This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frightening Bus Ride

So the other night, I got off work and started heading home. It takes 2 buses, the first of which gets me to downtown, the second bus takes me downtown to home.
    Bus number 2 was waiting downtown, no driver but open. There were a few guys on there, blasting rap music. The music was so loud that they HAD to be playing it from their phone with no headphones or a radio.

Not only was the music loud, but it was vulgar. B*tch this, whore that, f*ck this, d*mn that. THAT sort of music. Not my musical choice any day, but very inappropriate on a public bus. I was very annoyed, but decided to ignore it. I figured that the driver would of COURSE make sure the music was turned off when he got on. I was very, very wrong.

He got on the bus, not even giving the guys a dirty look. Just turned on the bus and drove along. The whole time the guys are conversing with the same sort of language that they were listening to.

Then they started talking about me, encouraging each other to go "hit that", discussing their opinions of my body type, etc.

I was beyond freaked out. Here it is, 11pm, and I am going to be getting off the bus on a dark street right in front of my house. I had no idea if these guys were going to follow me off the bus, watch where I live, any number of things.

I ended up calling my best friend and cryptically getting her to meet me at the stop without naming it as my "home" stop. She showed up a few mins later (they didn't follow), and drove me around the block. I felt horrible for getting her out of the house at 11pm, but didn't know what else to do. After I explained things, she agreed that I did the right thing. Damn I'm lucky to have such a great friend.

I tried to complain to the bus company, but got a recording. Left a message, but no response as of yet. If I don't get a response, not sure where I can go from here.
    "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

You live in the United States, so it's likely your bus company has a safe haven program. At least on UTA if it is after dark and you feel you are in danger the driver is required to allow you boarding on the bus (though you already paid so it's a moot point) and radio in to transit police to meet them at a stop down the road to pick you up to provide police service (be that providing safe transport, filing a report, etc).
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Ugh, that is not cool. The bus driver should definitely have done something! What an ass! He was probably afraid that the guys would start bothering him instead Guys who talk about a woman like that, especially if she can hear, are just the scum of the earth. I don't blame you for feeling threatened. Hopefully you never have to deal with that again!
      !
      "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Glad you got home safe. You did the right thing by calling your friend. I hate guys who act like that. It's so disgusting. At least if they have to say something about you, do it when you leave, not when you're on the bus. That's just plain creepy. I know in NYC, we have a system for the buses where after 10pm, while the bus is along the route, they can drop you off nearer to your house/location as long as it's along the route where it is going. That's pointless for me though since the bus pretty much stops near my house anyway. If something happened to me like that, I would've just texted my mother to come look around while I get off the bus or something.

Comment

Ugh. What a bunch of pigs! Glad you got home safe, you did the right thing.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

You're lucky to have such a good friend who is understanding like that. Glad you got home safely.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I forgot to post the update to this story. I finally did talk to someone, gave them the story, and the assured me it would be taken care of.

A few days later, I get a call, they had spoken with the driver. Sounds good huh?

Nope.

Lets count the lies the driver told-

1- Said he asked the guys to turn down the music.
              2- Said the bus was quiet.
              3- No profane language was used.
              4- Said they got off the bus 10 mins before I did
              5- Said I was the only patron on the bus when I got off of it

Conveniently, just enough time had passed that the recording was unavailable for review.

Jerk. Or maybe I should go get a psychiatric review or censured for being an asshole. After all, to get it that wrong, it MUST be my fault. Therefore, I either HAVE to be crazy, a bitch, or under the influence of some substance.

Nice to know the driver got away with it.
              "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Considering the bus driver is probably a city employee, the outcome doesn't surprise me one bit.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

tell the newspaper? I know the ones up here just LOVE stories like that.
                  Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Check whether your bus routes pass a police station, fire station, or ambulance station, after they pass your home.

If you get a recurrance, stay on the bus past your home, till you get to the station. I don't think you need a 'what to do after that'.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

*giggles* No, don't think I do.

Yeah... The busses around here are getting ridiculous... But nothing happens when you complain about it!

I even slammed my knee into the bus seat the other day because the driver couldn't be bothered to wait 10 seconds for me to have a seat before he took off. I didn't say anything though...

Last time someone fell on the bus, the bus was delayed 30 minutes while they took a report and pictures and stuff... No way was I about to be late for work.

Safety doesn't matter to these idiots.

Comment

Working...
                      X