Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The next train to depart from Platform 2...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next train to depart from Platform 2...

This is the (epic?) tale of my visit home to England last week. I wont go into detail of why I went or what I did in the process, but I did have a number of amusing incidents on the way. I will say that it was at relatively short notice, which did affect my choice of transport.

Now, I was going to stay in a medium-sized town in the North-East of England, which conveniently has it's own railway station. The sensible option would be to fly into a relatively northern airport, such as Manchester, and then take the train from there. But due to airline pricing policies, Manchester proved to be an impossible (well, ridiculously expensive) goal, and the same went for the lesser airports up there. So I had to fly in via Gatwick and out via Stansted.

The first part of the journey went off quite nicely. Public transport in Helsinki is downright excellent, so I was at the airport just after the checkin desks opened without any trouble. The flight departed late, but the Captain explained that this was due to a headwind slowing them down on their outward leg, and it would be a tailwind for our flight, and in fact we landed almost exactly on time. No fuss at passport control, either. So far so good.

The only annoyance so far was airport security. I tend to go everywhere "prepared", in the Scout sense. The only thing I usually carry which can't go in the cabin is a Leatherman, which I had already shoved in my suitcase, but I still had to put *both* laptops in separate trays, take off my belt (with phones and torch holster) and boots, completely empty my pockets, and put everything back together again afterwards. But that's the main reason for arriving early.

I'd booked trains ahead, so after collecting my tickets from the machine, I got to dive into the utter mess that is the modern British railway system. Gatwick is directly south of London, so the computers were telling me to change at London Bridge for the Tube in order to reach King's Cross. But after identifying my train (by time, since the itinerary doesn't give the destination) and peering at a map, I realised it was going to Bedford - which is north of London - and stopping at St. Pancras on the way, which is within stone's throw of King's Cross. Great, one less change and no messing about with long escalators, thank you, but why don't the computers realise that?

Eventually the train - not the first one, since I'd allowed time to get through the airport - pulled in to Platform 2. The guard came through after we set off, I had my ticket ready to show him, and was going to ask whether, despite the booking being only to London Bridge, I could stay on to St. Pancras. But, just before he got to me... he encountered an SC.

A fare dodger.

Cue roughly 10 minutes of explaining that there was a £20 penalty to pay and how would you like to arrange that, and the alternative is a court appearance where they'll fine you a heck of a lot more than that.

Just to put this in perspective, it is a very rare train in Britain which doesn't have a guard on it, roughly half of whose job is to inspect tickets. On really crowded trains they might not bother, simply because pushing through the huddled masses isn't feasible, but this wasn't one of them. So I really have no idea how this genius thought he would get away with it, unless of course he'd only just arrived in the country and wasn't aware of How Things Are Done Here (which, given his ethnicity and the fact he'd got on at the airport station, is entirely possible).

Finally the guard sees my ticket and answers my question in the affirmative, just in time to come across a second fare dodger in the row just behind me.

You'd think he'd at least have tried to move further up the train, to give him a chance to get off before the inspection reached him, while the guard was busy with the previous guy. There was a corridor connection to the next three carriages right beside him.

Sigh.

Finnish trains do have ticket inspectors, but in the commuter area they are not on anywhere near every train, and are accompanied at a discreet distance by a pair of bouncers. They do often find dodgers, but not generally more than one per train. They're usually smart enough to duck out of the door when they see the inspectors arriving - though the inspectors themselves have a habit of showing up just as the doors are closing.

So, I marvel at the very existence of above-surface railway lines through the middle of London, and presently arrive at St. Pancras, from where I wend my way through the enormous building site that is King's Cross at the moment. I attempt to obtain cash from a machine, unsuccessfully - the machine doesn't like my type of debit card.

Meanwhile, it's 17:15 and my train, the 17:30, hasn't been assigned a platform yet - despite being cheerfully advertised as "On Time", and most of the platforms being clearly full of the right kind of train for the job. Ditto for the 17:33.

As a result, there are at least two full trainloads of passengers crowded into what remains of the main concourse, as that's the only place where the departure boards are visible. Oh joy. Perhaps it's a good thing the ATM didn't work, I don't want to have my pocket picked in this lot.

At 17:20, an announcement states that the 17:33 would be delayed by a few minutes, due to the incoming train having arrived late. No suggestion of why this is true, or what platform passengers could assemble on in readiness. "What about the 17:30?" I ask the general vicinity, rhetorically. The answer came shortly afterwards: "The next train to depart from Platform 2 will be the 17:30 to Edinburgh..."

...at which point there was a general mad scramble, as almost exactly half the population of the concourse fought their way past the other half on their way to Platform 2. This didn't stop at the end of the concourse, either, as guess which platform the 17:33 had pulled into? Platform 3, which was now full of passengers disembarking from it and fighting their way off the platform.

And I had to reach my seat at the far end of the furthest carriage. With a suitcase. Hooray for organisation.

Still, at least once I was in my seat, I could relax.

