Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uh how about you just deal with the word "No"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh how about you just deal with the word "No"?

Happen to a friend of mine but struck me as all kinds of stupid off the top of my head. Health care people feel free to tell me otherwise.

Both me and my pal are pregnant. She lives in Michigan though while I live in my cornfield. She's about a month behind me, which pegs her at roughly 3 months pregnant.

Now she goes to a clinic and this is her first child. She's told the doctor is off at the hospital delivering but the nurse knows what all to do. This appointment is a big one to her since she's to hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time. The clinic wouldn't take her in till she missed 2 periods and the first time her heartbeat was in the way so to speak.

First off the nurse didn't really let her listen to the baby's heart beat. She found it and then instantly was like "Ok we're done." My friend was very disappointed about it since she had not heard it herself and didn't know what she was listening for. This I will somewhat let slide since it's possible the nurse didn't know it's her first and my pal failed to speak up.

What really bugs me is that the nurse tried to bully her into a flu shot. Yes you read that right.

First off, my friend's insurance does not cover flu shots and since she had to cut back on her hours at her job money has been tight for her and her hubby. Second, I believe a flu shot works the same as any other immunization. They are giving you a weaker version of the disease. Either way that sticks me (and her) as not something you give a pregnant woman.

Now my friend told the nurse no and the nurse gave her a glare and immediately started demanding to know why she shouldn't have the flu shot and went on about how X many people have died. The nurse refused to take the answers provided (like the fact that she doesn't have the money to pay for it) and pretty much tried to bully my friend into getting the shot. My friend even stated she wanted to talk to the doctor first and that didn't get the nurse off her back.

My pal had to cave and pull the religion card ("I'm sorry that's against my religion") in order to get the nurse to shut up and leave her alone.

I told my friend she should have demanded to see someone in charge cause that cannot be something they allow. She's not so sure since the clinic and hospital have a reputation of trying to squeeze money out of people. Almost every girl in the area that has had a baby had it via c-section instead of natural birth.

Personally I'm thinking it's a good thing my pal opted to hunt up a mid-wife. O_o
    "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

but why not?

Because I said NO and you have no say in the matter!

Comment

Quoth Mamadrae View Post
      Personally I'm thinking it's a good thing my pal opted to hunt up a mid-wife. O_o
      That's precisely what I was going to suggest.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Your friend has an absolute right to refuse a flu shot, or any other medical treatment.

That being said, she may want to read this

Comment

strange. as 90% of the nurses I work with DONT get teh flu shot. (no idea why. it's free to employees and i pray and hope that NO ONE working in the healthcare field is dumb enough to beleive the 'it gives you the flu' myth about the shot).

but in any case yea. we (we being health care professionals) aren't supposed to influence ANYONE''s healthcare decisions just give them info and let em make their own choice.

the MOST i'll ever say to a patient is "well the doctor thinks it's a good idea because... (insert whatever issue is here.)' but thats it if patient doesn't want whatever test/treatment etc. is then fine i take em back over to their room and let the doc deal w/it him/herself
          Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

Quoth Docmayhem View Post
            Your friend has an absolute right to refuse a flu shot, or any other medical treatment.

That being said, she may want to read this
            Thanks Doc, I was wondering about that myself. It struck me as a terrible idea to do when you have no idea what it'll do to a pregnant woman and I certain didn't know any that had the shot. I had the same reaction as she did over it and thought "Ask the doctor". When in doubt, always ask a doctor. That's my motto on my health anyways.
            "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

Quoth MergedLoki View Post
              strange. as 90% of the nurses I work with DONT get teh flu shot. (no idea why. it's free to employees and i pray and hope that NO ONE working in the healthcare field is dumb enough to beleive the 'it gives you the flu' myth about the shot).

but in any case yea. we (we being health care professionals) aren't supposed to influence ANYONE''s healthcare decisions just give them info and let em make their own choice.

