This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCD'S "fast" food

the KFC fail thread reminded me of this.

Coming in for nightshift last week I hadn't had time to make anything to bring with me to eat (usually just a sandwhich or leftovers from dinner or something).

didn't feel like pizza so decided to stop at Mcdonalds. i had 30 minutes before my shift started and was about a 5 min. drive from the hospital.

I see there's a group of people standing off to the side of the counter (about 5 or 6 people) so im thikning 'aw crap my orders gonna take awhile'

no turns out this group only had ordered like.. 2 things to eat and a drink. so pretty small.

I ordered a drink and a sandwhich...

I was there for 20 friggin minutes. (for those keeping track at home that's 20 minutes from wakling in the door to walking out with a coke and a chicken sandwhich). and from the comments i overheard from teh group of people waiting before me it sounded like THEY had been waiting for a bit before I got in.

this mcd's is one of the 24/7 ones so it had a decent amount of staff at 1030 at night.

I was almost late for my shift because of waiting for a damn sandwhich.

ah well.
    Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Back at my old job, we only got 30 minutes for lunch, and we had to clock in and out for it so if we were late, we got in trouble. I came REAL close a couple of times to being late 'cuz of some fast food place that took 20+ minutes for a simple combo meal. So I feel your pain.

Oddly enough, the McD's back in my hometown had the best service late at night. They were 24/7 too and I'd sometimes stop if I had to work till 11:30pm or if I went out to the bars with some friends of mine. The service was really fast and the food really fresh and hot whenever I'd go that late. The guy who usually worked the window was really friendly too.

Comment

I'm really not happy with the 24/7 McDonalds right now, unless they have finally made menu changes.

They have a very limited menu at night. No cheeseburgers, no doublecheeseburgers, no McChickens....just the most expensive things on the menu and the biggest sandwiches......

Sorry McDonalds, not everyone eating at night is drunk....plenty of us have to work or are on our way home and are not happy with the limited options and the high prices.

And if you want fast food where I'm from late at night, you have until 2:00 to hit up Wendys or Taco Hell....otherwise it's McDonalds and their 3 item menu, order a pizza, or go home and make something.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

There's a Mickey D's just inside my local Wal-Mart. They're notorious for taking an incredibly long time to get people's orders out. They make you wait & wait & wait & wait some more & wait & wait & then have the nerve to get bitchy at you when you complain.

Comment

I've always been told that "fast food" referred to how fast you had to eat it before it was inedible, not how fast it was served.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Back when I worked at the supermarket, I worked 5 hours on weekdays and a full 8 hour shift on Saturdays. We got an hour lunch if we worked a full day, and I'd usually go to the Pizza Hut that was up the street since I didn't have a car at the time.

I'd always call it in before I left, and by the time I got there it would usually be ready. Apparently someone dropped the ball the one time, because not ony was it not ready when I got there, I was waiting awhile. I barely had enough time to scarf it down and walk back. I was not happy.

I'll admit I had a bit of an SC moment. At the bottom of the check was their slogan at the time, "Making it great!" I crossed out "great" and wrote "late." If they noticed it when I went up to pay, they didn't say anything.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
              I'm really not happy with the 24/7 McDonalds right now, unless they have finally made menu changes.

They have a very limited menu at night. No cheeseburgers, no doublecheeseburgers
              You can't has cheezburger?
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Apparently not.

I almost wanted to say that night, "Why did you even bother becoming 24 hour?!"

Comment

I've noticed this as well. Some places are incredibly fast. I custom order (#3, plain) so they have to make it from scratch. It takes a little longer, but no biggie.

There's a place near me that will have my order ready to go before I'm able to put my wallet back into my pocket! And its 100% accurate! I'm complimented them many times on their absolutely amazing speed.

But then for all the places that have time machines in the back room, you get other places that do everything in slow motion. I was once trapped in a Taco Bell drive-through for an excruciating 50 minutes.

Comment

The worst place we had near work was Burger King. It's in downtown Jacksonville, inside the Greyhound bus station. One day, I had thirty minutes for my dinner break, so I walked over there. There was only one person in line, and it turned out she had been there for five minutes, just to get a Whopper, Jr. I had ordered a chicken sandwich, and by the time this lady got her food, fifteen more minutes went by. I was twenty-five minutes into my break by the time I got my sandwich, that I had to race back to my building, eating my sandwich on the way. And, this was walking in the middle of downtown with homeless people scampering about.

Their attitude was they were the only fast food place within a mile of the bus station, so where else were you going to go? Fortunately, a Subway down the block opened, which treated people better.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                      I almost wanted to say that night, "Why did you even bother becoming 24 hour?!"
                      Because that's the average wait time for the customers?

Rapscallion

Comment

I find that the wait time at fast-food places varies a lot. It mostly depends on whether they have it ready, or need to make it from scratch.

The exception is Subway. Whatever else you say about them, they know how to keep a production pipeline moving. There are occasional delays of a minute or so while they replace an empty bucket o' veg, but that's about it. Unfortunately they're also rather expensive.

In a burger joint I'm not usually kept waiting a long time. Maybe 10 minutes if it's busy and they've just run out of what I want. The other day it took more time to order than to receive, partly because my Finnish is still a bit weak - but I got a fairly decent-sized meal, quickly, for €5.

In a takeaway, I could easily be waiting longer. Usually they make pizzas to order, so you're at least waiting for the oven cycle. Chinese takeaways tend to have a reservoir of meal components which they can put together fairly rapidly, then shove in the microwave, but I find that these still usually take a while.

I should go to a good kebab place at some point to remind myself what they're like - the local speciality is Iskender kebab, which is served with yoghurt. :-9

Comment

A lot of times, it really depends on that shift's crew, and how they work together.

I'm not sure what particular shift it is, but every Friday right when lunch begins and I go get some food before I go home, it's always a snap and I hardly ever have to wait (although sometimes there's a few min wait for the chicken or fries...and it ends up being less than that). That particular shift (because it's the same people every week) seems to have great teamwork and work well together...very efficient.

Then you get to the overnight crew and it will take you guaranteed almost as long as it would at KFC (or longer) for a Double Quarterpounder with cheese. UGH.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            I've always been told that "fast food" referred to how fast you had to eat it before it was inedible, not how fast it was served.
                            "It is called 'fast food' because it speeds you to an early grave." - Chiun (Joey Grey), from the movie "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins"
                            "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                              A lot of times, it really depends on that shift's crew, and how they work together.
                              Exactly!

When I wander into the local Chez Ron, I can usually tell if it's going to be a long wait and a borked order or quick and accurate depending on who the MOD is. There's one, with one crew, that borks everything every time.

B
                              "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                              I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Working...
                              X