This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dumb American in an Irish Ice Cream Parlor

I am an American but sometimes I am embarrassed to admit it, here is an example of why. . .

Whilst visiting the beautiful Ireland country I stopped in an ice cream shop with some friends. (Sidenote: best ice cream I ever had!!!)

So anyway, after chatting it up with the employees my friends and I sit down to enjoy our treats. Now, I am not a nosy person I just have very acute hearing so I am really good at following several different convos at once. My back was to the counter where another American has come in to purchase ice cream. An elderly fellow. This is what I hear at first

Em: Ice Cream Employee
    Em2: Ice Cream Employee #2
    SC: dumbass American

Em: We only deal in Euros
    SC: Take it
    Em: We don't know the conversion rate
    SC: It's ok, take it.
    EM: Sir, we can't accept that

I look over at this point and the man is trying to give them a $10 American bill.
    He mumbled something about that they could keep it, blah blah blah.

EM2: *just to get rid of him* just take it. I am going to the bank later anyway.

I wanted to rip his head off!!! The arrogant mutha frucker!!! You don't just wander into another culture and expect them to treat you different/special/whatever cause you are an American? Your money is not good there!!!

My biggest pet peeve is when other people are disrespectful to other cultures. Get off your high horse and convert your own damn money before you start shoving it in people's faces.

I forget what the conversion rate is but he was paying for a 5 Euro ice cream with 10 bucks so i don't think he short changed them, just gave them extra work to do.
    When Angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel.

At the time of my posting:

10.00 USD = 6.81702 EUR

Hopefully their bank doesn't charge a high fee for conversion.

Comment

Idiots like that old codger give American tourists a bad name.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

idiots like that old codger give us a bad name back home, too.
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

The U.S. is the Land of the Whiner, the Home of the Entitlement Whore, filled as far as the eye can see with Extra-speshul liddle snowflakes.

And sometimes they travel. Sorry, world.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth G-Radical View Post
            Get off your high horse and convert your own damn money before you start shoving it in people's faces.
            Jet-lagged as we were, changing some money was the first thing we did before even leaving the airport when we got into Edinburgh! Well, after clearing passports and getting our luggage....
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
              The U.S. is the Land of the Whiner, the Home of the Entitlement Whore, filled as far as the eye can see with Extra-speshul liddle snowflakes.
              There are people like that in every country on earth. Case in point: We have members here from all over the UK, Canada, South Africa, and France, just to name a few. And every single one of us has a story or two about an entitlement whore. Please don't turn this into a thread about all American tourists being awful. Some are, some aren't -- like the people of any country.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                There are people like that in every country on earth. Case in point: We have members here from all over the UK, Canada, South Africa, and France, just to name a few. And every single one of us has a story or two about an entitlement whore. Please don't turn this into a thread about all American tourists being awful. Some are, some aren't -- like the people of any country.
                I'm American. I've got ancestors who fought in the Revolution. I'm don't want to end up in Fratching, but honestly every day the number of EWs I see just seems to increase. Yes, they are every race, age, sexual orientation, native, immigrant, etc. there is, but there is a culture in the U.S. that's arisen here that seems to make people believe they have the right to be assholes, just because they feel like it.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I think you misunderstood what I was asking, so I'll try again and make it crystal clear:

Please do not turn this into a thread about American tourists behaving badly. That line of discussion is to be dropped immediately. This is a direct instruction from the moderating team.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Attempting to get back on topic here--I've only been out of the U.S. twice, and both times I was in Canada, and we always made sure to get our money changed over to Canadian dollars very shortly after we crossed the border.

It ought to be common sense that when you leave the U.S., you'll be required to transact business in the new country in their currency.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      Attempting to get back on topic here--I've only been out of the U.S. twice, and both times I was in Canada, and we always made sure to get our money changed over to Canadian dollars very shortly after we crossed the border.
                      Many canadian businesses will take American money, though many only at par. And usually only when they can make around 10-15 cents on each dollar through the exchange rate, though of course this varies. The times when canadian money is worth MORE than the US Dollar, well then this policy gets repealed. (The last time was Autumn 2007).

Where I work, the registers actually have a conversion rate tool built in and a whole system setup to charge american money for canadian items.... and nobody ever uses it, because the bosses have decreed we'll only offer at-par.
                      Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Quoth MrSmiley View Post
                        Where I work, the registers actually have a conversion rate tool built in and a whole system setup to charge american money for canadian items.... and nobody ever uses it, because the bosses have decreed we'll only offer at-par.
                        We actually did offer a rate, though of course slanted in our favour at the added charge the bank tossed at us. Then again, at one place, we were a fairly major tourist stop (why tourists go to see a movie, I dunno), and the other, we were connected to a hotel which was near the Greyhound station, and the airport shuttle dropped off cheap.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

When we traveled to Canada, we obviously did some exchange at the airport but not all of our money. We would dine out and the servers would always bring our bill with 2 different charges-one in Canadian dollars and one in U.S. dollars. That helped out if we ate at a more expensive place and didn't have enough Can. on us at the time.

Comment

definitely, as the old adage states,"when in rome...," it also applies to payment method in LOCAL currency.
                            look! it's ghengis khan!
                            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

when i was in europe on the ship, they gave us nice conversion charts to use for quick reference
                              and we always went to the ATMs

though for us it was a bit easier since we were hitting a lot of european countries, we could save the leftover euros for other ports.

i did that when i came back from a tour... i didn't have $50 worth of euros so i couldn't exchange them at the bank so i saved them for the next deployement.

Comment

Working...
                              X