This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not an SC but sucky parenting overall

Alright so this one wasn't really a SC sighting as I have no idea if this lady was a customer anywhere :P.

But was in the mall with a friend making a trip to EB games and chapters (2 places I spend FAR too much money in lol).

and we're walking by the escalator thats going up (we're on the 1st floor). I see this lady with a kid of around... 4 or so. (old enough that he was walking by himself not carried or in a stroller or anything).

I see out of the corner of my eye the kid stumble at the bottom of the escalator so he's fallen on these moving stairs.

MOTY (mother of the year) holds her bags in one hand and grabs his wrist w/her other hand and attempts to YANK him to his feet by his wrist while he's on the escalator and she is still on the nice, flat, NOT MOVING UPWARDS ground of the mall floor.

This goes about as well as you'd imaging and the kid does NOT regain his footing and falls AGAIN.

so she tries to pull him up again... Once again not putting her bags down to use BOTH arms and also NOT moving onto the escalator to you know, get close to her child. So, predictably once again, the kid doesn't stay up and falls AGAIN. (but good ol mom still has hold of his ONE wrist in a deathgrip).

At this point I moved forward and hit the 'emergency off' button thats at the enterance's of all escalators.

and finally MOTY got the poor kid up on his feet.

Christ. apparently the risk of possibly dropping/spilling her shopping was more important that making sure her kid wasn't injured.
    Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Poor kid! Did she complain that he 'hurt himself on your escalators' ?
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

That's the kind of kid my sister sees in the ER with arm fractures from having their little bones twisted and yanked.

The only good thing about that is the injury is very easily identified for the abuse it is, and she's required by law to contact Child Protective Services. MOTY can try explaining to the cops what happened.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Oh ewwwww.

And .. well, good that there's a type of neglect/abuse that leaves clearly identifiable marks! Yay for attentive radiologists.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I sadly have this happening with my son a lot, specially as he learns the art of temper tantrums. I'll grab one arm to get him moving outside and while I'm trying to grab the other he's trying to escape and with try and throw himself on the floor. This usually winds up with me having a heart attack and imagining trying to explain his shoulder popped out of socket from him throwing a fit.

I swear the kid is gonna get me put in jail before I'm 40.
          "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

"that damn kid's on the escalator again!"

c'mon someone's gonna get that one
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
              Mallrats. I believe the scene where they're waiting in front of the comic shop, in line.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post

c'mon someone's gonna get that one
                awesome movie

and yea the quote crossed my mind AFTER the escalator stopped and the kid was in... well relatively ok condition
                Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                  Mallrats. I believe the scene where they're waiting in front of the comic shop, in line.
                  "Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator. "

On a side note: when I was about 5 or 6, i got a loose shoelace caught in the escalator going up. When my dad noticed it as we got to the top, he pulled out his trusty knife and sliced the laces down the middle as it was yanking really hard. Needless to say, I got a new pair of shoes that day.

Comment

That was a lucky kid. I was in a store once when a kid wasn't so lucky. I was not close enough to witness it, but I heard him. He screamed very loudly.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

now im remembering some horror movie involving a necklace and escalator...

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        Sounds like something you'd see in one of the Final Destination movies.
                        Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth AriRashkae View Post
                          Sounds like something you'd see in one of the Final Destination movies.
                          They're really not that creative.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I ruined a dress on an escalator once. The skirt wasn't particularly loose, but apparently loose enough that even though I was well 'inside the yellow lines', the skirt caught on a step anyway.

I loved that dress.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

I remember a necklace and an elevator from "Profondo rosso"
                              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                              X