This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Day Office Supply Emergency!

A friend and I went to see Terminator Salvation at the theater just down the road from my store today. We happened to drive past the store right at 6PM (closing time for the holiday) and I looked over to see some woman SPRINTING up to the door in an attempt to beat the clock and get in.

Honestly......I ask yet again.....what can possibly be so important at a store like Staples that you need to rush in at the last second on a holiday to get it? I just don't understand.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Yeah, we get those on Christmas Eve at 6 pm. I mean, you had ALL YEAR. You knew Christmas was coming. *sigh*
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I admit I did that once, not on a holidaybut on a Sunday.

It was last fall I believe, on a month where the month change fell on the weekend. I was waiting for my pay to come in on the Saturday to get my bus pass for the next month, but I was also out of town all weekend.

We got back to town (bordering the high end of the speed limit all the way back from Moncton) and stopped at Shoppers at 4:55PM on a Sunday (Places close at 5PM Sundays here), and I sprinted inside to get a bus pass for the month. (I don't think there's anywhere else in the city Ican get the monthly passes after 5 on a Sunday). Luckily they were actually still somewhat busy. IIRC a few people came in after me, though when I left they were finally locking the doors.

Comment

Well, it's POSSIBLE that she had some major report or presentation due at work at 8 am on Tuesday morning (meaning she couldn't go before work) and realized at the last minute (cause of course she was procrastinating) that she needed something.

Doesn't make her not an SC for waiting til the last freakin second but maybe it'll give you a reason and help you sleep better at night.
        I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

I sleep at night just fine, thank you. And in my experience, 99.9% of last second shoppers don't need to be; they either buy nothing, or buy something trivial (like the eraser dude I had recently).

And even if it was the situation you described, then five will get you ten that if the doors were locked, she'd yell and scream that it was the store's fault that her project/presentation wouldn't get get.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Oh I agree completely, both that she'd blame them AND that she probably had no NEED to be there. Just giving the one scenario I could think of that wouldn't make her a complete SC and just a little one (as long as she was quick and nice) instead.
            I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

I know a lot of artists who do shows on the holiday weekends, and they run out of things all the time that they need to have.

Of course, they're usually sprinting for the door at the beginning of the weekend, and not the end, but who knows.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It's not just office supplies, I find no short measure of frustration when people dash into the drycleaner I work at right on closing. It's a large business, about 40 staff and always busy, but I swear the spoilt businessmen and soccer mums that make up our clientele think we're a corner store run by a poverty-stricken migrant family.

Thankfully legal restrictions force us to be very specific about our closing times, there's nothing more fun than locking the doors on some smarmy businessman who thinks he's smart by speeding into our driveway with a cheesy grin on his face.

Comment

When I worked at the animal hospital, we were open when the regular veterinarians were closed--nights and weekends. I remember driving all over the town one Easter Sunday morning looking for someplace open that would have printer ink that we had just run out of. I finally got lucky at Walgreen's!
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                  X