Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really not one of those people who doesn't realize that a cow has teeth, but I would be equally surprised if I found some in my next burger.
    Then again, your burger's meat probably comes from a part of the cow pretty far from the head. Whereas a whole lobster is, well, whole.

Although my dad once told me about a place, I think it was Florida, where they would give a sharp tug on the middle "scale" of the lobster's tail, before chopping it in halves and putting it on the grill. Apparently, attached to that "scale" are a few organs that come off altogether with the "scale" if done properly. Those parts, while edible, don't usually taste too good, especially when grilled, rather than boiled. According to dad, that was the best lobster he ever had.
    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Hyena Dandy View Post
      I may not know how most restaurants do it, but allow me to impart to you the ancient secrets of the Steele Family Lobster recipe. It goes as follows.

Take one (1) lobster.
      Add one (1) lobster pot.
      Boil
      Consume
      Odd...that's also my husband's recipe for crab legs. It also includes melting a stick of butter in the microwave though and dipping while eating.

Mmm...crab legs...

Sadly out here we don't do whole lobsters. Lots of tails that you have to sell your soul for. That's what we get for being so far away from the sea. We do however get giant slabs of steak off the cows in the area for pretty cheap.
      "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        "meat" is muscle.

Lobsters also have hearts and gills and stomachs and livers and kidneys and all the other bits and pieces that make us up.
        wait, people have gills

sorry, couldn't resist
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth kiwiwinelover View Post
          Awesome. Just Awesome.
          It got me out of my shell.

Comment

our roomie and I have a system when we do the annual birthday gorge at Custys

See, I like the tails, and she likes the green and red goop so we split the lobsters, I get her lobster tails and she gets the front half of my lobsters. So my lobster torsos don't go to waste =)

I also bring a small snack sized ziplock with a couple of tablespoons of granulated garlic, I like to add some to the drawn butter along with lemon for a lemon garlic butter =)
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth KaySquirrel View Post
              *nods* I've been served 'whole' fish before, and the insides had been removed. Same as a 'whole' chicken in a restaurant isn't as 'whole' as it would be at the grocery store, with the bags of innards included, right?
              I see your point. But if you think of lobsters as oversized shrimps (which is not all that inaccurate), you probably wouldn't be as surprised about them not being "cleaned" before being cooked.
              "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

I don't recommend eating lobster tamales, they are the lobster equivalent of livers and accumulate the toxins the lobsters are exposed to during their relatively long lives.

Comment

mmmmm lobster...

This from the woman who growing up, when she went to het grandparents house, would get fresh lobster at LEAST 4 times while visiting.

And by fresh I mean they come in off the boat, boiled, and served later that evening.

....my grandparents lived on the coast of maine.
                  It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                    I don't recommend eating lobster tamales, they are the lobster equivalent of livers and accumulate the toxins the lobsters are exposed to during their relatively long lives.
                    We eat chicken liver and cow liver. Why would eating lobster liver be substantially different?

While it is the job of the liver to filter the blood, what gets filtered gets flushed, which is the point of the organ in the first place. It doesn't actually store all the stuff it filters or our livers would be bigger than the rest of our bodies by now.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Hyena Dandy View Post
                      I may not know how most restaurants do it, but allow me to impart to you the ancient secrets of the Steele Family Lobster recipe. It goes as follows.

Take one (1) lobster.
                      Add one (1) lobster pot.
                      Boil
                      Consume
                      You forgot the water - and yes, some people will forget that.

In its simplest form, that is true but for a true "bake":

Take a net bag. Add one lobster (preferably between 2-3 pounds, or 2 1.5 pounders), roughly 1-2 pounds of steamers (not little necks, not mahoganies, not quahogs, STEAMERS), one ear of freshly shucked corn (if you're grilling the corn - don't shuck it before you cook it), 3-5 (or more) red potatoes, and if you're really going all out, about half to one pound of shrimp (26-30 count raw) and maybe a small kielbasa or linguicia / chouizo (for you Rhode Islanders) tie the bag and boil the whole thing.

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                      People seem to think the same thing about crabs.

I've seen people eat the damn lungs after cracking a small hole through the shell.
                      Ever hear of soft shell crabs? You eat the whole thing - including the shell.
                      Quote Dalesys:
                      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        We eat chicken liver and cow liver. Why would eating lobster liver be substantially different?
                        Lobsters are bottom feeders and wind up picking through a lot of the trash that gets dumped in the ocean. The lobsters you eat are also several years old, much older than your typical cow or chicken, and they wind up being nice bioaccumulators.

http://www.foxnews.com/search-result...er-warning.htm

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                          How very shellfish of the SC's to demand free food.
                          Apparently they thought they could...

...claw their way out of paying the bill.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! !!!!!!!!!!!!
                          The New Orleans Saints are your 2009 NFL champions.

Believe dat.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                            Ever hear of soft shell crabs? You eat the whole thing - including the shell.
                            Yeah man, I've heard of them, seen them, eaten them, etc.

But a hard crab that you have to pull the legs off, pop the top, take off the shell, clean and eat? Cracking a hole in the shell and eating what you pull out isn't a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                            X