This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids and Kandy

I was doing my rounds the other day and I stopped-in at one of the stores for a walk-through. Outside this particular store is where some kiddie rides are set-up; the kind you pay a dollar for your kid. They're not supervised or enclosed, but people will leave their kids to crawl around on the things for hours and go into the nearby stores. That day there were 5 kids from one still in a stroller, to maybe 5 or 6.

Their mothers were in the store I walked into. I'm standing at the counter, visiting with the manager, when suddenly the whole herd of kids rushes from the rides, into the store, run around screaming, then each grabs one of the huge lollipops from the candy shelf and run back out to the rides. I just looked. The manager just looked. We looked at each other. We couldn't believe it! The manager caught one of the kids and asked her to bring the other kids back, because their mommies needed to pay for the candy. The kids just kept playing on the rides. I turned-around and looked at the mothers. They COULD NOT have NOT noticed what their kids did. I called into the store (The mothers were 2 of 4 people in the store) "Hey, whoever's kids these are on the rides, they just grabbed a bunch of candy and ran-out." I had to repeat it twice, while the manager tried to get the kids to come back inside. Finally one of the mothers waddled over and said 'huh?' I told her again, if those were her kids, they had just taken a bunch of candy. She waddled out of the store and came-back with all the kids in tow. They all put the gnawed-on (but wrapped) candy back. There was quiet for a few blessed seconds, then they began screeching at the tops of their lungs and flying around the store again! Not a minute later, each one GRABBED A DIFFERENT CANDY and bolted out of the store, back to the rides! At this point the manager (the only one there, it was slow) was pulling her hair out of her skull. She told me those women come in several times a week for HOURS, while their kids run amok. I called-out again into the store "Excuse me, your kids just took more candy." One of the mothers started swearing and waddled back out to grab the kids. I heard some shrieks and a few WHACKS and she comes back with all the children (now screaming and crying...thanks) in-tow, and again puts the slightly tooth-marked candy back. They followed at the mother's heels, crying, for the entire rest of the time I was there. Finally I just had to leave. The poor manager's eyes looked pretty glazed and her face was starting to twitch...

Several times a week! The manager is going to crack someday.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

I would have got my ass handed to me if I had tried that when I was that age.

Comment

Shit, my ass would've been beaten and I'd never be allowed on a playground for MONTHS until I shaped up!!

Also, the kids technically ate the candy. Charge the mothers, and if they refuse, call the police. Helllooooo theft!!

Comment

If I bought a candy bar with teeth marks on it, I'd probably shit a brick.
        Last edited by NightWatch; 05-31-2009, 10:09 PM. Reason: typo
        "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

If I were the manager they'd (the mothers) would be BANNED from the store unless they had complete control over the children at all times.

Is there any way the manager could call the cops saying the children were abandoned? *smirk*
          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

yeah "wrapped but gnawed on" to me means "you just bought a candy bar"

that's nasty

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              yeah "wrapped but gnawed on" to me means "you just bought a candy bar"
              Absolutely. The candy is now NON-sellable. You broke it, you bought it. Unless, of course, you're an EW...Then you deserve to get away with that shit....right?
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

im very surprised they werent made to pay for it

Comment

I'm actually half-surprised that the managers didn't try to make the *employees* pay for it.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Well the manager was one of two employees in the store, and she was the one who witnessed it. I think she just threw-out the candy, because she knew the women and knew it would be pointless to argue that they pay.
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

And this is why Mommy play dates are a bad idea. It becomes all about the Mommies getting together, gossiping, bitching about their husbands and their lives, and letting the kids go off and do whatever with no supervision.

I see it all the time. The last time was at OCB. About four mothers, probably in their mid 30s, but dressed like they were my age in high heels, tight jeans, poofy low cut shirts and with way, way too makeup on. Their kids were running amock all over the damn buffet, and the idiot mothers were just sitting at their table shooting the shit. I'm sorry you missed out on your youth and are trying to take it back, but don't punish everyone else for it!
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                        Shit, my ass would've been beaten and I'd never be allowed on a playground for MONTHS until I shaped up!!

Also, the kids technically ate the candy. Charge the mothers, and if they refuse, call the police. Helllooooo theft!!
                        I would get a slap up the side of the head and a visit from a certain family friend--a police detective.
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                          Well the manager was one of two employees in the store, and she was the one who witnessed it. I think she just threw-out the candy, because she knew the women and knew it would be pointless to argue that they pay.
                          Lets see them argue with the Police. Either they pay or they get carted off. Win/Win.
                          "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
                          James from Pokémon.

Comment

Oo! Oo! Buffet story here!

I was at the Golden Corral (western-ish fare and honking big steaks) with a buddy of mine one day, when we saw this litttle girl, maybe 7 years old tops, going up to the buffet line by herself to try and grab food that she wasn't really strong enough to balance properly. Note that this buffet, like pretty much all of them, has a sign up which says "All chiuldren under ten years of age MUST be accompanied by an adult at all times".

The MOD saw this and promptly picked up the PA microphone: "Little girl. yes, you, by the steaks. You are not allowed up here without an adult, you could hurt yourself. Whosever child this is, you ned to come up here and help her, NOW". Parent did so, and the entire dining room got a really good laugh out of it

Comment

Working...
                            X