This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hm, shouldn't you be in bed by now?

Okay, more of "hearing" rather than a "sighting".

Saturday evening, at 11.30pm local time, I received a phone call.

At first, given how the caller kind of stuttered and fumbled around words, I thought it was from an offshore telemarketing call center. But I was wrong.

Once the caller finally managed to enunciate his enquiry pertaining to whether or not I was indeed the person he was trying to reach, to which I replied by the affirmative, he uttered what he must have thought to be the epitome of humour, the very pinnacle of his uncomparable wits, saying he, and an undisclosed number of persons, were actively invading my rear-end cavity, and then hung up.

This was the first prank call I've ever gotten in my whole life. I thought it was rather funny rather than aggravating, mostly because he/they didn't call back.

Still, the guy sounded like he was twelve at most and, even on a Saturday night, I felt he sould have been either in bed or supervised by someone. Even more so if he was not alone. Seems like the parents decided to be cheap and not get a baby-sitter. Or misjudged the maturity of their Special Little Precious Snowflake.
    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

eh. 12 is around the time my parents started leaving me alone. maybe it was the first time the kids parents left him alone and was thinking sweeet! prank call!
    If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
    ^_^

Comment

Even if he wasn't alone 12 is old enough that the kid can sneak away to use the phone without raising suspician.

The best prank call I ever saw happened at a party. One person dailed the number then handed it to somebody else who had no idea what he should say. He ended up asking about a lost cat for awhile before being identified and quickly hanging up. It should be noted the person being pranked did not own a cat.

Comment

I was about 9 when I got my first prank call.

However this was also in the early days of Caller ID, which my parents had.

So I called them back.

They hung up fast when I said the same opening line they said to me.

Comment

A friend of mine got a prank obscene call and then starting asking for details and clarifications. Chatted with him as if he were an old time friend taking about the neighborhood. Lasted a good twenty minutes before the caller finally gave up and ended the call.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

lol that's my favorite way to deal with annoying callers. i tried to sell cookies to a telemarketer once...but we were oddly disconnected.
            If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
            ^_^

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              A friend of mine got a prank obscene call and then starting asking for details and clarifications. Chatted with him as if he were an old time friend taking about the neighborhood. Lasted a good twenty minutes before the caller finally gave up and ended the call.
              There used to be a obscene caller on my college campus who'd work his way through the women's dorms one by one about once or twice a month. He was commonly known as the "Phonejacker." He once got a friend of mine, and she just started talking about food. He tried to turn it perverted again by talking about donuts and hot dogs, but every time she'd start drifting the conversation into ice cream or the benefits of vegetarianism or something.

He gave up and ended the call after about 15 minutes, apparently.
              » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

And how I wish she had stayed on campus to deal with him when he called the room the next year. Jerk. The guy, not her.
                My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

My mother and aunt worked at an out-sourced messaging service for a while that handled calls for doctors, lawyers and the like. Possibly not too terribly different than Gravekeeper's line, only without the lottery tickets and catalog calls.

They'd have a half dozen obscene callers who would call regularly to the lines that they weren't allowed to hang up on. After about a week, those always got passed to my mother or my aunt who would then proceed to just talk to these guys. More often than not, it would end up a normal conversation because the guys were more interested in attention than being jerks.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                  X