This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i think i got hit by the "i need gas" scam

the guy looked a little ... perturbed when i only gave him 2 bucks.

i figure, he might not have been lying.

he probably wasn't expecting me to be that stingy but ... 2 bucks will get you enough gas to get home if you live anywhere around that area.

I don't know what the story is, but if he got mad because he was unhappy with whatever you gave him, he was lying.

Nobody genuinely in need gets mad when someone gives them something.

Comment

At current prices in my area that would get a little me that 3/4 of a gallon. Even if you drive a van/SUV that will get you 10-15 miles, plenty to get somewhere safe or even home in my area.

Comment

But what about his poor children and pregnant wife in the care? HAVE YOU NO HEART?!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Aww, poor Pepper!

Was it at least his vehicle? Or was it his uncle's father's brother's grandmother's second cousin's twice removed on his father in law's side's vehicle?

I agree with Recovering Kinkoid. Anyone truly in need will be thankful for whatever you give, and $2 SHOULD get you home if you live within 5-10 miles from wherever you were. No one's gas mileage is that bad, is it?

Comment

Had something similar happen the other day - some guy asked for $5 to get some oil for his brother's car in a Wally-World parking lot.

He seemed rather perturbed when I told him that I'll buy it for him and put it in the car.

Funny how he scampered off right quick....

B
            "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
            I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post
              Had something similar happen the other day - some guy asked for $5 to get some oil for his brother's car in a Wally-World parking lot.

He seemed rather perturbed when I told him that I'll buy it for him and put it in the car.

Funny how he scampered off right quick....

B
              I am of the opinion that THIS is the best way to say no the scammers without alienating those that are truly in need.
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

yeah...i have no shame about begging if i need...and if they do it FOR me it makes me feel like a kid again...

I've had to beg before though, but no one's ever said no....guess i've just grown up lucky...

Comment

As mean as I may come across saying this, there's probably only a few random types of people that I'd give money to if they asked.....

And if someone ever dared to scoff at what little I could offer them, I'd probably get furious and scream at them to get a fucking job.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

i never have any money when people ask me...or someone gives them money in front of me and i see it....and they still ask.

Comment

On our way back from Florida in November, we stopped in Tennessee for a rest/potty break and a driver switch. Seems that there was a guy watching us as we took turns going in (kiddos were sleeping in the back seat and no way was we leaving them by themselves!). I went in first, came back out and got into the passenger seat. Hubby went in and as he was getting in the driver seat, dude approaches the car with some story about being stranded in Tennessee and needing to get back to some other state. Story was that he was a Christian man down on his luck, car broke down during their trip, blah, blah, blah. Hubby gave him *his* last $11 out of his wallet. I still had the bulk of our cash hidden in another area of the vehicle, not easily accessible. My first instinct was to give what we could, do the right thing. But hubby's instinct took over and he gave the dude enough to help out without taking from us getting home. As we were backing out, we noticed the plates on the vehicle (Nashville, TN plates and we were just south of Nashville at that time!) and the pack of smokes he managed to buy while he was down on his luck .

Hubby has decided that the next time he's approached for money, he'll offer to buy the guy's shirt. If he'll sell it, hubby will give him cash and let him keep the shirt. Figured if they were that desperate for cash, they'd sell the shirt.

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
                        Hubby has decided that the next time he's approached for money, he'll offer to buy the guy's shirt. If he'll sell it, hubby will give him cash and let him keep the shirt. Figured if they were that desperate for cash, they'd sell the shirt.
                        I'll have to remember that one.

When I was working in the Big City, and someone asked me for money because they were hungry, I'd *always* offer to take them to the closest fast-food joint and buy them whatever they wanted.

I was rarely taken up on that offer - but when I was, I'd always sit and talk with the fellow. (always men) Heard some interesting stories that I really didn't appreciate until many years later when I was just about in the same situation with a total of $3.75 to my name and depending on others for a place to sleep.

B
                        "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                        I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
                          As we were backing out, we noticed the plates on the vehicle (Nashville, TN plates and we were just south of Nashville at that time!) and the pack of smokes he managed to buy while he was down on his luck .

I wouldn't want to touch some of the garments that the panhandlers I pass wear-not without gloves anyway. I do see quite a few smoking (at $6-8/pack in the City) and other with burn marks on their lips--a pricey vice for the totally naive.
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

There's a guy who has been panhandling every single summer since I've lived here on the same median at the same intersection.........has a piece of cardboard that says something about needing money or food or whatever.....but if you drive by at just the right time, you'll see him on a cell phone or smoking a cigarette.

Maybe it's a good thing that it hasn't been very nice weather around here and it's still early April weather......if it stays this frigid, rainy and nasty, I bet you anything he won't show up at all this summer.

Oh and by the way.....he never does it in the rain.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

but what do i do if i need help? (i'm female)...if some guy offers to buy my SHIRT (no matter how suburban or wholesome they look), i might balk...i'd offer instead to help them in some other way (carry groceries out to car, babysit kids, whatever they needed) but stripping for money? not unless it's in a professional atmosphere...

Comment

Working...
                              X