This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groceries, Tantrums and Hypocrites

The hypocrite being my nearly 19 year old son.

Last week we were at the grocery store using one of the self checkouts for large orders. I was scanning and he was bagging. I finished up, paid, and was helping him bag when I noticed a commotion out of the corner of my eye.

Seems a little boy of about 2 or 3 was throwing the HOLIEST of all tantrums. Screetching like a hellion, as his mother tried valiantly to diffuse the situation. He wa hanging on to the front of the cart, on the outside of it, and was kicking his legs and screaming over-and-over, along with chants of 'noooooooooo'.

I shrugged it off, since I'm used to it. I had a pang of sympathy for the mom.

Danny (my son) rolled his eyes, shook his head and said "Jesus!"

I asked what was up.

He said "I can't believe that kid! And the mom can't get him to shut up!"

I stopped bagging..stood dumbfounded and slackjawed for a second..and then began to laugh - HARD.

He asked me what was so funny.

I said "See that kid right there? That was YOU 15 or so years ago. Nearly EVERY time we were out in public."

Cue indignant, shocked expression from Danny.

Then he said: "No way mom, I was NOT!!!"

I respond "Ohhhhh, but you were. Ask anyone. You'd scream like a banshee to get out of the cart, throw things, kick and flail...it was awful!"

He said: "So why didn't you just let me out of the cart?"

I said: "Cuz then you'd run off and wreak havoc on innocent people in the aisles!"

He continued bagging, muttering under his breath that there was simply NO way he was that awful.

Clearly I had to be making the whole thing up.

I continued bagging, laughing my ass off.

When I got home, I called my mother and related the story. Her response?:

"Danny? DANNY had the nerve to talk about a kid throwing a tantrum?"

And then she proceeded to laugh uproariously too.

PS - Please lets not turn this into a parenting/tantrum/spanking debate. I just posted to give everyone a chuckle at the expense of my kid.
    Last edited by Peppergirl; 06-01-2009, 02:02 AM.
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

People don't remember how naughty they were when they were kids...lol. They look at kids throwing a huge tantrum & can't fathom that it wasn't that long ago that they were that very same kid throwing the very same tantrum.

Comment

Which is why the greatest curse a Parent can toss out is 'I hope you have a kid that acts just like you'

More often than not, that's exactly what happens, followed by the phonecall of 'Mom? You were right."

Comment

Quoth Salted Grump View Post
        Which is why the greatest curse a Parent can toss out is 'I hope you have a kid that acts just like you'
        No, no. Not nearly bad enough. In my family the curse is "Your children will be twice as bad as you."
        NPCing: the ancient art of acting out your multiple personality disorder in a setting where someone else might think there's nothing wrong with you.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
          People don't remember how naughty they were when they were kids...lol. They look at kids throwing a huge tantrum & can't fathom that it wasn't that long ago that they were that very same kid throwing the very same tantrum.
          Well, I don't know about that. I asked my mom last month if I threw tantrums in stores and she said no. Well, maybe I did and she blocked the memory.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My brothers were tantrum throwers. I was a look at something shiney, disapear, and have the whole store track me down.
            How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

To hear my siblings say it, I was a right terror - but I don't think it was ever in the tantrum manner - more that I was a glib, tactless little thing with no verbal censor.
              The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

I was really well-behaved as a kid, which left my parents completely unprepared a few years later when my sisters were born. That's when my mom found out how easy she'd had it with me.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I threw very few tantrums according to my parents...I was the very silent child who would just suddenly not be there... gave them a good couple of scares.
                  "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                  -Red

Comment

According to my parents, anything that was on the floor was mine. \o/
                    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I tried throwing a tantrum once....

My Mom takes NO nonsense. I never did it again. Ever.
                      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

My Mom had a simple solution to us acting up. She would stand right in front of us, lower her voice to a barely audible whisper and tell us to behave...while stepping on our toes and increasing pressure with each syllable. Worked like a charm.
                        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

According to my mom, I was exceptionally well-behaved until I hit puberty, with the exception of being a bit stubborn.

...Given the current activities of most teenagers I know now, though, I was an angel.
                          "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

Quoth MoxisPilot View Post
                            According to my mom, I was exceptionally well-behaved until I hit puberty, with the exception of being a bit stubborn.
                            Mine too. I started causing trouble in early teens. She said 'one day you'll have one as bad as you.'

So, not only was Danny a PITA when he was little, he's been a pretty rotten teenager, although not nearly as bad as I was. But his toddler years made up for it.
                            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

My Dad favored the "company punishment" rule for me and for my brother...In other words, when one of us misbehaves, *both* of us suffer the consequences. Fair? Not really. Effective? HELL yes, thanks to peer pressure to NOT do anything mischevious. Of course, this also had the unintended side effect of making us *conspire* to get into trouble. If we were both gonna get punished, we wanted to make sure we both deserved it Mom says we were both pretty good, however.
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X