This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    You're not the only one! They won't let you use reuseable bags. I will walk all the way to the other end to get a live cashier. I will wait in line behind 3 people before using an SCO.
    Actually, you have a point there. Some of the supermarkets here are going to start charging for bags in August I think it is. I wonder how that will effect SCO. I don't always take a bag for what I purchase at the SCO, if it is one or 2 items I will hold the items in one hand with the receipt when I leave, and I will place them on the scales underneath the bags they already have open.
    Began work Aug as casual '08
    Ex-coworkers from current place of work: 26ish
    Current co-workers at current place of work: 15ish - yes he just hired 3 more casuals
    Why do I still work there again?

Comment

Quoth MoxisPilot View Post
      I think I'm the only person on Earth who can't stand self checkout. D:
      Ugh no. I was a cashier at a very busy store for over a year and still the things hate me. They make me feel inadequate as a former cashier

And as for the OP... Yeah, I do think you went a lil overboard... But you know what? I bet he'll think next time.

Besides... You are nicer than me. I would have counted very loudly as the cashier rung him through.

One or two items over, not a big deal if it isn't busy, especially if we are talking doubles of items.... But who would actually think 8 over is OK?!
      "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

For twenty items it seems a little overboard, but I can appreciate the frustration. From a cashier's standpoint, it's nice to have another customer understand the pain, but it's also a little unnerving when customers start ranting under their breath about other customers or a long wait. Even if it isn't directed at me, I always feel a bit responsible since I'm the one checking out Mr.-I-Can't-Count.

And I've also gone through an express lane with too many items. I was once waved over to an 8-item-or-less lane when I had a lot of frozen dinners and whatnot. Now my transaction was still swift and boxed dinners are quick to scan, but I probably had 25 items. The people in line behind me didn't say anything, but they did glare a bit.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth TimmyHate View Post
          It gets better. I see the jackoff loading his car up. So i walk out, flip him off, then walk to my car - and drive past him with Lamb of God on the stereo. I think i may have scared him a little.
          If you were blasting Redneck, that would be so friggin' appropriate, mainly because of the line "So drunk on yourself, self-righteous/A laughingstock on your own fucking stage."
          The New Orleans Saints are your 2009 NFL champions.

Believe dat.

Comment

A little much at the parking lot but nonetheless you did put that tool in his place. You have to be a complete asshat not to know that express lane is 12 (or some places) 10 items or LESS.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Just playing Devil's advocate, but the guy may have had an excuse.
              I've had that...

went through a line at wegman's with more than the required number and the cashier didn't say anything but gave me a look... and i simply said that i was sent there

Comment

At least it wasn't like the supposed "war veteran" I got at Big Yank who decided it was 12 different items or less, but he had at least 20 of each thing.

When I used to work the express lane, if you had maybe a few over the limit, you could stay put. 20 in a twelve? Only if it was slow. Anything over that and I wasn't going to touch anything, you were going to move. And if you didn't, D would come over, shove your stuff back in your cart and personally moe you to another lane herself.

Comment

Our rule at work for 15 items or less is as follows.

15 or less? No probs.
                  20 or less? No probs for me busy or slow, slight problem for others when it's busy as it holds up the line. (clue...me and about 10 others are above the store average, express usually has 3 maybe 4 operators at any one time)
                  More than 20? Busy: Move. Slow: Fine. Get sent over: fine.

And I also do count multiples as individual item (so those 20 cans of cat food are counted as 20 cans of cat food)
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth derangedperson View Post
                    If you were blasting Redneck, that would be so friggin' appropriate, mainly because of the line "So drunk on yourself, self-righteous/A laughingstock on your own fucking stage."
                    Haha that would have been good. But 'Choke Sermon' on Wrath was just as good
                    How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

I happen to love self checkouts, despite their quirks. At the Wal-Mart I shop at, there are some creepy people working there. One morning, the self checkouts weren't open (isn't that just great!) and I got served by this odd woman who kept informing me the entire transaction "There's something in my shoe.....there's something in my shoe.....I wonder what it is.....I need to take my shoe off!" I just wanted her to shut the hell up and take her damn shoe off and let me leave.

Then there's this uber creepy guy who always works in the mornings, thankfully he never is in charge of self checkouts. I won't ever, ever go to his register. He's the "idiot on the parkbench" type of person who never shuts up and wants to know your life story as well, and he'll forget bags and you'll end up having to come back anyway. He's just a rambling idiot I'd prefer to avoid if I could.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth MoxisPilot View Post
                        I think I'm the only person on Earth who can't stand self checkout. D:
                        I love the idea of self-check outs, and having the option, but they only time I ever use them is at the library.

When I'm buying groceries, any experienced cashier can get though everything in less than half the time I could alone.

Also, one advantage of working graveyard shifts is I tend to do all my shopping first thing in the morning when stores have just opened, so there's never a line
                        Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                        X