This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Mikkel View Post
    You should try Fred Saberhagens The Dracula Tape. He has written a whole series, mixing Vlad Tepes life with modern vampire stories. In my opinion the latter stories, except perhaps The Holmes-Dracula Files, are not nearly as good as the first
    If we're recommending vampire stories, I strongly suggest Those Who Hunt The Night and Travelling With The Dead by Barbara Hambly. They are excellent books, and the vampires don't sparkle.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

And if you want a Vampire novel/series that has a female vampire who absoloutely kicks ass in a "Damsel certainly not in distress and who is more than likely to be carryinf the valiant prince to safety" you should check out The Vampire Genevieve
      I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        If we're recommending vampire stories, I strongly suggest Those Who Hunt The Night and Travelling With The Dead by Barbara Hambly. They are excellent books, and the vampires don't sparkle.
        I have them and liked them too, actually I like all Barbara Hamblys books.

Comment

I like Barbara Hambly too...she wrote one of my favorite Star Trek novels. Ishmael

I liked that book because she combined two tv shows that I used to watch in reruns. Star Trek, and Here Comes The Brides. It was a fun book to read. I have my original copy of the book, and I even bought a copy for my Kindle.

It reminds me of a lot of fanfiction now, because she probably got the idea to combine the two shows because Mark Lenard appeared on both tv shows. (I watched Here Comes the Brides because David Soul and Bobby Sherman were on it)

I probably read Ishmael years before I knew what fanfiction was.

Comment

Update: I finally called around and asked what was up with goth girl* and it turns out her father owns the store. She has a pretty serious mental condition which makes it almost impossible for her to interact with people. It seems that while the doctors suggested that she would need a certain degree of care and speech therapy, he decided all she needed was some real world experience in the workplace.

O_O

What an idiot.

*And please note I don't have anything against goths in general, just this one in particular.
            Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

That's a terrible, horrible trainwreck waiting to happen...
              "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Please tell me you pointed out that she's likely driving away customers.

On second thought, scratch that. If he's the kind of genius to put her in retail instead of therapy, he'll probably just reprimand/punish her because it;s "her fault" and she just needs to suck it up and get better.
                Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

I rather liked "Forever Knight". Yes, there was some angst there, but it was adult angst....there wasn't a bit of sparkle involved! Reminded me a lot of Anne Rice's vampires, too.

He has never really fleshed them out, but there are vampires in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. And they are nasty.

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                  And although some people don't like it, I enjoyed Interview With the Vampire movie.
                  I liked the books more. As usual, there was a certain amount of unnecessary mucking around with the storyline from the book to the movie. I loved the crossover with the vampires and the Mayfair witches. I'm disappointed that she's no longer going to write in the genre. I was hoping for a follow-up to The Mummy.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  Dammit vampires are not supposed to sparkle! It is an abomination to God and mankind!
                  Are you saying that in a Tom Hanks "there's no crying in baseball" voice? 'Cause that's how I heard it!

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                  "Oh my God-there's a girl in the shop!"
                  Which caused everyone to stare at me-
                  They did that on "Big Bang Theory"!

Quoth Mamadrae View Post
                  God this makes me want to finish my book all the faster. My female lead might not be a butt kicking babe at first but by the end you bet your arse she'll be able to stand on her own two feet without some super hot guy needing to make her life worth something.
                  This is why, although they have nothing to do with vampires, I love Diana Gabaldon's books. Claire Fraser and Brianna MacKenzie can take care of themselves.

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                  (hate the "romantic genre" - can't read stoker, shelley, or poe short stories, however the poetry that came out of that time period - I loooove it!)
                  I have never tried to read Stoker, don't like Shelley, but I do like Poe. Especially The Tell-Tale Heart.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post

Are you saying that in a Tom Hanks "there's no crying in baseball" voice? 'Cause that's how I heard it!

I didn't even think of that.

Now I've got Tom Hanks in my head saying that in character as Jimmy Dugan. Awesome.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      I didn't even think of that.

Now I've got Tom Hanks in my head saying that in character as Jimmy Dugan. Awesome.
                      There's no sparkling vampires!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        There's no sparkling vampires!
                        Wouldn't "There's no sparkling in vampire stories!" work better, though? I mean, if you're going to invoke the movie (which, for the record, I've not seen nor had any interest in seeing, but do remember an ad clip that had that scene), might as well get it as close as possible without breaking things.
                        No matter how low my opinion of humanity as a whole gets, there are always over-achievers who seek to surpass my expectations.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          I rather liked "Forever Knight". Yes, there was some angst there, but it was adult angst....there wasn't a bit of sparkle involved! Reminded me a lot of Anne Rice's vampires, too.

He has never really fleshed them out, but there are vampires in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. And they are nasty.

I liked the books more. As usual, there was a certain amount of unnecessary mucking around with the storyline from the book to the movie. I loved the crossover with the vampires and the Mayfair witches. I'm disappointed that she's no longer going to write in the genre. I was hoping for a follow-up to The Mummy.
                          Ditto on Forever Knight and the Dresden Files.

As for Rice, I prefer the earlier Vampire books, and the first Witches book. The later ones involved a little too much supernatural incest for my tastes.

But I have always wanted to read a sequel to The Mummy. I think it was her best book.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Nohbody View Post
                            Wouldn't "There's no sparkling in vampire stories!" work better, though? I mean, if you're going to invoke the movie (which, for the record, I've not seen nor had any interest in seeing, but do remember an ad clip that had that scene), might as well get it as close as possible without breaking things.
                            Hey, yeah, that does work better!

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            As for Rice, I prefer the earlier Vampire books, and the first Witches book. The later ones involved a little too much supernatural incest for my tastes.
                            Same here. Lasher, the character was just a little too creepy for my tastes. And don't get me started on the twisted, inaccurate history of the Taltos/Picts....

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            But I have always wanted to read a sequel to The Mummy. I think it was her best book.
                            Especially since she promised us a sequel at the end of the book!

I always found that book to be terribly romantic, too, but not in a bodice-ripper way.

Comment

Quoth Nohbody View Post
                              To my surprise the movie was amazingly well acted, directed, filmed. Everything in it was great...

Except the story was crap. >_> Some things you can't fix no matter HOW good the actors are.
                              Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

dang that girl has mental issues.

all i can think of is... well it'd be nice to say, "I'm here to make a purchase, not for you to scream at me for being different from you."

and i'd suggest talking to the manager

but seriously what kind of mental issues must you have if you have to scream at someone for having a different opinion on twilight?
                                i mean fuck it's just a book

i mean sure... i liked twilight, i'm looking forward to the next movie
                                but i don't shove it down someone's throat either.

and other "vampire" series to consider...
                                sherrilyn kenyon - just about anything of hers actually. the dark-hunters especially.
                                yeah they're romance books but hey they're pretty good. :-)
                                Last edited by PepperElf; 11-09-2009, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X