Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you for damaging our ecosystem!!

One thing I can't stand is the thoughtless tourists who happen to plague this area even when the economy is at its worst.

My parents are staying at a very nice time share in Pompano and they're on the 6th floor (out of 6) with a beach view. I mean, you walk out onto their balcony and you see the beach straight ahead with NOTHING between you and it except a lagoon and a small dune.

Now, the ecosystem here can be very sensitive (like many). The tide-lagoon has a lot of fish in it as well as plant life. They also have signs around saying "DO NOT FEED THE FISH" (Or sea turtles etc..), even on the foot bridge across it to the beach.

Well, a couple, obviously tourists (why else would they be at the time share?) walked out onto the bridge with several full plastic shopping bags. I thought they were heading to the beach for a picnic, no big deal.

Then, something scary happened.

First, I understand how some people feel the need to feed the wildlife, you don't want to throw away food, you want to help them, etc.. Normally I'll look the other way if you throw a piece of bread (broken up) or two at birds or fish. That's no biggie.

These two started pouring ENTIRE BAGS of potato chips into the lagoon (thanfully only the chips, not the bags). From what I could see, it looked like anything you can imagine, Doritos, Cheetos, regular chips (I'm assuming different flavors). These seemed to be mostly full bags (at least), some they even OPENED and dumped the chips into the lagoon. They must have gone though 10-15 bags of chips, dumping one after another.

My wife and I wanted to complain to the time share management but my parents insisted that we didn't (it's their time share) - they didn't want any backlash (I know, they wouldn't have gotten any).

Don't these people realize how unhealthy these foods are for us, let alone marine life? Plus, a lot of it wasn't eaten so it just drifted in the lagoon and it looked like the canals where I live (not so touristy and clean). I really wished some of the property managers went out to talk to them but no one did.

Sometimes, I guess I shouldn't listen to my parents.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

A pellet gun and decent aim would have put a quick stop to that crap.

I drove up to a local national forest a few weeks back and was surprised to count no fewer than three dead deer on the side of the road once I entered the state land. I couldn't imagine that the forestry service would have let them lay there long, and they all looked pretty fresh, but three? I also saw a number of deer lurking in the trees and glades by the side of the road.

I figured out how that was happening as I pulled into the campsites. A crowd of vacationers in a huge gas-guzzler of an extended-cab truck were jostling each other for the right to hand feed bread to a pair of does and their fawns that had walked up and stuck their heads in the truck windows.

Yeah, that's right, let's teach the little ones from the start to not fear the vrooms that run really fast through the forest. The dead deer had probably been hovering along the roadside, expecting the vrooms to pull over and disgorge tasty treats while making weird mewling noises. But some vrooms don't stop, and the deer that don't fear them pay the price.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

That reminds me of the time I was out at Yosemite National Park a few years ago. We pulled in to walk one of the trails and came upon a group of elementary-school aged children eating lunch in the forest.

Hovering right behind them were about five deer, waiting for somebody to drop something tasty. And they were close too. You probably could've reached out and pet the damn things.

I went for a walk along the railroad tracks tonight and scared a couple deer away. I could see their little white tails up in the air as they fled. And this is right in the city. I've seen does with their fawns back there.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I hate hate hate it when people feed wild animals.

Comment

Could be worse. The Blue Ridge Parkway, "America's Most Scenic Drive," connects the Shenandoah and Great Smokey Mountains national parks, and winds through my city as it does so.

It is also the most popular place in the area for murderers to dispose of the bodies, or parts of the bodies, of their victims. They found one earlier this week in fact, a 21-year-old woman who, as it turns out, was six weeks pregnant.

Ironically enough, the next most popular place is the river and if dumped in the river, bodies tend to wash up near one other area tourist attraction, or on the very property of another. I guess it's the currents, but if disposed of in the river, your body has the highest chance of drifting ashore in a picnic area right by the North Carolina Arboretum or if not there, on the grounds of the Biltmore Estate.

