This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No please? No service!

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this. But there are a lot of places i.e. some bakers delights and some other smaller stores that are starting to refuse service to rude customers.

If the customer doesn't say please, thank you or acknowledge the employee at all then they won't service you.

Same goes for people on the phone or listening to a mp3 player.

Anyways I saw this in action for the first time ever. And it made me laugh.

Lady was waiting in the line behind me at a local IGA. Lady was on the phone. When I was finished I walked off to the side and sorted myself out when I hear a commotion and the lady storms out of the IGA without her groceries.

The cashier was a tad shocked and also annoyed. Apparently the lady didn't take too kindly to being told to be polite and get off the phone for the few seconds while the lady served her.

I really hope this keeps up. I'm sick of rude shits!
    I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

It was bound to happen. There's only so much rudeness retail workers can put up with. How can you serve your customers effectively if they act is if you're some nuisance?
    Last edited by Bright_Star; 09-20-2009, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Huzzah!

*wonders how to put this towards her boss at work*
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Do a search for news stories about it, and leave copies all over the office?
        The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

like how they did in Lethal Weapon 4?

Comment

ok..I totally understand refusing service to customers while they're on their phones (I've seen this at drs offices and subway too..amazing rule!) but I'm not sure I dig the "no please, no service" bit. I totally believe in being as nice to any employee as I can, there are just certain days when I'm in a horrible mood and it's really all i can take to be civil..(by civil..i mean that i might says hello or smile in greeting but all in all ignore all chatter that i can) if someone told me that I couldn't finish my transaction because I didn't say please or thank you...I would probably ask for a refund (if needed) and walk out.

that and this rule could potentially be abused by lazy employees so they can get out of work or use it as a power trip... i've seen similar in past coworkers when they get a power to refuse service...
            Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

One of the nearby grocery stores has a sign at their deli counter that says "We'll be happy to help you once you're done with your cell phone conversation." I think it's a good idea.

Comment

I think it's a really fantastic idea, but unfortunately if we had that policy around here then there'd never be any customers allowed in
                !
                "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Our pharmacy's drive-up window has the "Please get off the phone" sign. I don't know how often people actually read it, though. Depending on my mood, I either say nothing except to give them their total, or ask them a ton of questions to interrupt their conversation.

The sign I really wish we could post is one like the gas station down the street: "To be served at this store, your pants must be pulled up to waist level."

Comment

Quoth MaseMan View Post
                    One of the nearby grocery stores has a sign at their deli counter that says "We'll be happy to help you once you're done with your cell phone conversation." I think it's a good idea.

I'd love to get that pin for my vest at work - but I'm sure it'll be frowned upon.
                    Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

I totally agree with ignoring customers who are too busy with their phone conversation to pay attention to the transaction they are trying to make, but I, too, think refusing service unless they say "please" and "thank you" is going a little too far. Yeah, some people are rude, but so is treating people like toddlers (I had a customer once who said "thank you" as I gave her her change, and I didn't respond immediately because I was still sorting out her money in the drawer and getting her bag...but two seconds later she said to me, as if speaking to a four-year-old, "Now you say you're welcome". I just gave her a look and handed her her bag. At that point I was a bit too stunned to say anything.) I've had plenty of customers not say please and thank you and I would never in a million years say, You can't have your purchase until you say please. I just say "have a nice day" and go on with mine.
                      Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 09-28-2009, 02:05 AM.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

The local library here has signs up stating that "Employees have a right to work here without being verbally or physical abused by the public".

So sad that they had to actually make signs like that.
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

If we (and by we, I mean the fraternity of former and current retail workers) find it objectionable when customers tell us to smile, or take it upon themselves to "instruct" us in common courtesy, why then should we turn around and do the same to them?

Comment

Quoth Record Store Tough Guy View Post
                            If we (and by we, I mean the fraternity of former and current retail workers) find it objectionable when customers tell us to smile, or take it upon themselves to "instruct" us in common courtesy, why then should we turn around and do the same to them?
                            I agree. It's not my job to be the Politeness Police. Please and thank you are nice to hear, but I can't just refuse service because somebody forgets one of those. They can be just fine even if they do forget.

With regard to the cell phone lady--I'm adding her to my list of Idiots of Biblical proportions, along with most corporate types, Joi's CEO, VRS' manager, and those people who think Roman Polanski is getting a raw deal.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                            X