to let her stay long, just let her slide a few times then we go.

So this little 8 year old shit is running around being a bully. Always one in every crowd every damn place you go. And he's a big 8 year old, too. She is sitting at the top of a slide waiting to go down and he literally comes up behind her cutting in line, practically sits in her lap, almost knocks her down, and slides down ahead of her.

Then, because of course the little shit can't possibly let a little three year old slide down the slide after him, he turns around and starts clomping back up towards her.

And that's when he came face to face with me leaning casually across the slide blocking him in my dark shades, man's hat, and stern expression. I just said "Excuse us, please." I didn't intone it in such a way as to invite negotiation. He looked at me with an absolutely, positively stunned look on his face. Then he went on back down. I waved him away from the bottom of the slide and said "Thank you" when he moved.

After that, he stayed away from my kid.

The kicker? Little shit's mom standing not 8 feet away fucking yacking on a cell phone.

I honestly do not think, judging from the look on his face, that anyone ever, EVER told that kid "no" or corrected him in any way. Seriously, this kid looked like he'd been tasered. To tell the truth, I don't think it even occured to his mom that maybe letting your oversize 8 year old bully little pigtailed toddler girls is bad fucking form. Just unbelievable.

My mother, who witnessed all this, was absolutely shocked at how obnoxious all the kids were. I told her that unfortunately, that was pretty normal. You will almost always have to check some asshole-in-training when you hit the playground. Most kids are just clueless, and there is no malice in their behavior. They just don't know any better. And every now and again, you get some kid who likes to go out of his way to crap on other kids, usually much smaller than him. Their fun is making sure nobody else has fun. Nice.

I'm wondering how soon is too soon to teach my girl to deliver a solid right hook.

I personally believe that every girl should know how to deliver a solid right hook. That, and lower the temperature with a simple facial expression change...
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I think the biggest issue with most problem kids is a lack of attention by the parents. Not just not paying attention to bad behavior, but ignoring their children continuously unless forced to deal with them. Children need attention, especially for good behavior, otherwise, they'll behave badly in an attempt to get any kind of attention.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I know! The human impulse is to be mad at the kid...I have to really check myself and take a deep breath in these situations. Really, it's not the child's fault. He is one who is really suffering in the situation, by parents who don't bother to teach him the value of getting along with others. I have to remember that it's not the child I should get mad at, it's the so called "parent."

That child will be at a severe disadvantage all his life.

Comment

I think you handled yourself remarkably well, Kinkoid, considering your little girl was getting bullied. I'm only surprised there weren't words for the "parent" in person.

I kind of feel sorry for the 8-year-old, since he's obviously not been taught how to share a playground with other children. That's why, though my daughter may only be two right now, I make sure to remind her about sharing and taking turns when we're sharing play equipment with other children. Hopefully it'll sink in by the time she's 8 and then I can let her just run around without me watching her like a hawk, and she'll play nice. ::crosses fingers, knocks on wood::

Count me in with Iradney. Right hook classes for all young girls! (All in the name of self-defense, of course.)
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Sad to say that it didn't used to be this way.

Comment

I did look around for the mom, but only saw a gaggle of various women sitting around on the edges of the playyard, none of whom I could actually identify as the kid's mom.

In the these cases, it's best to look around a moment before you step in. The parent may well be on it, so it's best to let them discipline their own kid. Sadly, that's not the norm, it's the exception.

Only after we'd decided to leave and I was helping her back into her stroller did the kid in question run up to one of the women and I realized she was his mom. She'd been standing near the foot of the slide the whole time. Completely oblivious. Or apathetic, I am not sure which. Probably both.

Comment

It must have been a mommy play date. You know, when a big group of mums get together with the kids and they all go out, all the mommies gather and talk crap about their husbands/boyfriends/baby daddies and the kids go unattended the entire time.

Actually, kids being bullies has been going on for years and years.

When I was in 3rd grade and baby brother was in kindergarten, some kids in my grade were picking on him and the other little kids, and one boy pushed my brother off a slide or something, and I made that kid eat dirt and pavement. Oh the days when I was bigger than the boys. Yes, that little shit's face went right into the ground. Of course I got in trouble, but I didn't care. You don't bully around my little brother, or any little kids for that matter, just because you're bigger and older.

And unfortunately, nowadays my biggest bullies are girls who are taller/skinnier/bigger than me (especially if they have their eye on my boyfriend), and men/women usually more than 15 years my senior.
                Last edited by blas; 05-02-2009, 10:14 PM.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Human behavior patterns haven't really changed since we first started walking on two legs. That's why we have laws and law enforcement.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                    Human behavior patterns haven't really changed since we first started walking on two legs. That's why we have laws and law enforcement.
                    And this forum.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

It's never too soon to learn how to throw a good punch. So long as she can understand that it shouldnt be used for the hell of it.
                      "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                      -Red

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                        I personally believe that every girl should know how to deliver a solid right hook. That, and lower the temperature with a simple facial expression change...
                        Will a right jab do? I've got one hell of a right jab.

Comment

I'm more in favor of, say, a good martial arts throw.

Punches can be blocked or taken (some sociopaths just don't notice pain), but a solid throw is hard to stop and leaves the target on the ground.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            I'm more in favor of, say, a good martial arts throw.

Punches can be blocked or taken (some sociopaths just don't notice pain), but a solid throw is hard to stop and leaves the target on the ground.

^-.-^
                            back when i was a machinist I used to have steel toed sneekers ... when my band was playing I used to go do the setup straight from work then change before hitting stage. More than once I had guys that would not take no for an answer, and I found a steel toed sneeker applied just under the kneecap with a good deal of force would usually get their hands off my tits pretty damned quickly.
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                            X