This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-commissioning with an SC

Ah, the furry fandom. One of the things I like about it is how many good artists there are. And how many of them are willing to let you pay them for their work, explicit or otherwise.

A friend of mine decided to commission a picture from an honestly quite good artist. He's a nice guy, a little obstinate at times and prone to depression, but all around good guy.

But once we started, the problems arise. You see, he is... Not an artist. He is also not a particularly good writer. Both these things mean he has little knowledge of the creative process, and how taxing any creative endeavor can be.

We've commissioned twice and I'm seriously considering not doing another, because of how damn picky he is with the artist.

1) He demands a sketch within three days of commissioning, and a full colored and shaded version the next day.

2) He asks for things which would be impossible to represent and then complains when they don't look realistic.

3) He demands about thirty revisions to the sketch, and again, expects them to be done, and the sketch satisfactory, AND THEN have everything colored by about twenty four hours after he first commissions the pic.

4) He refuses to pay more than thirty five dollars for a picture.

5) He haggles. ALL THE TIME. About everything. If its possible to get something for less on the artist's page, he'll spend HOURS trying to convince the artist to give him THAT price. And then he expects me to congratulate him on his logic.

So, he expects something done fast, perfectly, and cheap.

He says that the people aren't professional artists, and the stuff isn't highly artistic so he doesn't need to pay the artists well. But at the same time, he's upset if the stuff that, even if the fantasy land furries live in were real, where people can be eaten and suffer few adverse effects, STILL would be physically impossible doesn't look realistic. What the hell does he mean "Not art?" If you want something done quickly and sloppily, yeah, sure, then you shouldn't have to pay highly. But if someone has to do all that work and revisions to their sketches (or in one case completely create new 3D models and animate them) I think they deserve more than 35 dollars.
    Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Quoth Hyena Dandy View Post
    So, he expects something done fast, perfectly, and cheap.
    We've done business cards for a company with a statement much like this (I've changed it a bit...)

"There are three options: GOOD, FAST and CHEAP.

You get to pick two.

If it's GOOD and FAST, it will cost you a lot.

If it's GOOD and CHEAP, it will take forever.

If it's FAST and CHEAP, it will break right away."
    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

I've experienced this- people forget that to the person drawing the picture, that is probably not their first priority. I took two days to draw something, while juggling packing my belongings for an overseas move and school and personal problems, and the person asked me what was taking so long... well, LIFE gets in the way.

Comment

and depending on the artist... yeah... since it's getting towards the end of Con Season here n the states.... most of them are probably experiencing some burn out (just so all you know, furry con season starts in lat January with a con I can't remember the name of and goes all the way IIRC until september with Rainfurrest here in loverly Washington) which means yes they are probably swamped... especially the ones who have a full time job as well as doing art.

yeah gotta love this fandom eh Dandy?

Comment

Quoth bunnyboy View Post
          and depending on the artist... yeah... since it's getting towards the end of Con Season here n the states.... most of them are probably experiencing some burn out (just so all you know, furry con season starts in lat January with a con I can't remember the name of and goes all the way IIRC until september with Rainfurrest here in loverly Washington) which means yes they are probably swamped... especially the ones who have a full time job as well as doing art.

Well, the artist in question (Red Dragon) doesn't do cons, is little known, and is a friend of ours, which is why she's not yelling at him.

"There are three options: GOOD, FAST and CHEAP.

You get to pick two.

If it's GOOD and FAST, it will cost you a lot.

If it's GOOD and CHEAP, it will take forever.

If it's FAST and CHEAP, it will break right away."

Some people need to learn this. You can't have EVERYTHING. He'd probably argue that since its possible for you to do it both good and fast, he shouldn't have to pay extra for that.

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

Quoth bunnyboy View Post

Where does Midwest Furfest fit into the picture of Con season? LOL

I'm Selenia by the way.. Wisconsins snow leopard fox mix.

Comment

Not a "professional artist"?

Doesn't the fact that they are producing art in exchange for money make them ...oh, what's the word... a professional?
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                Not a "professional artist"?

Doesn't the fact that they are producing art in exchange for money make them ...oh, what's the word... a professional?
                Yeah... And it may not be high art for a gallery, but he's crazy specific with his demands. So, come on, give them money.

Comment

Working...
                X