This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
    Depends on the college, I suppose. there are some colleges that will take anyone that breathes. sometimes even that isn't a requirement.
    Yep You'd be surprised at some of the people that get into college.

My first year we had an option of 2 english classes. An advanced writers critique course (very cool course basically involved reading short stories/essays/songs and then tearing them apart the next class. Made me a better writer and a very good editor).

the other class was a more basic one. I had a friend who said the advanced one sounded a bit much for him, so he took the basic one (remember this is first year college :P)

and he said it was mind numbingly dumb like stuff you did BEFORE highschool like the teacher would write a sentence on the board and have a student tell her what the noun was or the verb or whatever.

so basic grammar... which you have to do to PASS highschool.

and yes... people failed. in droves. I weep for humanity. This is why society as a whole is getting dumber. WE'RE LETTING THESE PEOPLE BREED!
    Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

The college I went to had open enrollment which was okay, I guess. The professors were awesome though and I think the people that weren't qualified to be in college got the point and went to a community college to learn what they should have in high school.

Comment

Apparently chair guy is back. My mother didn't spot him herself, but a customer came over a complained that a 'strange man' was lying on the floor whispering to the tables, and she thinks it's the same guy. Still hoping he tries to make off with furniture again.

Comment

Quoth Taboo View Post
          Apparently chair guy is back. My mother didn't spot him herself, but a customer came over a complained that a 'strange man' was lying on the floor whispering to the tables, and she thinks it's the same guy. Still hoping he tries to make off with furniture again.
          Just as long as it's "make off", and not "make out"...

No matter how low my opinion of humanity as a whole gets, there are always over-achievers who seek to surpass my expectations.

Comment

I was forced to take a single day of a college algebra class while in Tech School. I say one day, and mean it. We had a test not even an hour into the class to give the teacher an idea of where we all were mathematically... I saw it on the syllabus before he called role the first day, so, when he stumbled over my legal name (not what I went by in school), I said, "Don't bother, I won't be seeing you after today."
            H: "How so?"
            M: "This test you have scheduled... is it a test-out test? If we get above an 80, we get credit for the class?"
            H: "Maybe, I'd have to talk to my boss about that."
            M: "Then, you won't see me after today."
            We go through the class, we get the test, I finish in record time, and go for the 'smoke break' (I don't smoke, I just went out for the personal interaction...) and come back just before the lass starts back up. Professor stops me, and asks, "So, why won't you be coming back?"
            M: "I've taken Calculus twice in my schooling, for fun. Algebra would be a massive step back."
            H: "You're right. Good reason."

And I spent the rest of that class languishing over the terrible grasp my classmates had of fractions.
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Juwl, I wish I could have a bunch of you in MY classes!
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                well she could play it and there for listen to it every night as she sleeps
                You know what's fun? Getting a book on CD, and having the CD player set on random. My ex-wife did it with DaVinci Code in her car. I was wondering why the story was jumping all over the place.

Comment

Quoth Nohbody View Post
                  Just as long as it's "make off", and not "make out"...

Gah, no, I don't even want to think about that! Waaahhh... icky!
                  Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

Comment

Quoth Jack7957 View Post
                    You know what's fun? Getting a book on CD, and having the CD player set on random. My ex-wife did it with DaVinci Code in her car. I was wondering why the story was jumping all over the place.
                    Did it improve the actual story?

(Thought the movie was okay, at least for a matinee ticket, but the book... ugh.)

Quoth MrsEclipse View Post
                    Gah, no, I don't even want to think about that! Waaahhh... icky!
                    The brain bleach dispenser is over there. *points*
                    No matter how low my opinion of humanity as a whole gets, there are always over-achievers who seek to surpass my expectations.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                      And I spent the rest of that class languishing over the terrible grasp my classmates had of fractions.
                      I have learned that some teachers don't know what the hell they're doing when they teach about fractions. My brother was hopelessly lost until my mother told him how they worked, then he was golden. The teacher had been useless.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                      X