This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's about consideration, not time of day

Dear inconsiderate neighbor: I asked you nicely, as a favor, to turn down the BASS on your music. The volume is fine, but 30 feet across the courtyard, up 1 level, I can feel my floor shake. You told me it's not 10:00 pm, which granted it's not, but honestly, HAVE SOME CONSIDERATION. You don't have to be a jerk by turning it up, which you've done now. Now I have to leave my apartment to have any peace.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

We won't even bring up the word consideration where I live, because my neighbors have none, except for only one of them.

If I make any noise whatsoever after it gets dark, I get a broom jammed up against my floor or a warning about how noisy my bed is.

But working third shift, trying to sleep during the day, I hear what sounds like earthquakes and explosions and bowling balls being dropped and thrown at the walls and doors being slammed all fricken day long.

As a night person, I UNDERSTAND I am in the minority and that people should not be expected to be as quiet during the day as at night. But for god's sake....if I HAVE to go out of my way to not disturb your sleep, can you please quiet the fuck down while I'm trying to sleep during the day?
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I have been near cars where the bass was so loud and deep that it made me feel physically ill; like it was scrambling my insides, and I almost puked. I now see how sound and music can be used as a torture device.
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

There are subwolfers and systems in cars that are so powerful, they can set off car alarms just by driving past them with the bass blaring.

Comment

Allow me to present a comic by one of my favorite indie artists, Rachael Nabors, on just this subject: Noisy Neighbors.
          "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

even if it's not 10pm yet you can still call the police i think

tho i never did with my old apartment... was always afraid of retribution, and those apartments were easy to break into.

ironically tho music wasn't much of an issue. ... i don't recall hearing much of that.
            then again i was too busy noticing the noises from fighting couples / domestic violence, Orgasm Girl, and the lady with bowling balls for feet. At one point I was actually GLAD to be going on deployment for 3 months so I could escape my neighbors.

Comment

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/obje...3/243/267/FAQ/

Turns out excessive noise, even during non-quiet hours, can be illegal. You may just be able to call the police on this.
              "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

, Orgasm Girl,
                I assume that every apt building has one of these women???? we called ours the Screamer. I know one buillding we lived in did. the only bad things was she liked the real early morning hours (around 5 or 6 am) and after closing the night before this was not really something I wanted to hear after 2 or 3 hours of sleep. several times we tried to drown her out (yes by doing you know what) but she just got louder and louder.
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

o good i was worried about having to explain that one. sadly she wasn't even a resident... just some girlfriend of one of the guys upstairs. either that or she was a dvd. second time... one of the other apartments broke into a round of applause when she was finished.

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
                    http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/obje...3/243/267/FAQ/ Turns out excessive noise, even during non-quiet hours, can be illegal. You may just be able to call the police on this.
                    I asked the Sheriff's office the last time (w/ another neighbor) and yes, you're right. Mngmt said they'd talk to him. I asked that they leave a general reminder on everyone's door, so as to reduce resentment, but they're determined to talk to him one-on-one.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My neighbors' kids seem to think the whole block is their yard. Whether they're skateboarding, playing catch with the ball, yard golfing, playing frisbee or etc. They play in the street and in other people's yards.

On Saturday I was watching t.v. and out of the corner of my eye saw the neighbor boys running around on my lawn directly in front of my window shooting at each other with squirt guns. They were running right over the patch of dirt we planned on putting potted flowers on the very next day.

My husband says to me, "I better not catch them trampling the flowers when we get them potted tomorrow!"

These same neighbor boys also play basketball at 8 a.m. on a Saturday when I like to sleep in on my day off. I can hear it thump, thump, thump when they dribble. It's really annoying!

Comment

Quoth laundryhater View Post
                        They were running right over the patch of dirt we planned on putting potted flowers on the very next day. My husband says to me, "I better not catch them trampling the flowers when we get them potted tomorrow!"
                        That's when you develop a fondness for plants with a lot of thorns.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                          That's when you develop a fondness for plants with a lot of thorns.

I'll have to remember that for next spring.

Comment

After this past Saturday morning, I'm totally done going out of my way to be quiet at night.

Let's see here. If you cannot keep up with your grandkids who are running up and down all of the complexes, screaming at the top of their lungs, and when you DO catch them and bring them inside, they scream even louder because you ruined their fun.......you should not be babysitting them. Or you should go over to their house and watch them there. Even people who are awake in the morning DO NOT want to hear screaming all damn morning. I guarantee every single person in every apartment who was home that morning heard that and was not pleased.

Comment

On Saturday I was watching t.v. and out of the corner of my eye saw the neighbor boys running around on my lawn directly in front of my window shooting at each other with squirt guns. They were running right over the patch of dirt we planned on putting potted flowers on the very next day.
                              My parents handled that somewhat unusually...

I have faint memories of Dad planting the blue spruce in the back yard... it was back when Sis and I were the only children on our side of the street. So by the time neighbors with kids moved in, most of the trees were over 5 feet tall (some over 8 or 9). And most kids do NOT want to run through blue spruce. (I'm particularly fond of them myself of course)

Still, some of the boys a couple houses down felt they had the right to play in our yard. Mom talked to their mother who started crying. (?) So... Mom basically convinced her with another angle... "you know in the summer my daughters often run around the house wearing only tshirts and panties..."

It worked. The woman suddenly was very very adamant with her sons about staying out of our yard, though i'm sure the boys never knew why....

Comment

Working...
                              X