Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Girls don't know anything about computers!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls don't know anything about computers!

This happened...a while ago. Maybe 4-5 years ago. My brother had "helped" me build my own PC (that was my first mistake. Should've asked me now-husband, even though we weren't dating at the time, we were still friends and he knows a lot more about computers than my brother does. Anyway.) It ran fine for a while (about a year or two) but eventually it started having some trouble. I think I first became aware of the issue when a funny noise started coming from the tower. Shortly after that, the computer shut off and wouldn't reboot. Since it was a home-built machine, there was no manufacturer warranty on any of it, and I didn't trust my brother enough to diagnose the problem, so I decided to take it to a local computer repair shop.

That was mistake #2.

It turns out the processor fan was dead. They pawned the machine off on some high school kid who was supposedly the resident expert at everything and knew more than most of the professional techs who worked there. He replaced the fan and I had my machine back in about a day.

About a day after that, my computer started having problems again, and this time whatever happened messed up my hard drive, to the point that I couldn't even read my hard drive on our backup machine (we had an older computer that I could use to test a few things on or use as backup in case the main one went down.) The computer repair shop had given me the box for the new fan they put in my machine, so I took a look at it.

I don't remember the exact specs, but it turns out that the fan wasn't powerful enough for the processor I had at the time.

I was pissed! I called the computer repair shop back and they told me to bring it back in. Against my better judgement, I agreed, at least to get my money back. They took a look at it and determined that the processor was now fried, and there was indeed something wrong with my hard drive as well, although the only thing they'd pay for would be to replace the fan again. (they claimed the HD failure had nothing to do with the processor issues; it just coincidentally happened at the exact same time.) If I wanted a new processor or my HD restored, I had to pay for all of it myself.

I think it was around that time I decided to get a laptop. My brother told me of one that he thought looked good (why did I listen to him? why?) and it fared a little better than my PC, but not by much.

I eventually started having overheating problems with it, although I didn't know that at the time, so I ended up calling the manufacturer's technical support help line. What a waste of time. This was a small manufacturer, so first of all, the customer service rep I talked to could barely speak English. He also seemed convinced that because I'm a girl, I had no freaking clue what I was talking about. The conversation went something like this (I don't remember the details anymore, so sorry that it's a bit vague):

Him: You need to do (something) when the computer boots up.
    Me: But it won't get past the BIOS screen so I can't do that.
    Him: ... You need to reboot the computer and do (something).
    Me: But I can't do that unless I'm in Windows...
    Him: Yes, we need to test (something) in Windows now so you need to reboot.
    Me: *sigh* Fine. *turns computer off and then turns it back on* Okay, I'm at the BIOS screen.
    Him: It needs to finish booting.
    Me: It won't.
    Him: It won't?
    Me: No, it's not going any further, it gets stuck on the BIOS screen.
    Him: Oh, then we can't test this. You'll need to send it in so we can look at it.

THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO TELL YOU.

Finally, last year, I asked my husband for advice on getting a new laptop and now I have a fantastic one that I haven't had any problems whatsoever with in over a year. Hurray!

Lesson learned in all of this: Don't listen to my brother when it comes to computer advice.

Your processor cooking off because your CPU fan has given up is actually rather unlikely to affect your hard drive. Unless the cooling in the case was underpowered enough that just a little difference in temperature would cause an issue.

And that place should have replaced the CPU with an equivalent or paid you for it for their screw up of putting in a fan that wasn't powerful enough to cool the CPU that you had. Even if the CPU had been damaged from the previous fan dying, it still worked until you tried to run it with the wussy fan in it.

And CPU fans die. It's a fact of computer life. Your brother really can't control the lifespan of the fan. Heck, my boyfriend's CPU fan is having issues after only half a year. Thankfully, they're cheap and easy to replace.

So says a "girl" who builds her own computers.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

This is just one of the many reasons I married an IT Geek I'm pretty much IT illiterate so whenever something goes wrong, I just hand it to hubby, bat my eyelashes and say "Please fix"
      "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
      "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
      "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

I've encountered that from tech support, and I'm a guy, so it's not gender specific. Most of them are under the impression that anyone who calls knows nothing. Otherwise, they wouldn't have called, would they? In my case they're dealing with someone who's been building computers since he was a kid and 8088's were mainstream, has degrees in computer science and software engineering, and 12 years experience in the field. If I'm calling for support because of a PC problem, you'd better believe I've already tried everything you're about to make me try. Try a different monitor? Check. Try another video card? Check. Try another hard drive? Check. Reset the CMOS? Check. Hold Esc+Ctrl+Page Down while rubbing your head and crossing your eyes? Check. Just send me the damn part, mkay?

