This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry for the outage

Look, pal Just tell me how to get to Bar Harbor!

I stopped for gas in Bangor, on my way down to MA for a visit to the family. When I got in line to pre pay for my gas, this asshole started to yell at the guy behind the counter.

AH-Asshole
    C-Clerk

AH-Can you tell me how t get to Bar Harbor?
    C(in very thick downeast accent)- Go down this rud, and you'll be on 1A--
    AH- Look, I can't understand your dumb accent, you need to SPEAK ENGLISH
    C-Just go down this rud which leads to 1A, and you take that to Ellswuth, and then you go down US 1 and to route 3, which will take you to Bah Hahbah
    AH-Look, you sound stupid, and not very helpful, I'll just be making a call to your boss, and then he can fire your foreign ass, 'cuz you're probably here illegaly anyways.
    C- I am the boss. I can't fire myself. I'm actually American, you on the other hand are an ignoramus and should leave now.

Sighting at Warren's Lobster House, plus the ultimate pwning I've eer encountered

Making excellnt time, I stopped in Kittery to have lunch at the world famous Warrens.

I'm seated at my table, and I hear this family squabbling

Sd-Sucky Dad
    SM-Sucky mom
    SDau-Daughter

SD- God I hate lobster! I hate how they treat those poor innocent creatures!
    SDau-Well, then why did you pick here? I hate this place enough as it is, it looks so old, all of these worthless old people are here. Hell, they're responsible for WWII
    SM- WAITRESS!!!!!11 COME OVER HERE NOWWWWWW!!!!!
    W-Yes?
    SM- This food is so gross, I could grease my hair with this if I wanted. You will bring us new food, and if this isn't done in a specified time, I will get my powerful attorney friends in Manhattan to close your little shit hole.

(Waitress leaves, with te look that tears should form any minute.)

SDau-The waitress was fat, probably why she works here, so she can eat the shitty food, and not get laid, hell I've got a bad VPL, but hers was worse.
    (funny thing is, the waitress was as skinny as a rake handle)

(Across the dining room, there was a group of Kittery Cops, one happens to be talking to the same waitress, he gets up, and comes over to the table)

KC- So, you like picking on my 19 year old daughter?
    SDau-Why? Is she your cousin or something?
    KC-You and your family need to leave the premises now. If you come back here again, I'll arrest you for trespassing.
    SD-Fuck you and your shitty state you are all good for nothing pieces of crap.
    KC- leave.

I ate the rest of my meal, which was awesome.

Look at me, I'm a big asshole!

I saw these random assholes at the Burlington Mall, and on the way there. I wanted this to be set to Denis Leary's "I'm an asshole"

On the way to the mall, going down 128, there was a guy who must have been doing 50 in the left lane.

I saw this dude park in a handicap spot. He didn't have a hanging placard either.

The bathrooms at the mall were NASTY!
    Your neck is 7 and a half feet wide and 4 and a half feet tall. Your shoulders are also around 4 and a half feet wide. Your butt is 4 feet wide and your arms are around 3 feet long-gravekeeper

Quoth Bagboy View Post
    ...and people like that are *exactly* why locals hate tourists But, the guy would have an absolute field day here. We have our own language--Pittsburghese! Seriously though, if I got an asshole like that giving me crap about my accent, not only would I give him the longest trip ever, but I'd also send him through some of the worst neighborhoods in town
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

So here's an etiquette question- If you're really having a hard time understanding the accent of the person you're talking to, what's the appropriate response? I've always wondered that.

Comment

Quoth Bagboy View Post
        Look, pal Just tell me how to get to Bar Harbor!

AH-Can you tell me how t get to Bar Harbor?
        C(in very thick downeast accent)- Go down this rud, and you'll be on 1A--
        C-Just go down this rud which leads to 1A, and you take that to Ellswuth, and then you go down US 1 and to route 3, which will take you to Bah Hahbah
        AH-Look, you sound stupid, and not very helpful, I'll just be making a call to your boss, and then he can fire your foreign ass, 'cuz you're probably here illegaly anyways.
        C- I am the boss. I can't fire myself. I'm actually American, you on the other hand are an ignoramus and should leave now.
        My family is from there - my grandfather used to have the "downeast" accent too...

BE WARNED, I'm about to go waaaaay off topic!

Incidentally, off route 1A about halfway to Ellsworth is the Telephone Museum - I've volunteered there in the past... I should get up there. Anyway, its on Winkumpagh Road - follow the signs for the YMCA camp except don't bear left, stay straight and the museum is just past there on the left. Lots of (working!) phone switches and other cool stuff.....

Here's the address, check it out! http://ellsworthme.org/ringring/

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled SC-bashing!

