This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you insensitive, selfish...

This got me so mad today that the adrenaline added a good ten minutes to my elliptical machine time!

I left class today at 12:20, went to my Jeep, changed into my gym shoes and was walking toward the fitness center on campus. As I'm passing an SUV I notice something moving around inside. This poor little dog was locked inside the SUV, all windows up, and it was easily over 90 degrees outside. (Ok, I just checked and at the time it was 89).

Being concerned for the dog, I call campus security. They send a guy over and call animal control. Campus security and I stand around for 40 minutes waiting for either the owner of the car or animal control to show up. While we wait Campus security pulls the log from the parking pay machine and notes that they parked at 12:03 PM and he showed up at the lot at 12:30, right after I had called.

Unfortunately the owner and family show up first.

CS = Campus Security
    BO = Bad owner
    BOW = Bad owner's wife
    Me = Hi!

CS - "Sir, is this your car?"
    BO - "Yeah, why? Did someone hit it?" He proceeds to inspect his car while one of his three little girls is screaming and crying.
    CS - "No sir, we were concerned about your dog. Can I have your ID sir?"
    BOW - loading the girls into the backseat.
    BO - "Uh yeah. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to have a dog on campus."
    CS - "You can have a dog on campus sir, but you're not supposed to lock them in a car without food, water or cool air."
    BO - "Oh."
    BOW to BO - "Why are they standing here?"
    BO - "I dunno." He leans into the car and turns on the AC for the little girls in the back while the dog escapes the car and proceeds to run into the grass at the edge of the parking lot and lay down.
    CS writes down the plate and the ID info. Unfortunately they're from out of state (I had made a joke about the slogan on the plate saying "Famous Potatoes" and I added "-heads" to the end for my own enjoyment.)
    BO - fetches dog and puts it back into the car.
    BOW - glaring at me as I glare back through my mirrored glasses. She gets in the car and shuts the door and then proceeds to say "What are you staring at?" to me.
    Me - "I'm staring at a woman who doesn't deserve a dog, kids, or air conditioning. You're an insensitive selfish yuppie cow and I hope you get locked in a metal box in the heat with no water or fresh air for over an hour." (un)Fortunately for me, the driver door was open, so she heard every word. CS just looked at me and smiled. BO got in the car and started to drive away.
    BOW rolls down her window just enough - "F*ck you!"
    Me - "Great way to raise your kids, lady."
    Me to CS - "At least I have adrenaline for my workout now!"

I mean, c'mon people! Really? I feel a little bad about what I said now that I've ellipticalled myself to a calm, and had a cool shower, but honestly, the thoughtlessness of some people just makes me wish I were a violent type rather than a passive aggressive vocal type.

I see that, sadly, a couple times a week in my parking lot. Unfortunately, I can only call police if the dog is at the point of imminent death; otherwise I can only page the person and chew them out when they arrive. I hate it when they say "I was only in there 5min/10min/1/2hour..." They are too selfish to realize how fast the heat builds-up in a car; I'm out of mine 5-min on an 85degree day, and when I get back (all windows down mind you) it feels like 100.

The pets seem healthy usually, I think the owners are just plain clueless. There's a few who honestly don't care; a pet is like a status symbol to them.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

oops, the rock in my hand slipped ...... sorry about the expensive window replacement. Jackass.
      Last edited by AccountingDrone; 07-08-2009, 12:30 AM. Reason: spelling sucks
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Animal or child in warm car = broken window.

No exceptions.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I've said it before, I never leave the kids in the car unless an adult is with them. My mom did it to us ALL the time. Drag all 5 of us to the store and tell us to stay in the car while she shopped...and shopped...and shopped. I leave my kids with an adult in case they get hot or bored so they can hop out and join us inside.
          Same with our dog. If she goes in the car with us, either the hubby or I stay with her. that's not kosher regardless if the dog is in there for 1 min or 1hr
          "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Our Mom would ask us if we wanted to come inside... except that was always really boring... so she'd roll down the windows and make sure the doors were unlocked so we could open them as we wanted.

