Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone who leaves a young child or pet, in their car alone, should be beaten vigorously with a wiffle bat for their stupidity. they both suffer heat injuries easily, and with an animal, it's the equivalent of being locked up in a fur coat, causing the temprature to be much higher (about 20+ degrees), so if it's even 70 degrees, it's still too hot due to internal temprature plus the fur factor.

she's a moron in need of more than just a wiffle bat...
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

My spoiled dogs and I agree that the only response for BOW is:

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
        I felt absolutely awful, like the cruelest person in the world, as I watched one poor kitty go from sulking in his carrier to panting, to lying flat out panting horribly fast, to being too hot to pant--in the space of 15 minutes. His sister in the second carrier was trying desperately to dig out of her carrier and crying for me to come save her the whole trip home.
        (Note: I'm not criticising you, I'm just making suggestions. I don't have A/C in my home, so I've got summer-survival-without-A/C tricks in my head.)

Put a small wet towel in the back of each carrier before the trip, and re-wet it at the vet's before you leave. The evaporation will cool the interior of the carrier, and if it's small and up the back, kitty can move to the front of the carrier if it's too cold.

Fill an old ice-cream tub with water the night before, and freeze it. Bring the block of ice into the car with you and the cats before the trip. Don't put it too close to the carriers, or it'll make a chill: just have it in the car kind of near the carriers. (If the carriers are in the 'foot' area of a seat, put it on the seat. Or vice versa.)

Have some wet cloth on hand, and if the carriers do become hot enough to distress the cats, drape the carriers with the wet cloth. As the water evaporates, the air inside the carriers will cool.

If you're *certain* it will become too hot, line the floors of the carriers with wet fabric. Only do this if it's going to be extreme temperature - it will make it harder for the kitty to self-regulate how close to get to the evaporation zone.

If the cats are distressed-hot at the vets, or at home, take each cat and dampen their pulse points, and put them in a room with a patch of damp floor tile they can choose to lie on.

I know you did the best you could with the information you had available, LadyAndreca, and that's great! I'm just giving you more info.

Good luck, and may you never need to know this stuff.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
          oops, the rock in my hand slipped ...... sorry about the expensive window replacement. Jackass.
          you know im fairly certain that in my state if you did that you couldn't be arrested...
          Last edited by Sliceanddice; 09-05-2009, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X