Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a prof who let me write an English paper analyzing the lyrics an imagery of Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond." Got a perfect 100 on it, too. I LOVED that prof.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

I had one English/humanities professor for which I had to write a term paper. The subject was to be some cultural aspect of our society. We could choose our own topic, but could choose Country Western music. I asked why and was told because it was too "regionalized." I picked some other topic.

Within two years I saw a special on TV about how Country Western music was a multi-billion dollar, world wide business, that enjoyed great popularity in places like Germany. I've always wished I had seen that show before having to write that paper.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        I had one English/humanities professor for which I had to write a term paper. The subject was to be some cultural aspect of our society. We could choose our own topic, but could choose Country Western music. I asked why and was told because it was too "regionalized."
        Probably because the professor doesn't know anybody who likes country music.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          Probably because the professor doesn't know anybody who likes country music.
          Unlikey as the school is in northern Florida. She probably just didn't like it. Or she made the assignment in a previous class, and all the papers were on country music.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I did have one awesome prof for Linguistics who had us pick a poem and go thru the OED to figure out exactly what all of the words *mean*. I chose "Jabberwocky" Hell, I really DID want to know what that wonderful gibberish meant. The thing that scared me was, only about *half* of the "nonsense words" in there were defined by the OED as "a nonsense word coined by Lewis Carroll". Most of the rest were real words. Several of the coined ones (like slithy and brillig) even had brief theories in the book suggesting possible origins for the words. Their lexicographers are nothing if not thogough >_>
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
              This led to an extended discussion about that question when the next lab period, where I was commended for having seen beyond the scope of test and finding that problem.
              Nyerg! No! Bad joke incoming!

*sighs* So, you thought outside the box?
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
              X