Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who ya gonna call?.....(first that is)

Not sure if this falls under sightings/ brain burps / General….. feel free to move if you deem fit.

Some Background:
    A friend of mine has recently taken a job with a home care group who go into elderly peoples homes and assist them with house work, take them shopping, take them to Doctors, etc…… This is designed to help keep people living in their own homes rather than having to move into nursing home and such.

Anyway……

She was attending the training with some other new staff and they were all given a procedures handbook and went thru it all with the trainers and had a Q&A session at the end. One of the questions the trainers asked was: “You arrive at the home a client to find them unconscious on the floor. What do you do?”

Quoting the hand book they had been given, they all answered “Call the office”

My friends (an ex nurse) jaw dropped.

Not one trainee said “Call an ambulance”

My friend asked “what if the client was lying unconscious with blood pooling under their head?” She got blank stares from most of the trainees and even the trainer said that maybe they should re-word the handbook. – Ya think!

Seriously – WTF??? You walk into a house to find an elderly person unconscious on the floor and the first thing your going to do is call the office???? I’m sorry, but that would be my second call AFTER the ambulance was on its way and I had made sure the client was breathing, stop bleeding, etc…..

What ever happened to using your brain, rather than just parroting back instructions? It scares me that these people have the health and safety of others in their hands…..
    "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
    "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
    "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

I dont even want to think about how WRONG that is. In times like that, every second counts. Spending minutes on the phone calling someone that is NOT there and CANT help is bullshit.

Im also guessing its a lawsuit waiting to happen.

F**K policy.

Id be calling the ambulance.

Comment

Not to defend them, but a lot of companies train their employees to call the office first in these situations - because of that awful Liability monkey. The responding receptionist/whoever will then tell them to call an ambulance and then spend the next ten minutes lining up legal protection "just in case".

It's a damn shame.
      "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

Speaking of...

http://notalwaysright.com/it-turns-o...-too-safe/2001
        You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Oh ! you beat me to it..., yeah some people are insane

Comment

Quoth MoxisPilot View Post
            The responding receptionist/whoever will then tell them to call an ambulance and then spend the next ten minutes lining up legal protection "just in case".
            In case of--? Oh, right....some people would sue the caregiver over anything.

That's a damn shame...I'd be curious to find out if any lawsuits have ever arisen from that policy. Depending on the issue, even seconds of delay can make things worse.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Oh.

My.

God.

Im at a mix between this thisand

Comment

This would be funny if it wasn't true

My friends boss told her after that they are planning to change the handbooks to state that they call the office AFTER they call an ambulance.

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post
                  Who ya gonna call?.....
                  GHOST BUSTERS!!!
                  I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                    GHOST BUSTERS!!!
                    THANK YOU!!!!!

I was waiting for someone to take the bait!!!!! I have had the song stuck in my head since I made the first post

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post
                      What ever happened to using your brain, rather than just parroting back instructions? It scares me that these people have the health and safety of others in their hands…..

Two words: legal liability.

That is all.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                        In case of--? Oh, right....some people would sue the caregiver over anything.

That's a damn shame...I'd be curious to find out if any lawsuits have ever arisen from that policy. Depending on the issue, even seconds of delay can make things worse.
                        Yes, in case people sue the caregiver. Sometimes, they don't want an ambulance called because of the expense.

And then there are other situations:

When I worked in childcare, we had an episode where a kid had an epileptic fit. EMTs were called, but when they arrived, they refused to take him to the hospital until we could contact his parents.

He lay, unconscious, on the floor for half an hour until we finally were able to reach his mother and she flew into a rage at the EMTs for not taking him immediately.

No law suit came of it, and I suspect they (the EMTs) have some kind of legal protection against suits.
                        "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                          GHOST BUSTERS!!!
                          No, Dianne, their insurance company. That's just stupid what you said.

Please note that this is not meant to be taken as an insult.
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Im not insulted... but whos Dianne?
                            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                              GHOST BUSTERS!!!
                              Somebody else!
                              Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Working...
                              X