Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uh how about you just deal with the word "No"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, that "nurse" in the OPs story was out of line. Was this a nurse, a medical assistant a midwife? just curious

Comment

Well you can call it "not really the flu" as much as you want, but I had one of those "reactions" every single time I got the flu shot, as mandated by the Air Force. Within 3 days, I was flat on my back with a high fever, stiff neck, and other symptoms. To top it all off, I also got the "real" flu a few months later.

It was nice explaining to the doctor why you were in bed for weeks with flu-like symptoms and they pull that "it's just a myth."

Right.

Oops edited, as I forgot to add...for the OP - it's her body and her decision. I hate it when people try to pressure you into doing something like that.
      Last edited by Astrokitty; 10-01-2009, 08:53 PM. Reason: I'm a sick kitty

Comment

Quoth Astrokitty View Post
        Well you can call it "not really the flu" as much as you want, but I had one of those "reactions" every single time I got the flu shot, as mandated by the Air Force.
        You have a wonderfully reactive immune system. It spots flu virus, it reacts to flu virus.

Most of the symptoms of a cold or flu are our body's reactions to the virus - the way it gets rid of it. High fever because our bodies survive higher temperatures than the viruses do. Runny nose and eyes to wash the virus out of those orifices. So your body is working overtime to get rid of the inactive flu virus it's been injected with.

On the plus side, it means you're likely to be healthy and stay healthy. On the minus side, you may suffer more from minor infections.....
        Last edited by Seshat; 10-02-2009, 02:56 AM.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I very very very very much don't want to go into fratching territory here, but let's say I'm part of the crackpots who beleive the swine flu shoot can be harmfull, this is not extended to all medicine or flu shots in general though.
          I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
            I'm convinced over-immunization-ing leads to other problems.
            Completely Fratching. I'll give one warning. I don't want anyone further discussing this. We'll stick to the bullying nurse, please and thank you.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I can't even imagine how hard it was to deal with that nurse! This is yet another reason I'm probably never going to have kids. I want the best but dang, the dealing with the other people would be the worst.

As a side note, you and your friend might want to make sure you have a very VERY specific birth plan written up. And, go over it with your doctor and any other possible people who will be helping with your birth. This can greatly reduce the unnecessary c-section factor.

*HUGS* Good luck!
              Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

Quoth Mamadrae View Post
                Either way that sticks me (and her) as not something you give a pregnant woman.
                actually getting the vaccine(injected vaccine is made with a killed virus-the nasal spray vaccine is live/weakened) is safer than getting the actual flu for a pregnant woman-Flu can cause dehydration very quickly in a pregnant woman and dehydration usually means baby does not make it.

from the mayo clinic

Yes, it's safe to get an influenza (flu) shot during pregnancy. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends seasonal flu shots for anyone who will be pregnant during flu season

And Babycenter's nurse-midwife

Should I get a flu shot when I'm pregnant?

Yes.
                Your caregiver should offer you a flu shot at a regularly scheduled prenatal visit. If she doesn't, ask for one. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), and the World Health Organization (WHO) all recommend a flu shot for women who will be pregnant during flu season (October to mid-May). That's because if you get the flu while you're pregnant, you're more likely to have serious complications, such as pneumonia, that could put you and your baby at risk.

What's more, there's evidence that getting a flu shot during pregnancy offers your baby some protection after birth: Anti-flu antibodies that you develop after getting the shot are passed to your baby, providing him with immunity that may be protective until he's 5 or 6 months old.

This is important because young babies who catch the flu are at particular risk for serious illness, but they can't be vaccinated themselves until they're 6 months old. Learn more about flu shots for children.
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                X