Until the buffet car opened for business, ten minutes later. The buffet car in British express trains marks the boundary between Standard and First Class - and is therefore rather near the tail end of the train when leaving London. So I got to fight my way down a narrow aisle in a swaying and jolting train, with the usual assortment of obstacles in the form of luggage, legs, small children, and people standing in the vestibules on their phones, then stand in line for ages while the agonisingly slow process of ordering a meal was carried out, then fight my way back again while additionally trying not to spill food and coffee all over the place.

I'd have waited for the trolley to come by (oh yeah, that was another obstacle), but unlike on most airlines, it doesn't serve hot food, and by the time it got to my end of the train it'd have run out of almost everything else as well.

But I eventually got to my destination, on time, and without even starving.

But is this the end of the story? Oh no. Of course not.

When I reached the B&B which was to be my temporary home for the next several nights, the landlady took one look at me, and said "Oh no. Not you. Sorry. We're fully booked." Now, this is a place I had been to before, and I had reserved a room in advance, and I didn't remember being an SC on my previous visit... so all I could say was "Um, may I ask why?"

It turned out to be a case of mistaken identity. Apparently there was some homeless man who looked vaguely like me - especially since I had been caught in some drizzle on my way from the station which made my hair look decidedly messy - and who had been known to stay at the B&Bs in the town and then leave without paying.

Just my luck to be mistaken for an SC. But some explanations and apologies later, I paid in advance (having found a working ATM elsewhere), and went up to dry off.

The return journey was rather more fraught. All was well until I reached Tampere, except for one of the train legs where the seat reservations had been cancelled ("nobody available to put them on"), and I had to sit next to some student who claimed, on the phone, to be "recovering from Fresher's Flu", while coughing madly all the while. Oh, and airport security again. At least Stansted wasn't nearly as much of a clusterfark as I remembered it being the previous time, by which I mean that I actually got through security in time to catch my flight.

No, where things really went wrong was when I got off the shuttle bus at Tampere railway station, and suddenly realised that the last train to Helsinki had already left. The alternatives were now the 01:45 express bus and the 04:08 sleeper train. So I headed for the bus station.

It was only when I got on the bus that I realised that my debit card, as well as not working in some British ATMs, was going to be absolutely useless for buying a bus ticket.

And now there was the immensely sticky problem that I now needed to catch the 4am train, but the ticket office at the station would not open until 5am, and the online ticket sales until 6am (don't get me started on the logic of closing a completely automated online store in the small hours). And I couldn't find an accessible ATM or automatic ticket machine anywhere.

In the end, I just got on the train, and convinced the guard to let me show him an electronic ticket just before we arrived - there was just enough of a window after 6am to let me use the online store, before we would pull into the station I needed to change at. No, he couldn't take my debit card in his portable machine either. Thank goodness for mobile internet and a charged battery...

hahaha I'd swear you said the online system was closed at night until 6am. Silly me.
    I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth Bliss View Post
      hahaha I'd swear you said the online system was closed at night until 6am. Silly me.
      Yes, that's exactly what happens.

Comment

I know, it was a way to express my opinion about that, a rather me form of sarcasm, sorry.
        I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Ouch, mistaken for a homeless SC; that had to hurt!

I've taken Amtrak in the US before, but they're almost never full; I prefer the train to buses.
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

In general I prefer the train to the bus too, but the trains don't go everywhere or at every time, so I have to compromise sometimes. I thnk Amtrak is uncrowded mostly because trains have fallen out of the American consciousness.

Finland's transport is in general very good, and my problem in Tampere was mostly a case of finding a way to pay for it. So I blame the banking system. :-)

Actually, I had a look at the bus services in this particular town while I was there. The primary service was a twice-per-hour service up the nearest valley. Everything else was somewhere between once per hour and once per week. Nothing at all ran in the late evening or early morning. That's far below what I'm used to over here.

There's a railway line over there that has trains only four times a day, and a special fifth one on Friday evenings. It's run by a single two-car DMU which is soundng a bit arthritic at one end. It's actually got so bad that the preserved railway which it connects with has started to extend it's trains over part of the public railway's length (which is allowed since privatisation). It's always a bit amusing to see people picking up the slack by bringing 50+ year old equipment into the mix!

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
              Great, one less change and no messing about with long escalators, thank you, but why don't the computers realise that?
              When I used to have to bus everywhere, I would use the local county's scheduling system to figure out how to get places. But I'd hardly ever use their actual route suggestions.

I'd find the routes that went to the areas I needed and then I'd manually figure out each bus to take. I could shave significant chunks of time and bus fare off my trips by not using their system.
              Quoth Chromatix View Post
              In general I prefer the train to the bus too, but the trains don't go everywhere or at every time, so I have to compromise sometimes. I thnk Amtrak is uncrowded mostly because trains have fallen out of the American consciousness.
              Well, they're also less convenient, no faster, and more expensive than the bus.

