This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question from a customer

As you all know, I am a teacher and a researcher - so my 'role' here (so to speak) is as a customer (for some reason my teaching experiences are brushed off)

So, as a customer - I do ask the CSR how they are at the beginning of the transaction, thank them and wish them a good day as I leave.

But, reading some threads here, I am beginning to wonder, is this offensive? Would I be inadvertently pestering the cashier or wasting their time?

Would it be best, if I just said a quick 'Thanks' at the end as I was leaving? or maybe nothing at all?

No def not. I always like small talk with the customer, and the fact that you are interacting(esp. if you are doing it because you care, not because you think you have too) is great. Gives me something to respond to!

I think its when customers get too personal or whatever that its annoying or offensive(like that businessman who pestered the Cashier). So kudos for at least doing the pleasantries, and not ignoring me when I say Hi, how are you today?

Comment

it is always nice to be appreciated. some ppl might have a prblem with long replies... but i am not one of them. Whenever someone gives me a good farewell i respond in kind... and more times than not i will make a comment to one of my CW's about it.

Comment

Acknowledging the humanity of the people you interact with is far more likely to be a good thing and appreciated, than otherwise.

There's always the occasional grouch. But grouches aside: keep treating cashiers as humans with thoughts and feelings.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          Acknowledging the humanity of the people you interact with is far more likely to be a good thing and appreciated, than otherwise.

There's always the occasional grouch. But grouches aside: keep treating cashiers as humans with thoughts and feelings.
          Quoted for truth.

If they're grouchy, the best thing to do is to kill them with kindness. At the very least, they may feel the slightest hint of guilt or embarassment.
          Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Thank you for the replies - I am relieved, as it is my nature to treat everyone as a human and with respect. But, I am also concious of offending and annoying others.

Comment

Same goes for phone reps. I enjoy it when someone seems geniuinely interested in me and takes the time to show their appreciation by being polite and friendly.

Rock on!
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Agreeing with all the above.

I usually finish with "have a lovely day" or "have a good one" depending on the age of the person I'm serving (if it's teenagers, the latter, adults, the former). However, if I get a grumpy customer who's nothing but rude, I just finish with "see ya." They don't notice usually
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

if someone is "offended" by you treating them with polite manners... then they have issues that are none of your fault.

Comment

^_^ Not at all. I always enjoy nice customers who ask me how I am and wish me a good day. It makes the whole transaction much more pleasant. ^_^ Don't stop being awesome! You make our day!
                    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                    -Red

Comment

On a few occasions I do come out with witty one-liners that get the CSR giggling.

On the phone, I sometimes get the CSR laughing as we complete the transaction.

Comment

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'll repeat it here: don't give up. Some people are just anti-social and grouchy; no need for that to affect the wonderful you that you are.

And sort of on-topic, when I first moved here (to Italy), I didn't realize there were social etiquettes to be obeyed that one wouldn't immediately recognize. For instance, one is apparently not supposed to talk to the cashiers here beyond answering their questions. Telling them thank you or asking how they are is considered a waste of everyone's time. Business is very brusque compared to what I'm used to.

SO. To balance it out, I'm extra-nice to the cashiers on the base.
                        "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

Working...
                        X