Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "speaker van" scam is alive and well...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "speaker van" scam is alive and well...

I was sitting in the parking lot of the local strip mall last night waiting for the wife. It was a nice evening, so I had the convertible top of her car down. A unmarked (but quite new-looking) white van pulls up and asks "Do you wanna buy a Home Theater System? They loaded an extra one on the truck."

I was not born yesterday and I've heard of this scam before. For those that don't know, the "speaker van" scam involves a stranger (always in an unmarked white van) selling you some bit of audio gear of a brand you have never heard of. They assure you this is a "high-end, audiophile-quality" system (too high-end for you to have ever heard of it.) It "sells for" $[insert crazy amount, like 3k here] but they are willing to part with it for, say, $400 in cash. This will be backed up with a flier listing how nifty it is that they just happen to be carrying around with them. (Oddly enough, in some variations they laminate it to save on printing costs... why would an installer carry around a laminated brochure?)

The reason they claim to be doing so is because "the warehouse loaded an extra one on the truck and won't notice when it doesn't come back." (That warehouse manager isn't going to be working long when he routinely loses track of $3k stereo systems...)

Naturally, this "audiophile-quality" system is in fact some random off-brand crap of the sort you could get at CheapoMart for $100 or so if it had an RCA or Westinghouse logo on it instead.

They only take cash, and when you get home and discover that it actually sounds like crap (or doesn't work at all) you realize that the van was unmarked, and furthermore, you won't call the cops because that would involve admitting you just tried to purchase stolen property. Even if you call the cops, they do nothing because protecting consumers who purchase allegedly stolen property are about at the same priority as an addict complaining he got sold fake crack.

Word gets around, and they move onto the next town soon after.

Anyway, I tell the guy no, and then he does the same trick with the poor guy coming out of his car next to me. I shout out to him that it's a scam. I get a dirty look from the guy in the van, who looks about to say something. I shout out again that its a scam and tell the driver to get outta here before I call the cops. (I worry not for my safety as this is broad daylight in a crowded shopping center...) He drives off, I guess to hit some other shopping center.

The guy I warned thanks me, as he was sick and not really thinking clearly. I have the feeling he was about to start chatting with these fine entrepreneurs about this fine offer...

SirWired

This works? Seriously?
    I will never go to school!

Comment

Quoth BaristaTrav View Post
      This works? Seriously?
      You'd be utterly shocked how stupid people can be when it's too good to be true.

Comment

Like the meat on the back of the truck deal. I am sorry, but if I am not coming to you to purchase something, please don't think I will buy from you just cause you knocked on my door.

**you is the collective you**

Comment

Heh it's almost like a 1 person Violin Scam....

Nice to know some of the old Victorian cons are still alive and kicking... gives me a chance to say I've read about better scammers than you, come up with something that didn't get figured out in the 1800's."

Oh and if anyone is interested, I have a friend who wants to sell his violin, for only $100...
          Last edited by bunnyboy; 09-16-2009, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Yep, this works. The scam has been around for years and years. There are several variations: the van may have a decal or magnet sign on it, but the info will be bogus. They may show the system as featured in Audiophile Magazine. This is a real magazine, and those were real ads, but the content of the ads is completely bogus. They will almost certainly be able to produce (bogus) business cards, (bogus) invoices, and may even have a "real" website for the company, and a "corporate" phone number that will confirm everything the fraudsters are saying. The van is almost always a white commercial van, but not always.

SirWired

Comment

This works? Seriously?
              You vastly overestimate the skepticism some people should have when they're presented with something too good to be true.

When people desperately want to believe something is true, they'll convince themselves it is true.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quite often, it works without even a crappy system to show for it. The box will be weighted down with bricks.
                The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Oh it works. An ex-roommate fell for it. Piss poor speakers.

Comment

I fell for this scam back in '07. NEVER AGAIN.

The issue with me is that I made the mistake of making objections instead of just saying "no." Those guys are the masters at overcoming objections.

Comment

the people who fall for that scam are doubly stupid... not just for falling for the scam, but if it were really as the van driver claimed and they knowingly bought stolen goods, the company the van driver stole from could sue the purchaser to recover the goods (or value of the goods)... thank you, I aint risking a $3k court settlement to save some money on speakers.
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I think someone tried this on me once. When I was 16 or 17, I was walking to my car after leaving the mall and a guy in a station wagon pulled up and offered to "give" me a home entertainment system because he was from a radio station and they were handing out prizes and asked me where my car was. It raised red flags since the car was unmarked, there was no identification whatsoever that the person did work for a radio station, and it didn't really look like there was much in the car. I told him no thanks and took a more round about route to my car. I wasn't too concerned about getting mugged or something because it was broad daylight and there were a lot of people around. When I thought about it later, I figured they'd give me something and say I needed to pay $X in taxes for it or something when the merchandise in question was broken or stolen.

Comment

This works? Seriously?
                          Given that I still see sympathetic headlines about 419 victims, colour me unsurprised.

Too many people forget the adage "If it seems too good to be true it probably is"
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

And yet, atleast one out of every 10 or so people would fall for that scam.

I did, 10 years ago, but I had no money, so they moved on.
                            Good Morning Base, 209 is Mobile !

Comment

I had that happen to be up in the Tundra just about a year ago.

Was walking out of the Beer Store and had the white van approach....

Them: "Wanna buy a great home theater system? I have an extra here."
                              Me (deadpan): "I'd need a home first." (True as I was in hotels for work looking for a place to live in the new city)
                              Them: Chirp tires out of the parking lot.
                              Me:

B
                              "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                              I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Working...
                              X