This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on service & tipping

Background: A group of friends went to a restaurant the other night, one we frequent after seeing movies. The hostess ended up treating us rather badly. She called our group for an available table. I could see into the seating area and the assistant manager patted a large round table and told her that it was for us, using our name. So, we stand there smiling and waiting.

She says, "I'm just going to seat this other couple ahead of you because it's easier."

"Okay, that's fine," I say, figuring the two-person table might be cleared off already. And they were two older ladies, so no biggie.

Then, she gets on the intercom and calls a second couple up, and seats them too, still ignoring us.

I whispered to my friends, "Okay, how many people did she say she was going to seat ahead of us?" Kidding around at this point.

Finally she turns to us and says, "We can't give you that table because you're only three people." And she goes back to writing in her book. Ignoring us again. She doesn't say we'll get the next table that opens up, or explain why she called us up and then made us stand there waiting. She just goes on scribbling in her book and gossiping with her buddies, letting us stand there.

I decide to make a complaint, and we plan to go get pizza after that. I told the manager what occurred, making a bit of a joke out of it, and he thanked me for having a sense of humor and not yelling or anything. He asked what out plans were. I said we had been planning to leave and get pizza instead, and he told me that he would "take care of us himself".

Well, he meant it. He brought our menus, drinks and meals out himself. He refilled the drinks and he ended up comping our meal. We were all thankful for that, and he was super nice.

Here's the question - I figured we needed to tip. We got our whole meal, but there were still busboys and people who clean and stuff afterwards. We left a good tip for our meals, but I see people who don't tip in that situation. Isn't it the right thing to do to tip?

Tip the manager cause he's the one who took care of the situation.

Comment

I would say, tip based on what the cost would have been, and add something extra for his going above and beyond...which is exactly what you did About the only way you can guarantee that the bussers get a tip (unless the place has waiters tip out) is to hand it to them yourself.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I would still tip, since that's a small thing for getting a free meal, and the busboys still have to clean-up after you and the servers have to make the drinks and they get a portion of that tip; I think that's the way it works in most places.

I don't know what got into that hostess, you deserved to be upset, but you handled it very nicely! Been there and done that. Maybe she just decides to treat, say, every 5th group like crap, just to make things interesting!
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

when I got a free meal, I ended up tipping anyway. Hell, I usually tip more because of that.

In this case, it's not the Manager's fault (well...hmmm) that the employee sucked...

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
            when I got a free meal, I ended up tipping anyway. Hell, I usually tip more because of that.

In this case, it's not the Manager's fault (well...hmmm) that the employee sucked...
            Agreed. We frequently use coupons and tip based on the original price, rather than the discount. Also, whenever possible we tip cash.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

A group of friends and I meet for dinner about once a month. A few months ago, the hostess said something that offended most of us and we all wrote emails to the corporate website complaining about her. The district manager called each of us individually to apologize and arranged for us to have a free dinner. He was not available to be there that day, but the next guy down from him was there to greet us. Our server was absolutely wonderful and very, very attentive to the group. So when it came time to tip, we each left the amount our meals would have cost. The look on her face when she began gathering up this huge pile of cash was hilarious. And we all emailed the corporate website again to commend this manager and service and the wonderful service we received. Since we go to this restaurant fairly frequently, it will be interesting to see if we get great service the next time we meet there.
              "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Better watch out, freeatlast - you might start giving some of us a little faith in humanity back!
                "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Whenever a free meal is received, it's best to attempt to calculate what the meal cost would have been, then tip on that - a little extra if you're really impressed.

It really depends on the situation.

Somewhat off topoc: I also tip based upon the cost of the meal before coupons. I was out with someone who looked at me like I was nuts for doing it, then I explained. She's not sucky, it had just never occured to her before.

Im proud to say the last time we were out, she tipped based upon what the full price would have been on our 2 for 1 appetizers.
                  "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I would say... if you can tip in cash, give it directly to him. Don't leave it on the table, put it directly in his hands, while saying, "thank you very much. YOU made our meal wonderful"

that way he can share the tip with the busboys, but hopefully the females who kept ignoring you don't get any of it. (and considering they almost cost them a sale... they prolly won't get any of it)

Comment

Unfortunately, as a manager he's probably forbidden from accepting tips =\
                      <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

One of my coworkers works for my store part time, and works for TGI Fridays corporate office full time.

So a lot of us will regularly go to Fridays after work (there's one directly across the street from my store) for drinks and appetizers. She gets 50% off of food - and if you're ordering appetizers in the bar, you're already getting 50% off, so we wind up getting 75% off on appetizers.

It's sad that she has to constantly remind us "Remember, tip as if you were paying full menu price, okay?". I know this, but I'm pretty sure nobody else in our group does except for one that waits tables on the side. One of my coworkers tried to leave a $1.00 tip on what was normally $15 of food and about $20 of drinks - she (Fridays coworker) and I both ripped into him pretty bad.

Whenever we're in, the restaurant manager always comes up to us and checks up on us - he finds out from the wait staff that a "red card" is in. "Red card" meaning a corporate type with a discount card.
                        Last edited by bean; 06-03-2009, 02:21 AM.

Comment

I remember back when I was still doing ampguard....we had a BIG thing at the park that day and after we called it for the day we all went out to eat at a buffet.

We of COURSE called ahead and gave a rough count on how many were coming, i'm talking we had like 30 - 40 people EASILY. We get there and they have a room set aside for us with tons of plates, napkins, silverware....and one poor waitress serving all of us.

We made an unusual site anyway...all of us being in full garb (think mediveal for those who don't know what I'm talking about)....and I had to leave early for various reasons. I PERSONALLY walked up to the waitress and handed her $9 (about the cost of my meal alone...) and said "I know we're all roudy, and you're working all of us alone, and I don't know what they will be doing in the way of a tip so I wanted to make sure this got into your hands personally."

The look on her face was of such relief it made me smile.
                          It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Working...
                          X