This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mormon fashion tip #36

This is a friendly reminder to my Mormon compatriots in Salt Lake.
    Unless you are getting ready to commit a sin with me, I should not be able to tell whether or not you are Temple Endowed. This is a general to the younger crowd who think that sagging pants is OK, but specifically applies to you old man walking down the street. I especially should not be able to tell that you have gone through Temple Endowment by seeing your Temple Garment poking out of the bottom of your way too short shorts.
    Thank you.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

My uncle has that issue... with the temple garments hanging out the bottom of his shorts...

Apparently, he doesn't see an issue with it. :gross:
    Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Uh. Seems to me there are some folks rather missing the point of the entire "Temple Garment" concept, unless I am the one misunderstanding something here....

Comment

What's temple endwonment and why would I see it in low hanging pants?
        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Given the nature of teh first second () line, I'm going to guess naughty bits.
          Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Are these those super secret magical Mormon undies what I've heard so much about?
            Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

Quoth Bradester View Post
              Are these those super secret magical Mormon undies what I've heard so much about?
              I think so. But I've never seen what they look like, so that must be why they're so secret.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Go, go Wiki-Fu!

*searches on Wikipedia*

found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_garment

and Endowment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowme...ter_Day_Saints)

For the curious (I was too).

Now that I've seen it....
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

yes, yes it is.
                  They are indeed the super secret magical Mormon undies... they shimmer (cookies for the reference )

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                  I think so. But I've never seen what they look like, so that must be why they're so secret.
                  I've seen them... not because I've 'committed sin' with anyone (nothing quite that fun )... but rather because my roommate has a very bad habit of leaving his in the dryer. And they actually are a little shiny (I always thought that was a joke )
                  Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 05-19-2009, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Not so much secret as sacred. The garment serves as a tactile reminder to the wearer of covenents made in our temples. Much like a pastor's collar (should) serve to remind him of the way he has promised to live his life. And yes, the garment should be worn under the clothing. Seeing garments poking out is one of my pet peeves. Ever since my endowment, I have a new appreciation for the layered look since apparently covering one's cleavage is out of style these days. I also have a growing collection of capris and crop pants that I absolutely adore. So comfy.

Just a teensy request on my part, though. I (and I'm sure my fellow Mormons) would appreciate our sacred things not being referred to so trivially. I personally strive to be respectful of others' beliefs (or lack of beliefs as the case may be), and appreciate the same courtesy.
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I wonder why that ceremony uses the same word as a synonym for penis.

Comment

I think the "magical undies" was a House reference.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          but rather because my roommate has a very bad habit of leaving his in the dryer.
                          Well I don't know if the rules have changed but he shouldn't be doing that because as far as I know, no one else is supposed to touch them.

Growing up my mum always hand washed hers and you DID NOT touch them at all under pain of death. One of the people in our ward was disabled and the church paid for and built a special ramp so she could collect her garments from the clothes line so that her care giver didn't have to touch them.

I always remember that being a huge no no.
                          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                            I think the "magical undies" was a House reference.
                            House didn't come up with it all by himself. It's been around awhile.

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                            Well I don't know if the rules have changed but he shouldn't be doing that because as far as I know, no one else is supposed to touch them.
                            If it is, it's news to me, cuz I sorted, washed, and folded my parents' garments growing up. Maybe family is different, but I've never heard that specifically.
                            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post
                              I wonder why that ceremony uses the same word as a synonym for penis.
                              with all due respect to Mormonism (I'll leave my doctrinal disagreements with them in fratching where it belongs), the church does seem to have an obsession with the phallic shape. The chapels all have pointy spires on them, so do most of the Temples, the church headquarters is even shaped vaguely like a penis (a base twice as wide as the main tower, with a cap half the size as the main tower, and to add to the effect on the base on either side of the main tower is inscribed a giant globe... even most Mormons in this state recognize that it looks vaguely like a penis). The church is very masculine and it shows, both inward and outward... The choice of words was meant to convey the meaning "the person was endowed with knowledge", but with such shows of masculinity, it makes it easy to see how many people's minds go to the same thought that Anriana (and now me) went to.

And for the record, no, I was never Temple Endowed. By the time I would have been eligible to get a Temple Recommend (required to enter the Temple to receive your Temple Endowment), I was starting to feel the guilt for lying on my baptism interview and pretending to be someone that I wasn't. All things considered, I'm rather glad that I didn't... one major lie is more than enough for me.

And Jedimaster, please forgive any comments that I have made that may have made it sound like I don't respect the sacredness of the Temples or their ceremonies. I have the utmost respect for those who, like you, can keep things sacred, and still respect what others consider sacred. That said, God's greatest gifts to us are love and laughter... I'd hate to think that considering that, He doesn't have a sense of humor. I can honestly see him up there shaking His head at all the people who can't at least once in a while laugh at themselves and that which they hold dear and thinking to Himself "I gave them the gift of laughter and humor and they refuse to use it because they think it will offend me... I'm doing my best to make a world that is sometimes so absurd that you can't help but laugh and no one is... come on people, enjoy yourselves". I'm sure God can tell the difference between those who are having fun with the material He provided and those who are trying to tear down others faith. And I promise, my intention is the former, not that latter.

And yes, I do make fun of my own faith.
                              What's the difference between a hippie and a Methodist- the Methodist has more money (it's so true too... Methodists do tend to be more hippieish)
                              Two Methodists walk past a bar... well, maybe it was Sunday and it was closed
                              What do Mormons and Methodists have in common? 10%... the amount of their income a Mormon donates to the church and the number of Sundays a Methodist will go to church (so true, go to an Easter service and see how many people show up that you've never seen before).
                              And you know what, I honestly think God is up there somewhere laughing, thinking to himself "finally, someone who's faith is strong, but still is able to use that gift of humor that I gave him to make fun of himself"

Comment

Working...
                              X