the MOST i'll ever say to a patient is "well the doctor thinks it's a good idea because... (insert whatever issue is here.)' but thats it if patient doesn't want whatever test/treatment etc. is then fine i take em back over to their room and let the doc deal w/it him/herself
              That is NOT a myth. I had to have mandatory flu shots while in the service and got the flu bug about a week later EVERY single time.
              I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
                That is NOT a myth. I had to have mandatory flu shots while in the service and got the flu bug about a week later EVERY single time.
                it's a myth it cannot give you the flu the virus they inject you with is dead, killed by heat. certain people CAN have bad/adverse side effects to the flu shot. (i have coworkers who do not get the flu shot for this reason if they get it they have to take time off work because their reactions are so severe and debilitating) including flu-like symptoms but it isn't the actual influenza bug.

Also the flu shot DOES NOT give you 100% immunity to the flu bug. what it does is lessen the severity and the time you HAVE the flu (say cutting it down to a week you need off work as oppose to 2 weeks to a month).
                Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

The flu shot is actually recommend for pregnant women (in the recommendations I always see, senior citizens, young kids and pregnant women are always in the top 3). That said, it's up to her and the nurse shouldn't be arguing with her over it. If anything, she should discuss it with the doctor.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I haven't had a flu shot in many years, and I don't intend to start now.

Not only because of the potential for a bad reaction to the shot, but also because I detest needles.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Gah. Nurses like that are right-up with the vets who give your animals immunizations you didn't ask for or want, and weren't on any paperwork you authorized, and expect you to cough-up $300 when you pick-up your dog who was only supposed to have his anal glands squeezed!!!

I'm convinced over-immunization-ing leads to other problems.
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                        Gah. Nurses like that are right-up with the vets who give your animals immunizations you didn't ask for or want, and weren't on any paperwork you authorized, and expect you to cough-up $300 when you pick-up your dog who was only supposed to have his anal glands squeezed!!!

One of the reasons I always make it a point to complain about lacking money where ever I go. Not only keeps me mentally in line with my spending, keeps people from trying to overcharge me things. Why even try when I likely don't have the cash for it?

Only big shot I'm anal about on my animals is rabies, and that's cause I know there are bats in the area. Once in awhile they manage to squirm into the house from a door left open or something and the pets try to catch them. I have no interest in having to kill my pets for getting the disease.

As for the flu shot I don't bother with it. My way of thinking is that women were having babies long before that sucker came out and I don't feel like paying the money. I'll survive getting the flu just like I did the rest of the times I caught it in my life. With chicken soup and oj mowing it down with semi automatic guns and landmines.

Granted I'm also the weird mom in my son's preschool who isn't having her son scrub his hands before and after class with an entire bottle of hand sanitizer...

Comment

Quoth MergedLoki View Post
                          what it does is lessen the severity and the time you HAVE the flu (say cutting it down to a week you need off work as oppose to 2 weeks to a month).
                          Well, there is no "the" flu. It's a family of strains of the virus. The flu you got last year won't be the same flu you get next.
                          Quoth LillFilly View Post

If your dog needs his anal glands squeezed, you either need to feed him more solids or find some other way to stiffen his stool.

On the over-immunization thing, I agree with you there.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            ...find some other way to stiffen his stool...
                            They have little blue pills for that, too!

(Immodium)
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

HI!! Had to throw in my 2 cents.

Im an RN...& no flu shots here! The hospital offers them every year and every year I refuse (Im a new nurse, but have been in health care with direct pt contact for 6.5 years before this.) I think theyre pointless, they find last years flu strain, killl the virus and inject it back into you....MAYBE theyre right on what strain will be prevalent this year, maybe theyre not.

And while the flu shot giving you the flu IS a myth...the only year I got the flu shot, I also got the flu...and that seems to be the case for a lot of people..so that being said, Ill wash my hands and sneeze/cough in my elbow and carry on.

And yes, flu shots are ok for pregnant people (reccommended as some have pointed out)...but asking for the shot that is preservative free is the best way to go. If the flu shot is pre drawn into a syringe, its likely preservative free. If the vaccine is being drawn out of a multidose vial, it likely has a preservative.

Comment

Working...
                              X