I'm not bringing this up to be ghoulish, despite what you may be thinking. I'm bringing it up because it's the abuse and defilement of the environment and its beauty just like that mentioned in the OP. To say nothing of the victims themselves, it's just wrong to desecrate such beautiful places with this kind of evil, just as on a milder level its wrong to dump your chips in the lake and care nothing if it kills the fish.
          Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 10-21-2009, 10:07 AM.
          Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Well, at least with the cases of bodies, most of them are fully natural and not so highly processed.

Most of them.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
              ...It is also the most popular place in the area for murderers to dispose of the bodies, or parts of the bodies, of their victims. ...
              Is that in the brochures?
              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                Is that in the brochures?
                No, but it's tourists who discover it for themselves. If you get my drift.
                Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

There is a Rose Garden the bf and I like to walk around, and there is a really awesome koi pond with ducks and cranes....and signs saying "Do not Feed the Animals!" So I always get annoyed seeing people throwing the equivialnt loaf of bread in the pond.....idiots. (though there was one cute incident...this family was feeding the ducks, and when the left, the kids were walking single-file, and some ducklings started to follow )

I have seen places that see bird feed if the kids need the ducks, that is okay, but when the sign says Do Not Feed, ya don't feed!
                  "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                  "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

All stupid people, but by far the most idiotic are those who feed bears. This ain't Disney, folks. As the great Far Side cartoon once had a bear saying, "Look at these teeth! Look at these claws! And you think we're just supposed to eat BERRIES?"
                    Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Quoth seigus View Post
                      All stupid people, but by far the most idiotic are those who feed bears. This ain't Disney, folks. As the great Far Side cartoon once had a bear saying, "Look at these teeth! Look at these claws! And you think we're just supposed to eat BERRIES?"
                      Reminds me of a story my sister told me. When her and her husband were up in Tahoe for a weekend. They stopped by a restaurant and on the way in my sister saw a BIG brown bear with two little cubs hanging out right at the railing of the restaurant. The cubs were playing and romping in the grass and all these tourists were gathering around the cubs taking pictures and getting BETWEEN momma and the babies. Some people had bread and shit to give to the CUTE WIDDLE BEAR BABBIES!

She said there were no words for how completely dumbfounded she was.
                      "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                      -Red

Comment

There is an old Yellowstone story (40's? 50's?) my dad mentions about the tourists who wanted a cute picture...

Of a bear holding their baby!
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          There is an old Yellowstone story (40's? 50's?) my dad mentions about the tourists who wanted a cute picture...

Of a bear holding their baby!
                          You mean the baby wasn't a gift?
                          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                            I hate hate hate it when people feed wild animals.
                            I think that should be qualified. I have a bird feeder. Technically, I should take it down because the little sparrows and finches are wild animals?

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
                            No, but it's tourists who discover it for themselves. If you get my drift.
                            No pun intended.
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

There's a reserve near where I grew up where they have a designated bird-feeding place, and the cafe sells birdfeed.

Specific birdfeed approved by the forestry vets for the species that live in that forest.

Specific location AWAY from the cafe's eating area - close enough to ensure that the stupid type of tourist doesn't go 'oh, that's too far', but far enough away that the birds want to stay near the yummy birdseed, not the weird human food.
                              Oh, and well away from the carpark, where no vehicles (other than powered wheelchairs) ever go.

I think it's one of the best compromises I've seen between allowing tourists to feed the wild animals, and ensuring the wild animals are safe.

Similarly, many country tourist resorts have a couple of hand-reared kangaroos (mama was killed by a car, joey was rescued, joey has lived in the resort all his life). While not domesticated, these joeys are tame.

You have to get a rehab permit to keep the joey, but apparently for kangaroos the rehab permit is basically proving you're not an idiot, have the appropriate facilities (including enough room) and are willing to listen to your vet. (Country vets get a lot of experience in supporting rehabbers. Unfortunately.)

My understanding is that while it's relatively easy to keep the joey alive and well, it's very hard to teach them how to live in the wild. So having them as a 'pet' of the resort is another good compromise. Tourists get to have close encounters with 'exotic Australian animals', the joey has a comfortable and healthy life, the wild kangaroos get to be left alone.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X