X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents, Children and Public Art...

...or, Nobody Reads anything.

In most cities of the world these days, there is public art. Sometimes, it's beautiful. Sometimes, it looks like something the cat threw up. Sometimes, it looks like a traffic barrier. Whatever it looks like, it's been paid for with public money and deserves a bit of respect.

On the way home from work I saw one being abused. It's been there for months. It's a great, shiny, silvery lump that looked beautiful against the snow and looks beautiful against the grass and budding trees of the park. Unfortunately the sculpture is about 8 feet high and looks the perfect place for children to play. It isn't, but nobody reads.

There are signs all around the thing that say,

"Please do not allow children or pets to play on or around this structure. It may not be as solid as it appears. It is not a piece of playground equipment."

What did I see this afternoon? I saw a group of children ranging in age from about 5 to about 10. They were crawling and climbing all over the thing and there were parents happily snapping pictures from all angles. What did the parents see on the signs? They saw 'playground equipment'. Let the kids romp!!.
    Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Question, would the parents be silly enough to try and sue when said structure falls and seriously injures the children? I mean, who would be responisible? Would the parents claim that it should have been fenced off then? Sheesh, if there's a sign that says don't play on it, don't play on it!
    Began work Aug as casual '08
    Ex-coworkers from current place of work: 26ish
    Current co-workers at current place of work: 15ish - yes he just hired 3 more casuals
    Why do I still work there again?

Comment

Quoth ottid View Post
      Question, would the parents be silly enough to try and sue when said structure falls and seriously injures the children?
      It's always possible.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Question, would the parents be silly enough to try and sue when said structure falls and seriously injures the children?
        You know what would be awesome? If the pictures they took were entered as evidence in the lawsuit ... with the sign in them.
        "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Speaking of pictures in a lawsuit, many years ago some nutjobs were speeding and driving recklessly, and managed to wrap their car around a tree. The car had magnesium wheels. They sued the wheel manufacturer claiming the wheels broke (a common failure mode for that type of wheel) and caused the car to wreck. Normally the manufacturer would offer a cash settlement because it's cheaper than fighting the lawsuit. This time they didn't because they had the insurance adjuster's pictures showing the wrecked car with all four wheels intact.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
          X