This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Semitism? at DD?

The other DD thread reminded me of this.

My boyfriend's father is Jewish, and while my boyfriend is not practicing (his mother isn't), he has somewhat Jewish features. Most importantly what I like to refer to as 'the nose'. It's big and I love it, I happen to think it's one of his best features. The point is, most people can tell that at least one of his parents is practicing. Even if this lady couldn't tell, it's still rude.

Now I wasn't personally there for this incident, but he told me immediately after it happened and I was pissed. He can sometimes come off as a little rude, but he never gets to SC level and what this woman said was WAY out of line. One day he goes into a DD and gets himself a regular iced coffee. He gets it and it tastes, well, crappy. Either the coffee was burnt, it sat out too long, or something got into the machine. Either way, he hated the taste. He asked for another one, stating that the first one tasted incredibly burnt, and they made him another. That one tasted nasty too. They remade it a total of three times and each time it seemed to get progressively worse. He then, as politely as possible, asked for a refund. Now, he wasn't acting outrageous or rude, he didn't drink the whole thing and then complained, he merely asked for a refund.

The woman then shot him the dirtiest look as she was processing the transaction and uttered the following:

"Get your money and get the hell out of my store, you dirty Jew."

WTF? Did you really just say that? Who even says something like that anymore? And how could you possibly think that's an acceptable thing to say to someone EVER?

I asked if he complained and he merely said he didn't want to deal with it. I tried to get details out of him but he refused to complain to a manager. He just told me which one it was, and we avoid that one from now on.
    It's like the people in Vegas who have sex in video-monitored elevators.. -MoxisPilot
    The elevators are monitored?!!! OH CRAP!!! -Sheldonrs

Wow I'm sorry that happened to your boyfriend. You should complain about the store. That would never be tolerated in my store.

Comment

He should've complained about that. The woman's behavior was way out of line and downright unprofessional.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Oh heck no! Go to corporate, that's completely NOT RIGHT!

Guy was running a stand at my mall selling socks and a customer came by, picked some up, and asked about the price. The guy told him and the customer asked "Can I jew you down on the price?" The guy said "No, but you can get away from my store now; I'm not selling you the socks." The customer asked "why" and the guy said "because I'M Jewish!"

Just wrong, so wrong. You just don't go there.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

yeah, that woman needs to be fired and get some customer service lessons-there are lines you NEVER cross, that's one of them, regardless of personal feelings towards a given group.

i hear about the nose thing all the time; what exactly does that mean? i have a fair sized honker myself, but i come from a long line of englishmen with large honkers.

i'm betting that the machine needed cleaning, service or both; the person who was in charge failed in their duty that day (and probably on many others too).

i'm sorry your boyfriend had that happen; some people are just shits.
          look! it's ghengis khan!
          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

That's really unacceptable. Maybe she didn't know your BF was Jewish but she at least thought that calling him a Jew would insult him. That person should not be working in customer service
            !
            "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

It upset me so much that he didn't want to at least talk to a manager about it. He seems to have lost faith in most people and doesn't seem surprised when things like this happen. I expect SCs, yes, but this crossed a line into straight up bigotry, which shouldn't be tolerated. We still fight about it on the odd occasion that something reminds him of it.

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
              i hear about the nose thing all the time; what exactly does that mean? i have a fair sized honker myself, but i come from a long line of englishmen with large honkers.
              I don't know how exactly it started, but every Jewish or nonpracticing Jewish guy I know loves to point out that they have the nose. There's a specific shape to it, and often times it is quite large. I can't actually hold my bf's nose shut because it's so big.
              It's like the people in Vegas who have sex in video-monitored elevators.. -MoxisPilot
              The elevators are monitored?!!! OH CRAP!!! -Sheldonrs

Comment

I can't actually hold my bf's nose shut because it's so big.
                it's the mother lode of all noses!
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  Guy was running a stand at my mall selling socks and a customer came by, picked some up, and asked about the price. The guy told him and the customer asked "Can I jew you down on the price?"
                  I've never understood this thing of using racially-charged language like that as if it was everyday conversation. I know a lot of people who do it, and most of them don't get why I think it's inappropriate. And I'm not one of those people who whines when someone calls a chalkboard a "blackboard" or anything. What I mean is serious, this-gets-bleeped-out-on-TV language used in casual conversation.
                  » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Personally I like rather large, beaky noses. I think they are very regal. Then again I might be biased because I have a rather large nose; funny though, I'm Native American/German/Irish/Scottish.
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

My husband is legally Jewish (his mom's Jewish, non-practicing, his dad is Gentile), he considers himself Jewish, and he runs into bigotry sometimes out of nowhere. The only thing that looks Jewish is his hair, it's beautiful, dark brown, curly/wavy. I would kill for those curls. But people he considered friends, or at least friendly acquaintances, have suddenly made really bigoted statements to him, and called him names.

I'm really sorry about what happened to your boyfriend. It makes me sick.
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

My brother told me a story once of a girl in one of his classes (I forget which) who was responding to some discussion in class, about having to watch out for retail workers, because "They'll 'joo' you out of your money."
                        And the sound of every hand meeting forehead was heard, apparently. In part because this was a girl who was not well-liked in that class room, and in part because she apparently didn't realize that the professor was Jewish.
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Some people can be so stupid. And I agree with what a previous poster said-some lines, you just don't cross. I'm speaking as an Irish-American lapsed Roman Catholic with a pug nose and Midwestern roots.

And people wonder why I like cats.
                          Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

Quoth lobo94 View Post
                            And people wonder why I like cats.
                            Because you like...

No, I won't go there. But damn is it tempting.
                            No matter how low my opinion of humanity as a whole gets, there are always over-achievers who seek to surpass my expectations.

Comment

Why Lobo94 is a cat person

Heya, Nohbody,

Well, since, in my opinion, cats are smarter, have more sense, and are more reasonable than a lot of people, especially SCs, I just prefer their company.

Besides, after a long day of fighting the never ending battle, kitty kisses and headbutts go a long way. My wee one is a good listener.

And hey, the best humor is homemade.

Now you all know. And knowing is half the battle.
                              Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

Working...
                              X