This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parenting fail

So yesterday I was in Kmart(because its close) to buy a box fan. While there I needed to use the restroom and on my way out of the restroom I saw this gem.

Lady with a toddler in the cart, not the seat where he would be safe, no standing in the cart and leaning over giggling as mom looked at clothes.
    Then he topples over and lands on his head. No I was not quick enough to save him being about 20 feet away. The wails of the injured child could be heard half way through the store.

People don't realize that freedom is meant to be "relative, not absolute".

Comment

Good grief

And yet your store might well have been liable, in this age of being able to sue for anything and everything. Hopefully that lady grows a brain before her kid cripples or kills himself through childish foolishness.

Comment

Can't say I really see the suck in this...

I mean, what kid didn't hang out in the cart, rather than sit in the seat as their suppose to? I know I did

Plus, kid's get hurt, it's part of being a kid. If kid's don't get hurt, they're doing something wrong lol
        <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
          Can't say I really see the suck in this...

I mean, what kid didn't hang out in the cart, rather than sit in the seat as their suppose to? I know I did

Plus, kid's get hurt, it's part of being a kid. If kid's don't get hurt, they're doing something wrong lol
          But aren't the parents supposed to at least attempt to prevent injury? Sure kids get hurt but it should take an effort on their part to succeed, builds character
          I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

I know there was at least one occasion where I got hurt on/with something where it would take effort--if not outright premeditation--to do so.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

That reminds me. I was in Wegmans today with Child Rum. They have new shopping buggies. The buggies are two tiered. A smaller basket up top with a seat for smaller children & a larger tier at the bottom for those big purchases like those cases of water and whatnot. Child Rum decided to climb into the larger tier 'cos she wanted to sit down. I had to stop her twice from climbing in it. I'm not having her fall out and hurt her head!

Comment

granted it's not the healthiest thing for the mom to do, she could have probably at least made the kid SIT as opposed to STAND...I know i hated sitting in the cart because it was uncomfortable.....

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post

I didn't have that option. It was either sit in the seat at the handle of the cart, or sit underneath where the soda or bottled water might go.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I used to sit in the bottom where the soda/bottled water goes, until mum RAN OVER MY THUMB with the cart... >.> admittedly my thumb oughtn't have been on the ground, but I'd told her I was getting out and was using it for balance when she decided that was a great time to push the cart. owie. >.<

Oh and the new wegmans carts are interesting, but people seem to misjudge the length of it because the tiers are staggered. I've been jabbed in the behind more than once.
                    "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Last week we had a parent watching a kid playing on top of a big display ride-on toy. A coworker repeatedly asked them to keep their kid off as it was not safe. Everytime he turned his back the parent put the kid back on it.

Then, the kid got hurt.

Then, the parent started screaming at us.

Comment

Eh, I used to ride in the front of the cart (standing up), under the cart (where the bottled water goes), and in the back seat of the car without a seat belt or car seat.

Can't say I have a particular problem with any of it, and never got hurt, myself, though I'm sure my mom watched me like a hawk when I did it.
                        "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

My son isn't allowed to ride in the basket. He either sits in the seat, is carried, or walks. Some of our stores also have the carts with a little car underneath the basket that the child can sit in and a tv so they can watch cartoons. You have to pay a buck to use them, but it's worth it.

Comment

Ugh, stupid parents these days.

Sad thing is that they CAN sue the store for any injuries. When I did management for one place we had a whole write up on this very subject. Which basically led to me being quite anal about telling parents to put the kid where they belong or they can leave!

Comment

Quoth Dark-Star View Post
                              And yet your store might well have been liable, in this age of being able to sue for anything and everything. Hopefully that lady grows a brain before her kid cripples or kills himself through childish foolishness.
                              If such a suit was attempted, all it would take is pointing out the instructions that are right there on the child seat in the shopping basket of every damned cart in the store.

In any case, there are procedures that EVERY retail store must follow when there's an accident with an injury. Those are as much to help the injured customer as to cover the store for liability.
                              "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X