Comment

..Honestly..I probably would have broken the car window and taken the dog inside to get water... to wait out the Animal control guys...

Go on..try and prove it was me... I just saw this cute little dog trying to drop dead from heat exhaustion out on the lawn...

*cough* You can get jail time for less than that with animals. Bastards.
              "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
              -Red

Comment

I had to take my cats to the vet the other day...it's a 15 minute drive and my car's AC is busted. I made sure to get a morning appointment because I knew all of this, and drove with the windows down and the car's fan blowing on high just to get as much circulation as I could. It was okay on the trip out, still cool, but the temp had risen to about 85 or 90 when I left and my car had been in the sun.

I felt absolutely awful, like the cruelest person in the world, as I watched one poor kitty go from sulking in his carrier to panting, to lying flat out panting horribly fast, to being too hot to pant--in the space of 15 minutes. His sister in the second carrier was trying desperately to dig out of her carrier and crying for me to come save her the whole trip home.

I don't get how people can do that on purpose!
                It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Last summer we had a guy leave his dog in his truck with the windows up for his whole 8 hour work shift. I spoke to him personally, I couldn't help myself, I asked him why he would do something like that. His answer was, "Well I couldn't leave him in my apartment, he would have chewed my stuff!"
                  Dog almost died, but score one for him anyway. He tore apart the inside of that guys truck, hehe! I'm pretty sure I posted about that one though.
                  "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Someone should have locked that POS in a car with the windows up and in 100 degree heat. Also, make sure he can't open the doors or the windows.

How can people be so damn stupid? It makes me sick to hear of animals and/or children left in hot cars to die a horrible death. Those people should be prosecuted to fullest extent of the law.
                    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

You guys are gonna love this. Yesterday afternoon I was driving home from the salon store (Hooray for $10 liter sale!) and I was hitting the beginning of rush hour.

Typically when I've been in rush hour, there isn't a lot of honking here. There is the occasional person who likes to try to weave in and out of the lanes thinking it helps them, but whatever.

So I was sitting happily in my jeep, the AC on (yes, I found a jeep with AC) listening to the radio when I start hearing all this honking really close. I look around a bit, don't see anything of interest, so I figure it's nothing. Traffic starts to move again and there is a huge clearance in front of me. That's when I realize where the honking is coming from. The SUV with the 'famous potatoes' plate swerves in front of me and slows down. Slows down A LOT.
                      Who do I see in the back window gesturing angrily at me but BOW. Birds are flying, it's obvious she's yelling at me and all I can think is "WTF is up with this cow?" Then she picks up the dog and holds him up to the window for me to see. Well, at least she remembers what I was angry with her about.

What are the odds though?

Comment

Everybody else around you was probably wondering what the hell she's on.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm sure this varies by state, but it's very very illegal to leave pets or kids in a car here alone -- the season doesn't matter (then again, we only have 2 seasons here, Summer and Not-Quite-Summer), and neither does the state of the windows. For kids in particular, it's just begging for some creep to walk by and grab them >_>
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I wouldn't dare leave my dog in the car for that long! How the hell can that bitch be so thoughtless and selfish?!!
                            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                              I see that, sadly, a couple times a week in my parking lot. Unfortunately, I can only call police if the dog is at the point of imminent death; otherwise I can only page the person and chew them out when they arrive. I hate it when they say "I was only in there 5min/10min/1/2hour..." They are too selfish to realize how fast the heat builds-up in a car; I'm out of mine 5-min on an 85degree day, and when I get back (all windows down mind you) it feels like 100.

The pets seem healthy usually, I think the owners are just plain clueless. There's a few who honestly don't care; a pet is like a status symbol to them.
                              Can you not claim ignorance in your calls and just say that you thought the dog looked VERY dehydrated (or whatever)?

"I didn't know the dog was fine. I'm not a vet and can't professionally judge the imminent point of death for a dog. in my opinion it looked to be in distress."

Might smarten people up more to have a cop chewing them out than yourself. (although people like that shouldn't even have pets really.)
                              Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

Working...
                              X