-Wembley
        Originally Posted by edible_hat
        (also, wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?)

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
          ...and people like that are *exactly* why locals hate tourists But, the guy would have an absolute field day here. We have our own language--Pittsburghese!
          Heh... I worked a summer in Wexford (near Mars) at a camp for disabled kids, and we were all gonna go get food - I was told we were gonna go to "Hoagies" - imagine my surprise when we pulled up to a Subway restaurant!

Oh... and for the record, "pop" is what you do to a balloon - or the guy you borrow the car from when you're a teenager!

-Wembley (proud New Englander!)
          Originally Posted by edible_hat
          (also, wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?)

Comment

Of all the things to complain about.....an accent when you are on their ground....

I loved the story about the cops though.....

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              ...But, the guy would have an absolute field day here. We have our own language--Pittsburghese!
              Is it anything like Bostonian?
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Most of my family lives in Vermont - the first guy should just be glad he wasn't getting "Vermonter" directions. I swear, the only place I can find from Vermonter's directions is the "you've gone too far if you see..." part. Now I just head to that place and triangulate from there.

Lobster are poor innocent creatures? Since when? They are basicly just sea cockroaches. Yummy yummy sea cockroaches.

Comment

Quoth Wembley View Post
                  Heh... I worked a summer in Wexford (near Mars) at a camp for disabled kids, and we were all gonna go get food - I was told we were gonna go to "Hoagies" - imagine my surprise when we pulled up to a Subway restaurant!

Oh... and for the record, "pop" is what you do to a balloon - or the guy you borrow the car from when you're a teenager!

-Wembley (proud New Englander!)
                  My Dad grew up in New Jersey (Northern part and Southern part), but Grandma & Grandpa did settle in Southern Jersey in the 1960's.

Subway does not make Hoagies. You need to go to a good hoagie shop in Jersey. I still need to get my husband to a hoagie shop so he'll know what he is missing.

Comment

Quoth Wembley View Post
                    My family is from there - my grandfather used to have the "downeast" accent too...

BE WARNED, I'm about to go waaaaay off topic!

Incidentally, off route 1A about halfway to Ellsworth is the Telephone Museum - I've volunteered there in the past... I should get up there. Anyway, its on Winkumpagh Road - follow the signs for the YMCA camp except don't bear left, stay straight and the museum is just past there on the left. Lots of (working!) phone switches and other cool stuff.....

Here's the address, check it out! http://ellsworthme.org/ringring/

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled SC-bashing!

-Wembley
                    Whoa thanks for that link....I'm in telecom and I'm interested in the history of telecom so this is actually quite cool for me
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

So here's an etiquette question- If you're really having a hard time understanding the accent of the person you're talking to, what's the appropriate response? I've always wondered that.
                      I wish I knew. I usually just try to ask politely if they will repeat themselves, or spell it if it is a name of something. I always feel bad asking more than once, so I am sure I have missed important info before. Anyone wiser than me that can answer this one?
                      "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

GOD I hate living in Maine at this time of year!!

I live near Kennebunk, one of the biggest tourest traps in southern maine. I get people like the asshats in your stories all the time at the Walmart I work at.. *frumps and mutters to self*

I had one woman get angry because our walmart doesn;t carry the same stuff that the ones in Mass do, and we shouldn't have so much local stuff because its univiting to the tourists. -_-
                        Loading..Loading..Loading Quickly reaching maximum capacity.
                        warning! warning! warning! gunna short circuit my identity

Comment

"KC- So, you like picking on my 19 year old daughter?
                          SDau-Why? Is she your cousin or something?"

FAIL.
                          It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                          -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth Flygon_Trainer View Post
                            As long as you're not being a douche, it's ok to request a person repeat something, spell it, even write it down, if applicable.

I'm the person my coworkers send heavily accented calls to. I've only ever had trouble understanding one person, and once I knew what word they were saying, the rest fell into place.

But boy is it embarrassing when you can't tell that the person calling your shop is asking for "Sales." The woman was Asian by birth, and had learned English in one of the more heavily accented parts of Texas.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Bagboy View Post
                              On the way to the mall, going down 128, there was a guy who must have been doing 50 in the left lane.
                              For a minute there, I thought you'd run into the same idiot I had to deal with on the way to work. I got stuck behind a pickup truck that merged onto Rt 3 ahead of me at about 25 mph, into heavy traffic. I couldnt' get around him because too many cars were blowing by on the right. Took him FOREVER to hit 50, at which point I finally got an opening and took it.

Turned out it was some dumbass yakking away on his cell phone - sans hand-free device.

Then I realized this was about an hour after you posted.
                              "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                              X