A bit off topic, but my most memorable support call:

A Gateway computer's monitor has started turning sea green, but with a good whack to the side, it would go back to normal. Obviously a defective monitor. So, I call Gateway support (This was in '97 while I worked for a bank):

Gateway Support: Thanks for calling, may I have your PC serial number.
        Me: It's <number>.
        GS: Thanks, I have the information up, how can I help you.
        Me: Yes, this monitor is starting to turn sea green every so often.
        GS: Sorry to hear that, have you tried the monitor on another PC.
        Me: No, I haven't, but I am sure the monitor is the problem.
        GS: Can we try it on a different video card to be sure?
        Me: We can, but I can tell you that if I whack it hard on the side the colors go back to normal.
        GS: ....
        GS: Your shipping address is <address>?

I had a new monitor the next day.
        A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

As annoying as it is, I think they pretty much have to assume that the person they are talking to wouldn't be able to power the thing on without help. Although it would be nice if there was the "I've already going through your list and I have a pretty good idea of what's wrong" option.

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post

He also seemed convinced that because I'm a girl, I had no freaking clue what I was talking about.
            Ok, I didn't choose the name Merriweather without having a certain resemblance to the chubby, rather inept little fairy. And I'm a grandmother. And, of course, female. Try being all that and still get a computer person in a shop to believe you might have a clue. They take one look at this rather rounded, grandmotherly female and either want to take me by the hand and explain what a mouse is, or decide I'm an easy target and try to sell me the whole shop with the Brooklyn Bridge thrown in for backup .

They talk down to me, or worse, speak only to my hubby Even when I tell them exactly what I want, they try to tell me I don't want that at all. I even had to complain once to a manager about the complete crap being spouted by a sales clerk - if you don't know what you're talking about, don't argue your point, no matter how much I look your great Aunt Sophie!

I have a computer degree, I programmed mainframes back when no one had PC's, I've even written code used by the military. And I've had a computer since years before they became fashionable, and while not an expert on all aspects, have kept up quite well with the technology, thank you.

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
              Although it would be nice if there was the "I've already going through your list and I have a pretty good idea of what's wrong" option.
              Unfortunately, many of the same people who really don't know what they're doing (but think they do) are the ones most likely to select that option because they know in their heart of hearts that they're Speshul™, so even if a Clueful One™ does use the option appropriately, the guy taking the call will most likely assume "idiot who doesn't know as much as they think they do".

Sure, with experience it's easy to sort the two types out, but that still takes extra time, which kinda defeats the purpose of a "Clue Express Lane".
              No matter how low my opinion of humanity as a whole gets, there are always over-achievers who seek to surpass my expectations.

Comment

Quoth Nohbody View Post
                Unfortunately, many of the same people who really don't know what they're doing (but think they do) are the ones most likely to select that option because they know in their heart of hearts that they're Speshul™, so even if a Clueful One™ does use the option appropriately, the guy taking the call will most likely assume "idiot who doesn't know as much as they think they do".

Sure, with experience it's easy to sort the two types out, but that still takes extra time, which kinda defeats the purpose of a "Clue Express Lane".
                Quoted for Emphasis

As long as your not speaking to a flowchart muppet the best way to show that you're knowledgeable about PCs is to tell them off the bat "I've done A and got result B, then I tried C and got result D, from that result I tried G and got...etc. I think it's a xxxxxxx fault, is there anything else I could check?"

This way shows that you know what you're talking about and is also asking the tech for their input because a) it defuses any potential "I'm an expert" arrogance and b) they generally know more about the machines and their own particular 'quirks'
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                  Ok, I didn't choose the name Merriweather without having a certain resemblance to the chubby, rather inept little fairy. And I'm a grandmother. And, of course, female. Try being all that and still get a computer person in a shop to believe you might have a clue. They take one look at this rather rounded, grandmotherly female and either want to take me by the hand and explain what a mouse is, or decide I'm an easy target and try to sell me the whole shop with the Brooklyn Bridge thrown in for backup . (snip) I have a computer degree, I programmed mainframes back when no one had PC's, I've even written code used by the military. And I've had a computer since years before they became fashionable, and while not an expert on all aspects, have kept up quite well with the technology, thank you.
                  I am reminded of how Dilbert's mother sometimes demonstrates that she's a lot more computer savvy than she seems: http://www.dilbert.com/fast/1995-12-19/

Comment

Being the only one in the house willing to learn the stuff, I was tasked at the tender age of 13 with setting up and managing both modems in the house (my computer and my stepfather's computer in his basement office both shared a line for internet--usually the way that worked was he would just yell up through the heating vent if he needed to use it and I would unplug my computer from the jack).

My computer's modem tended to get cranky if it wasn't reconnected just right (phone cable inserted gently while standing on your head facing east on an alternate Tuesday ...), so one day some fairly obscure setting got borked. Support was still US-based at that time; what I found interesting about the call was the technician determined from the get-go what I had already tried and went from there.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                      I am reminded of how Dilbert's mother sometimes demonstrates that she's a lot more computer savvy than she seems: http://www.dilbert.com/fast/1995-12-19/
                      LOVE IT !!!!

Madness takes it's toll....
                      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                      X