This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I won't trade my hat with your cap

A few nights ago, I had dinner out with a couple of friends. While we were sharing parting words on the underground platform, a drunk guy approaches us. Making a mostly unintelligible comment about one of my friend and I wearing hats.

I decide to ignore him, when, out of the corner of my eye, I see something reaching for my hat. I raise my hand to hold onto my hat while I turn around, and sure enough, it's the drunk guy. I give him the Death Glare.

He has a very thick accent, reeks of cheap booze and mostly mumbles. The disctinctive smell of cold ashtrays subtly underlines his Eau de Booze cologne. He makes another mostly unintelligible comment about my hat, while he's reaching for it again. I step back, telling him to back off, still holding onto my hat.

He looks at me angrily, like I've insulted him by trying to keep him out of my personal space and trying to take my belongings without my permission. He then says "You give me that", pointing to my hat, "and I give you this", pointing to his worn-out Raiders cap. To say that this cap had seen better days would be understating an understatement: it looked like it had been decades since this cap had seen a better day.

I reply to his offer with a very sharp "No". He looks at me as if I had just insulted his mother and and gloated about how I liked to kick puppies. He still asks, "You won't give it to me?" in the most offended tone. Again, I reply "No", and look at him defiantly.

For a split second, I wonder if he's going to try and punch me. But he finally says "I have plenty like those", and strides away with a smug look on his face, as if he had won a most epic battle of wits.

I was still furious about this when I arrived home, about half an hour later. I'm really happy he didn't try anything silly, though. On an underground platform, it would have gotten ugly.
    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Is it just me or is there an upswing of the philosophy "What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine" and other backwards entitlement to someone else's things?
    "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

what kind of hat were you wearing?

Comment

About the same kind you can see on this pic. Not the exact same hat, but same style. The one on the pic was made of wool felt. The one I have now is made of a rather heavy and sturdy cotton fabric. Still black.
        "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
          About the same kind you can see on this pic. Not the exact same hat, but same style. The one on the pic was made of wool felt. The one I have now is made of a rather heavy and sturdy cotton fabric. Still black.
          Dude... can you talk to my husband? He would look amazing in a hat like that, but he won't wear anything you can't embroider a Flames logo onto. Not that there's anything wrong with ball caps, especially, but some variety and style would be kind of nice.

Oh, and nice hair, btw.
          What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
            Dude... can you talk to my husband? He would look amazing in a hat like that, but he won't wear anything you can't embroider a Flames logo onto. Not that there's anything wrong with ball caps, especially, but some variety and style would be kind of nice.
            Embroider the Flames logo onto a backing fabric. Sew the logo-and-fabric onto the wool felt or the sturdy cotton fabric.

It's sacrelige to a gorgeous hat, but at least he'll wear it.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

One night I was outside the bar and mentioned to some guy passing by that I liked his hat.
              He gave it to me.

Comment

Those are called fedora hats.

just fyi.

cutenoob
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                  Those are called fedora hats.

just fyi.

cutenoob
                  Beat me to it!

Comment

No, I won't trade my hat with your crap
                    There, fixed it.

Comment

Invasion of one's space and trying to remove something from one self is a violation of private space...If someone tried that with me I would have more than likely smacked the asshole right in the face.
                      NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

Quoth Kitten in the box View Post
                        If someone tried that with me I would have more than likely smacked the asshole right in the face.
                        The problem with me is that I would very much like to do so. I'm usually good at managing my anger, though, but that's only out of fear of the consequences. I've had some pretty destructive fits of rage when I was but a scrawny kid, notably one that ended up with another kid in hospital because of me. I don't want that to ever happen again. Especially now that I am a 1.90m, 100kg full grown adult.

Besides, I don't know how to fight - and don't really want to, actually. And even if I did, I'm not sure how useful it would be once I've gone berserk - and if it gets down to physical involvement, with me, it's berserk or nothing. Not quite something you would want to happen on an underground platform.

Long story short, as much as I wanted to demonstrate the ills of invading someone's personal space by making my fist invade his face's personal space, I'd much rather not end in the newspaper because of it.

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
                          Besides, I don't know how to fight - and don't really want to, actually. And even if I did, I'm not sure how useful it would be once I've gone berserk - and if it gets down to physical involvement, with me, it's berserk or nothing. Not quite something you would want to happen on an underground platform.
                          You might consider looking into a martial art that specializes in things like holds. The art is really good for managing emotions, and there is a certain comfort to be had in knowing that if it came to it, you could subdue someone without hurting them.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                          X