This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• put up or shut up (PSA)

If you are driving a car covered with bumper stickers about "stop global warming", "cut emissions" and "be green"... it would be a great service to your cause if, oh, I don't know, you weren't driving a car that belches huge clouds of black smoke every time you push the accelerator.
    Seriously dude, how did you pass the emissions test?
    I understand that you may not be able to afford to get the problem fixed, in which case I'll still tell you to put up or shut up, riding a bike is free, and riding the bus is cheap.

And for the record, yes, I do make sure my car passes emissions every time, and ride the bus when I can, and sponsor 400KwH a month of wind power, on top of the standard turning off lights and not running AC/heat as much in my home. So yes, I do have some space to speak on the matter.

ETA- for clarification, said vehicle was a gasoline vehicle, not diesel.
    Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 06-05-2009, 12:37 AM.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

AFAIK, diesel engines have a different emissions test. (at least in texas), it's ok if they belch a little black smoke, it's when they do it for more than 10 seconds continuously that it's a problem.

Comment

To pass the emissions test, they probably slip a 50 to the service attendant. This is one of the reasons why they were stopped in my neck of the woods. As far as belching smoke, burnt oil is one of my least favorite smells.

Comment

Quoth CorDarei View Post
        it's ok if they belch a little black smoke, it's when they do it for more than 10 seconds continuously that it's a problem.
        I wish someone would tell that to the auto tech students here. they apparently thinks it AWESOME to leave almost literally a wall of black smoke. We have to breathe here!!
        "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Working...
        X