This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was this sucky?

Firstly, I wouldn't say so, but my mom keeps going on about it and it was over a week ago.

Last Thursday, our A/C unit died. We called a tech to come out and look at it Friday morning. Now, due to us being in Florida, we had put all the windows up in the house and had a ceiling fan running. When the tech showed up and got out of his truck, Mom's dog, Meeko charged towards the front window and slammed on it with his paws, knocking the screen out. Tech noticed and immediately went to the window and was trying to put the screen back in place, so when Mom opened the door, he wasn't there. I'm assuming he just didn't want the screen to get damaged or the dogs to jump out the window. (We live in a mobile home, it would have been a long way down for their little legs had they gotten out).

He then got to looking at our unit, fiddled with some gauges, and put a little Freon in it, but told us that it was 'getting tired' and probably wouldn't last more than 30 days in this weather. But since he'd given it a quick fix and it was working temporarily, with cold air pumping into the house again, he went to our windows and put them down.

Mom is irritated with him for fixing the screen Meeko knocked out and for assuming she wanted the windows down. I don't really see what he did that was so awful.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

I don't think it was awful, I think he was actually being nice. Dog knocks screen out. Tech tries to fix it so dogs don't injure themselves jumping/falling out. what's sucky about that? Personally, I think closing the window when the A/C is working is probably a good idea with a tired machine that he described. He may have just been trying to prevent it from overworking. Why try to cool the whole neighborhood?

Your mom might be a little overreactive getting irritated, but at the same time, who are we to judge another's person's reactions/emotions. As long as she didn't rip into the tech being nice or tried to report him to his supervisor, a little irritation isn't wrong. It was her stuff, and she didn't know he may have just been trying to be nice.

Also, FL without A/C is bound to make people a little irritable regardless, probably, depending on the weather.

Just my opinion.

Comment

FIrst of all, it's quite possible the guy simply didn't want your dog to get out. He does not want to get bitten by an aggressive dog while he is working. He also probably didn't want the dog to get out and get lost or injured. No suck.

Closing the window, no suck there either. Who the heck runs the AC with the windows open? Why did he make the assumption that your mom wanted the window closed? My guess is that he was giving her the benefit of the doubt for not being an idiot. She should thank him for being conciencious and going the extra mile.

Your mom needs to get over herself.

Comment

and technically with a dog running around wild like that he could have said "no, not until you restrain him"

to me it just sounds like good service. and if you mom wants the windows down... him putting the screen back on will not prevent her from opening them

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
          Your mom needs to get over herself.
          In kinder words, I agree. All I can see is an employee trying to go the extra mile, and getting chewed out for it.

And did your mom want the A/C running with the windows open or something? I...can't figure it out...

Comment

Hey, I can certainly relate to a busted ac and a hot afternoon putting someone a little on edge.

Mine went out about two years go during a horrible heatwave where the heat index was hitting over 114 for almost a week. To say I was not a happy, tolerant person was an understatement. So I can understand.

Comment

Well, on the bright side, she didn't say anything to him about it, but we have since learned that, I guess she found it presumptuous of him, is all. But I agree, I thought he was super nice to be going the extra mile by putting the windows down and putting back the screen that the dog popped out. She was just going to put the windows down after he left, anyways. He did put the screen in backwards, I think, but hey, at least he tried, right?

As far as the A/C going out, I'm the one who goes psycho. I'll turn into the Super Sloth Bitch ™ if I get overheated or end up sweating indoors. I don't care if I've lived in Hell Florida my entire life. I. Hate. Heat. Sunday was really bad, and nephew and I ended up headed to the movies just to get out of the sticky air for a few hours. (Although, Star Trek was awesome regardless, btw). Fortunately, we had a new unit installed yesterday and it's heavenly.

'Twas a close call though. My penny-pinching Dad thought it would be a great opportunity to go back to using window units, or buying a large window unit and hooking it up to the ducts
              The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Here in Utah we have humidity levels roughly around -10. So a good swamp cooler is an excellent cooling option. Tell your penny pinching dad to move here.
                "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Hmm, the unrestrained dog part reminded me of a relative with a large dog that considered the porch (enclosed, like a mud room) his territory. He was chained there. They had a construction delivery coming and specifically told the guy to leave it in the driveway, there was a dog on the porch DO NOT COME IN (dog's not vicious, just huge and excitable). What did the delivery guy do? Let himself in and got jumped by said mobile sofa. What did he do? Try to sue. Luckily it was on the order form not to go on the porch due to dog, the fact that he had ENTERED the enclosed area, and the fact that he'd pulled the same stunt with several other houses that had dogs.
                  "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Working...
                  X