I had a co-worker trying to go cross country using public transit, and the Greyhound would have been about half the cost, and take the same amount of time to make the trip. I can understand the price difference, but the fact that the train gets there no faster than the bus baffles me.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                , but the fact that the train gets there no faster than the bus baffles me.
                it's because Amtrak doesn't own any track (accept for the Accella route), they just lease time from the freight companies, so they can't move much faster than the freight trains that they share the track with.
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Amtrak? Not crowded? That's not the case on the North East Corridor line. Trains between Boston and DC are usually overbooked, and your lucky to get a seat.

At least, that's been my experience.

Comment

About 1982 I was going to school in Providence RI, and lived in NYC. I used to take Amtk back and forth a lot. The day after the Thanksgiving weekend, they had stuck 18 coaches on the train I took, which made it so long that they needed to stop twice at each platform, and there was still standing room only until we got to New Haven. I wish the rest of the system was as heavily utilized as the NEC.

In my opinion, the train is the only civilized way to travel... sure it can't compete on either price or speed at least outside the Northeast, but it's way more comfortable than either flying or taking the bus. (And there was one famous story where two reporters decided to race each other from NYC to Washington DC. One took a taxi from his midtown hotel to the airport (probably LGA), flew to Dulles, then took a taxi to his new hotel; the other one walked two blocks to Penn Station, took the Metroliner to Washington Union Terminal, walked two blocks to his hotel, and beat the other guy by five minutes. Nowadays with the airport security he'd probably beat him by more than that. Shame it doesn't work that fast in the rest of the country.)

Of course with the longer distances between cities west of Chicago, it can take a while to get from one place to another by train. I took the train once between NYC and Denver; took me two and a half days, more or less. Lots of people just don't have that much time.

Comment

At 17:20, an announcement states that the 17:33 would be delayed by a few minutes, due to the incoming train having arrived late. No suggestion of why this is true, or what platform passengers could assemble on in readiness. "What about the 17:30?" I ask the general vicinity, rhetorically. The answer came shortly afterwards: "The next train to depart from Platform 2 will be the 17:30 to Edinburgh..."

...at which point there was a general mad scramble, as almost exactly half the population of the concourse fought their way past the other half on their way to Platform 2. This didn't stop at the end of the concourse, either, as guess which platform the 17:33 had pulled into? Platform 3, which was now full of passengers disembarking from it and fighting their way off the platform
                      Argh, I HATE that! It happens with the Virgin trains from Euston, but for some reason only at rush hour. It's actually quite funny to watch all these business types shoving each other out of the way and legging it through the station to actually get a seat on the train .
                      That is, of course, if you're taking the London Midland train and know exactly which platform you need to be on about 45 minutes in advance.
                      God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you. - Angelspit, '100%'

I'm sorry, I'm not authorised to give a f**k.

Comment

While I was in England, I did take a couple of trips to different parts of the county (not country) to see some interesting things that I hadn't been to for a while.

Going to York and back was easy. The trains weren't as frequent as I had hoped, but they were reasonable and I was able to spend quite a few hours there before I was due to be back in the evening.

Going to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, on the other hand, was much less efficient and enjoyable. There are two ways to get there: by train to the north end, or by road to the south end. I chose to take the train, which might have been a mistake...

Grosmont, the north-end station on the NYMR, is also on the Esk Valley line of the national network, which is officially classified as a rural community branch line, and is therefore served by a single, arthritic-sounding 2-car DMU, four times a day - at least it was a Sprinter, not a Pacer, and was therefore approximately comfortable. While the Esk Valley is a single-line railway, this very light schedule doesn't use the two passing places on it (stations with two separate platforms) at all, and utterly fails to make it worthwhile to use it to visit the tourist attractions or enjoy the scenery from it, unless one is willing to plan well ahead - and who wants to plan their holiday to that extent?

The Esk Valley trains also fail to connect sensibly with the mainline trains from the south at Middlesbrough. I had no choice but to wait 45 minutes there. At least I was able to buy a small lunch for a not-too-exorbitant price.

I used my GPS unit to measure the progress of the Esk Valley train on the way back. It averaged about 25mph, including the many stops. The maximum speed was under 50mph, and it rarely exceeded 40mph. By the time it reached Middlesbrough, the shop and waiting room had been locked up - with the vending machine inside it.

It can't be a coincidence that the NYMR is beginning to run seasonal trains on part of the Esk Valley line, using their vintage stock which is entirely capable of such speeds on relatively gentle gradients. Their normal service is on up to 1:49 gradients, which are very hard in railway terms, but their coaching stock is relatively luxurious, having been built before the fall of the railways from grace.

The NYMR itself was packed solid - clearly mostly by people who had come by road. Apparently I had caught a special-event weekend, so there were "soldiers" of various nationalities marching up and down, including "sailors" and "airmen" on leave, and one of the stations had been given an occupied-France theme, complete with armed German soldiers. That didn't stop the station platforms and train carriages being full to overflowing.

But there was a distinct lack of SCs. Quite refreshing actually.

Comment

Working...
                        X